Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wide Five Caps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by doliak, Feb 23, 2014.

1. doliak

doliak

Does anyone have pics and descriptions of what years and models are which? Ive got a bunch and would like to know what years are what. I know one set is 36 and ive got another set that look the same as the 36's but the v8 is not raised.

2. 50Fraud

50Fraud

This is a '36 cap, definitely. The V8 logo and the ring around it are debossed into the stainless and paint filled:

[​IMG]

The '37 cap was essentially the reverse of this. The V8 emblem and the ring were raised from the surface of the stainless and polished, and the entire circular background behind the V8 was painted. I don't have a picture of a '37 cap, but if you look at this thread about V8 logos, there are some photos in post #37:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381237&page=2

The '38 and '39 Standard caps are confusing to me. I've seen two or three designs which were certainly used in these years, but I'm not sure which is which. I BELIEVE that this is a '39 Standard, but can't swear to it:

[​IMG]

The '39 DeLuxe cap is completely different looking, with a much larger stainless center -- almost the full diameter of the cap.

Hope this helps some.

3. Post pics of what you have and I can ID them. V8 has circle around it for '36 and'37. V8 and circle recessed on '36 and raised on '37. On '38 and '39 Standard and pickup caps, there is no circle around the V8. The V8 logo is long and narrow, reaches almost all the way across the stainless on '38, V8 logo is shorter and wider on '39. '38 Deluxe cap, the stainless part is bigger than any of the others and shaped sort of like a WWI army helmet. '39 Deluxe has the V8 in art deco style and a bunch of concentric circles around the V8.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  4. The second pic is a '38 Standard and commercial cap. '39 Standard and commercial is similar but the V8 logo is shorter. The V8 is black on '38 and blue on '39.

5. Also on '37 caps, the stamping is same for all models but the area inside the circle around the V8 is painted on Deluxe and plain stainless unpainted on standard and commercial.

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Aha! Thanks, 38FPU, you've clarified some old mysteries for me.

In the meantime, Google Images is our friend:

Here's a '37 cap:
    [​IMG]

These would be '38 Deluxes, if the one in my first post is a '38 Standard. These are almost impossible to find in decent condition, because the design traps water and causes the plain steel cap to rust badly:
    [​IMG]

These, then, must be the '39 Standards:
    [​IMG]

And finally, the '39 DeLuxe:
    [​IMG]

7. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been looking for this stuff, this is wicked info, thanks. :D

8. Like the '55 Ford in the avatar photo. I'm working on a '55 that my parents bought new. On '55, the 3rd character in the serial number denotes the assembly plant. My father worked at the Atlanta plant. If the 3rd character is an A, my father leaded the seams on it.

9. doliak

doliak

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393213063.438313.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. doliak

doliak

11. attachment wouldn't open but the caps in the photo left to right are '37 Deluxe, '38 Deluxe, and '38 Standard and commercial.

12. I have all those as wall art but wasn't sure about the 38 Deluxe Vs the Std and 39 Std, cheers for the info :) JW

13. Dad's 1932

Dad's 1932
    from Santa Rosa

As posted but here are caps in a row that I have for reference .

38std , 38 dlx , 39 std , 39dlx

[​IMG]

14. verde742

verde742

not a 1955 at all. The body is actually a '56 Customline two door hardtop, with a '55 front sheetmetal. Looks soooo cool.

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Close, but not quite. It's a '56 Fairlane with '55 grille and '55 Customline side trim. Thanks for the compliment.

[​IMG]

16. doliak

doliak

Thanks for the info much appreciated. When it gets above 0 degrees I'll get out and take pics of the rest that I don't have complete sets for and you can educate me some more. Love the fair lane too I have several pics on my comp of it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!