Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Lowering a 1960 Buick, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jazzfidelity, Feb 24, 2014.

1. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

Thanks for all your help people, I know it's a four-door, but I am considering lowering her a little now, some suggest cutting a coil off each corner, some say that spring clamps are also available, what's the best way to go?

http://youtu.be/eaWnh44NRdU

2. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Love your Buick, do 60's still have kingpins in front?

3. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Hot Wrench slam the Bitch

4. randy

randy

Pretty sure GM did away with all kingpins (except trucks) by '59.

The best, cheapest way to lower that '60 would be cut coils. If it were mine, that's what I'd do... at least at first. The rears have a pigtail on the axle side of the spring which holds it in place, so be sure you cut from the top/frame side of the coil. Start out with one full coil and increase from there to suit your taste. I think I took 2 full coils out of the front & rear of this '59 Cad and I like where it sits. 50's low not 90's low. Once the bumpers & interior go back in/on, it'll probably drop another 1/2" or so...Pretty sure it has the exact same suspension as your Buick

Attached Files:

5. ^^^What he said

6. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

7. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Here's your formula for success

8. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

59 Cadillacs have a driveshaft with a carrier bearing (center support bearing). 60 Buick still has a torque tube, right? It wasn't till 61 that they were open drive? I remember a 60 Buick that kept having transmission leaks from the rear because it was lowered a lot and stressed the seal at that union. My memory is pretty fuzzy on it, it could have been an air-ride specific issue.
    Doesn't sound like you're lowering it much and just in the rear, maybe just keep an eye on it.
    Sorry I don't have very clear info here. I just thought I'd mention it and maybe someone else will jump in that's more familiar with this than me.

9. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Just noticed that the original post was from a couple months ago. Did you cut the coils? How did it turn out? Great looking car by the way!

10. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

Thanks JohnJoyo planning on cutting them next week and then let you know.. I'm too conservative to cut more than one coil..

11. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Cool more door, I'm cutting coils in my more door '61 olds next week, yep starting at a 1 ring first as well. Are you after a level ride or a tail dragger?

12. I've had cars with the same stance as yours and just lowered the back a hair lower than the front and left the front alone. Put some kind of weight in the trunk to see if you like that

[​IMG]

13. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Do you have any pics of it without the skirts? I'm curious on how it looks without them....

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool Buick.. I like your plan.. I used 60 Buick hub caps on one of my model A's...

15. Yaril

Yaril

i heated mine, more the rear than the front. then put new shocks on all 4 to be the right size. it rides just like factory believe it or not. ive put 100s of mile on it so far and love the ride quality...

Attached Files:

60buickmatt likes this.
  16. slappy1eye

slappy1eye

17. justinsr

justinsr
    from Salem MI

I put Jamco 3" drop coils in my '57 and I am very happy with the results!