Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J. Yates

J. Yates
    from Bowie, MD

4,892..4,893..4,89....Oh crap..1

2. slychamp

slychamp
    from Qc ca

<a href="http://s57.photobucket.com/user/Sylvain_Champagne/media/stepvan%20vintage/WinterMotorcycle4_zpsc4de0fac.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  3. 296ardun

296ardun

[​IMG]

Caption: Teenagers arrested for hot rod racing on Artesia St. in South Compton, Calif., 1954 Los Angeles Daily News

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Automobiles on Cahuenga Pass highway in Los Angeles, Calif., 1936

[​IMG]

Mechanic working on double-decker Los Angeles transit bus Los Angeles, Calif., circa 1941

[​IMG]

Copy of 1898 photograph of John Leck standing next to his homemade horseless carriage in Calif.
    First newspaper article mentioning John Leck's horseless carriage published on September 23, 1898. This photograph was published on March 2, 1919. Part of 1919 newspaper article attached to negative it states "Probably Californ..[text cut off] Oldest. This home-made contraption used to scare people to death in S.. [text cut off] was built by a man named John Leck, who still lives in Sa..[text cut off] at the scandalous speed of five miles an hour.

This and these other photos from the UCLA Library collection

[​IMG]

Auto Show in Pan-Pacific Auditorium, Los Angeles, Calif., 1939
    [​IMG]

Assembly line workers putting first chassis online at Ford plant in Long Beach, Calif., 1930 (I never knew that there was a Ford plant in Long Beach)

[​IMG]

Race car driver Leon Duray seated in number 12 car in Culver City, Calif., 1927

[​IMG]

Race car driver Pete de Paolo with crew member in Culver City, Calif., 1927

[​IMG]

Race car drivers Roger Penske and Richie Ginther at 1964 Los Angeles Times Grand Prix trials. I went to the LA Time Grand Prix in 1961, first road race I ever saw. Bill Krause in a Birdcage Maserati won, but #2 was the legendary Max Balchowski in his homemade Buick powered special. He would wave to the crowd as he drove down the straightaway and, after the race, while the other drivers loaded their cars on trailers, Max actually drove Old Yeller to the victory ceremonies at the Mission Inn....

[​IMG]

Racer car driver Rex Mays in a midget car at Ascot Park Speedway, circa 1935. I didn't know that Felix Chevrolet had been in Los Angeles that long....

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

[​IMG]

Check out that one car that's on the wrong side of the road

5. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I remember a Ford plant on Terminal Island in the 50's but am not sure what they built there then. Is that a Model A frame they're getting ready to turn over?

6. bajones238

bajones238
    from SC

The old Ford plant in Atlanta, Georgia.

[​IMG]

According to Wikipedia:

"The Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant at 699 Ponce de Leon Avenue in the Poncey-Highland neighborhood of Atlanta, Georgia was the headquarters of the Ford Motor Company's southeastern US operations from 1915 to 1942. As a result of good sales in Atlanta, and a desire to decentralize production, Ford established a combined assembly, sales, service and administration facility on Ponce de Leon Avenue, selling a peak of 22,000 vehicles per year.

"The assembly plant produced Model Ts, Model As and V-8s until 1942, when the plant was sold to the War Department and a new plant was opened in the Atlanta suburb of Hapeville.

"The 150,000 square feet (14,000 m2) building was designed by Ford's in-house architect, John Graham. An office block in the front was backed by a multi-story loft-style assembly plant.

"The War Department used the building as a storage depot and as administrative offices. Sold for development in 1979, the building is presently known as Ford Factory Square and is occupied by apartments and retail shops".

7. 4door

4door
    from ontario

Attached Files:

8. gas & guns

gas & guns

9. RandNoel

RandNoel
    from Las Vegas

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Columbia Pictures Starlet, Lucy Marlowe on the corner of Sunset & Tamarind, 1954

10. Samj

Samj

Great shots of the red rocket, 4door...harks back to my misspent youth...thanks for posting...

11. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

Spent many a Saturday night at the Danbury Racearena, watching the stock cars run. The other picture is of my 1951 Christmas presents. That's the year I got my ZW transformer which still runs my O gauge trains!

Attached Files:

12. Looks like yer Pop got a new tire! Cool!

13. bajones238

bajones238
    from SC

Here is an aerial view.

[​IMG]

We used to ride up Route 7 to Danbury from Westport on Saturday nights. I remember the main concession food was french fries.

[​IMG]

Chick Stockwell.

[​IMG]

Don LaJoie, ran a great junkyard in Norwalk.

14. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bloody hell! How many presents did you get??!!:eek:

Doc.

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Loved to hear that tale about Max and his "multi-purposed" racing car. Gary

17. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

A Cadillac grille in a Buick? Interesting.

18. The_Stig

The_Stig

19. walpolla

walpolla

Bardot? I have seen that picture before somewhere. On this thread I think.

regards,Rod:D

20. cpdgreg

cpdgreg
    BANNED

It also messes up those of us who bookmark the last page so we know where to pick up again when we come back. Looks like we're up to near 30 pages now.
    But really, what's the point of deleting a measly 30 pages? Does it really have an impact on the amount of space saved, etc? Has there been some formal explanation yet by the monitors that I may have missed? If they're deleting the off-topic or inappropriate posts, 30 pages out of nearly 5000 is a whopping .6% of all the posts. That is barely more than one half of one percent. I'd say that's pretty darn good and the contributors here are 99.4% playing by the rules. That's still an A+ grade in my book.

21. cpdgreg

cpdgreg
    BANNED

Any idea what city this is from? Great photo.

22. I think someplace in Florida but not sure.

23. bookmarked at 4488: will not advance past 4466. Anyone have any ideas if the gremlins have actually hi-jacked our favourite thread? In the immortal words of Samuel L. Jackson: "Don't make me go all medieval on your ass"!!
    Hopefully this will get sorted out ASAP.

24. Mart

Mart

Mods are deleting non car posts. Cheesecake stuff is going. I had one deleted just the other day, there must be dozens or even hundreds more. It's nothing more sinister than a bit of housekeeping.

Mart.

25. Karfever

Karfever

So what do we do now to bookmark and get the latest posting? I have been lurching here everynight for the last few years....addicted to say the least!:D

26. Tango88

Tango88

Since when is it all supposed to be strictly "car stuff"? There's been a whole lot more than cars since I tuned in a year or so ago including some really great Vintage shots from days gone by! stuff.

Maybe I'm way off base but I was just going by the title.

27. 296ardun

296ardun

Lots of us had posts deleted, rules are changing, got it...apparently as long as the pictures have old cars in them, they are now ok....

28. noboD

noboD

click on the little red square with a triangle in it. It will take you to the last post you looked at.

29. 296ardun

296ardun

[​IMG]

Service, Don Lee Cadillac, 655 East Green St., Pasadena, CA, 1932
    [​IMG]

Used Car lot, 590 East Colorado, Pasadena, CA 1924

[​IMG]

Orrin Fox used cars, 2345 East Colorado, Pasadena, 1933. If I remember correctly, Orrin Fox was still in business in Pasadena into the 1970s at least, selling Pontiacs (?)

[​IMG]

Caption: Mr Wilson with a Hudson auto at Mission Motor Service, Pasadena, 1925

[​IMG]

Frank J. Miller Lincoln Motor Cars, 362 West Colorado, Pasadena, CA 1927
    [​IMG]

Colorado Street Bridge, over the Arroyo Seco, 1926. No cars yet--it later became known as "suicide bridge" because of the large number of jumpers (one survived because he landed in a tree)

[​IMG]

Earley Bassett Chrysler/Plymouth, 362 West Colorado, Pasadena, 1929
    [​IMG]

Three Essex automobiles in front of the Warner's Egyptian Theater, Pasadena, CA, 1929. I have heard of the Graumman's Chinese Theater, (later the Mann Chinese theater??), but never Warner's Egyptian Theater. And why these guys wanted to show off their Essex's in front of the theater? No clue.

All these picture came from the PasadenaDigitalHistory, Huntington Library, at

http://collection.pasadenadigitalhistory.com/cdm/landingpage/collection/p15123coll2

30. OKG853

OKG853
    from Indiana

Maybe the original intent was "vintage shots" (about vehicles) "from days gone by." Seems anything on wheels would be appropriate or at least have a vehicle in the picture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.