Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mild custom ideas for a 48 Chev Fleetline

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 206tee, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Hi guys,

I have a '48 Fleetline that I need some ideas on how to make it a mild custom. So let's start with what I currently have.

Bone stock '48, 2" lowering blocks in the rear, 216 CI motor, 3 on the tree. Interior is all original with some minor wear. Glass has some minor lamination issues on the 2 side rear windows that is only noticeable when the windows are rolled down. Grill was re-chromed a couple of years back, the headlight rims (doors) have been re-chromed and I have added stainless 'eyebrows' to the headlight doors. The eyebrows are not the type that have an extended bill like you see on a baseball cap, but are more like Cadillac headlight rims, very subtle. The pics below do not show the headlight rims chromed, or the eyebrows, but they are on the car now.

Here is what I am thinking:

Add the fender skirts to the car (They are the same as the body color)

Change the rims/tires from 16" to 15" to bring it a little lower to the ground (Not sure what size tire I would need on the 15" rim, any ideas?) I am not sure if I want the artillery wheel with stock hubcaps or something like this:

15" '57 Cadillac Sombrero wheels with a bullet center

15" Flipper caps

15" Full Smoothie caps

I am also going to split the exhaust and have pencil tips out the back

I'm not sure if I should add the bumper extensions or remove the bumper over riders completely off the bumpers to give the bumpers a total smooth look. Thoughts on this?

I plan on replacing the interior, but that will be at a later date. I just want to get the outside of the car 'right' for now.

Any other suggestions? I know there are some HAMB custom guys on here with great ideas and I am open to any suggestions. Remember, this is a mild custom, so no chop tops or major body work ideas.

Thanks, and here are the pics of the car

IMG_5351.jpg

IMG_5349.jpg

IMG_2548.jpg

IMG_4915.JPG

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Man, that's a nice Fleetline. Skirts, Flippers, and Spots will do the trick.

3. I'd throw the skirts on, and drive the hell out of it…..thats a nice aerocoupe!

4. Any ideas on what size tire I should use for a 15" rim that won't look too small for the wheel opening?

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

6.70-15 is a excellent size tire for your Fleetline

6. Thanks jcmarz!

7. U-235

U-235

Beautiful car....little lower in back and front (not slammed) skirts with the 3 bars, oh and please loose the sunvisor. NO custom had a sunvisor....that was for old men and cars with 13 inch wheels.

8. Duly noted, U-235. I have been toying with that idea too. Thanks!

9. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Skirts definitely and lowering to drivability yet, and they don't need much else. Just don't over accessorize with dummy spots, eyelids, raccoon tail, more accessory chrome, etc. On these cars I like the windshield visors it covers the heavier looking brow over the windshield. All your cap choices would look good and easy to changes as desired.

10. Thanks joeycarpunk. The important thing for me is to get the car down about another inch or so. I think putting on 15" wheels with the right tire will accomplish this. Tough choices on the hubcap selections though.....

11. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Well, I suck at customs, but I thought I'd try this real quick. Pardon my sloppiness since I'm drinking my coffee while butchering your car. :)

I'm lacking in hubcap photos, too. Sorry.

Might try posting it on the photoshop thread. There are many guys with lots of ideas who would probably love to take a shot at it.

Attached Files:

12. Ooooo, that looks cool! I never thought to post this on the photoshop thread. I may do that. Thanks for taking the time to help me.

13. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

I did one more for you.

Top pic is has caps, skirts, and a piece of trim added to help the flow. Nothing else has been altered…

The bottom pic I removed the triple trim, door handles, and moved the spear emblem on the hood to line up with the belt line trim.

This will give you something to chew on for awhile.

Attached Files:

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Both^^^ look good...

15. navyboy

navyboy

Like the chrome on the fenders way more.

16. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Wow, that's a beautiful car! Liking the chrome on the fenders too!

17. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Attached Files:

• 9iti.jpg
      9iti.jpg
      File size:
      186.5 KB
      Views:
  18. navyboy

navyboy

Like above, slam it, drive it.

19. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Attached Files:

20. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

Yes def flippers ,skirts and spots. A nice drop too

21. Hey guys,

Moving this back up. Any opinions on whether I should remove the bumper guards? How about my wheel/hubcap selection? Any other ideas or thoughts?

TIA

22. droplord49,

That car looks sweet!

23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I think your Fleet would have a cleaner look (more of the look you are after) but do not toss them in trash. Those bumper wings sell for hundreds. The guys out here in SoCal fork out a pretty penny for those wings.

24. Good lord no! I keep all of the stuff I remove and/or replace. I have a fold down rear bumper guard in great shape on it right now that I could get good money for. If I remove the guards, they'll get wrapped up and put away in a safe place. Thanks jcmarz.

25. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

26. Thanks jcmarz. I had that site bookmarked a looooonnnngggg time ago :D
    The VCCA site is pretty good for the technical stuff for 46 - 48 Chevs too.

27. Flop

Flop

leave the 16 inchers on it and find the accessory hub caps !!

28. Flop

Flop

29. fryguy

fryguy

I'd drop the rear end, run the skirts and put some nice Cadillac hubcaps if you are running 15 inch wheels.

Fryguy

30. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER