Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 10 greatest Indy roadsters in history

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, Feb 18, 2014.

1. frank spittle

frank spittle

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

While the Kurtis built cars are usually said to be the first roadsters (offset driver/driveline) the fact is that the Talbot-Lago entered in the 1941 500 was, as near as I can tell, the first of that configuration. Post war, Zora Duntov bought the car and entered it a couple more times though it never qualified.

Attached Files:

3. A Boner

A Boner

"Belond Exhaust Special" does it for me!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

The last time I was at the Speedway Museum, Foyt's '64 winner was out in the parking lot, with a small tarp over the cockpit. I assume for a photo shoot. There was a light rain falling, and no one was around. It took everything I had to keep from pulling the tarp off and jumping in it. :D

5. noboD

noboD

Thank you Bill.

6. von Dyck

von Dyck

Just curious: what is the function of the pipe (tubing) protruding forward through the radiator air inlet?

7. silent rick

silent rick

guides the starter to the crank.

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

for the remote starter

Attached Files:

9. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Great post Bill. Tough to pick only 10 cars. If I was to pick on looks alone, Jack Turner and the Bardahl Special would be at the top of my list.

[​IMG]

10. As the other guys said, the tube serves as a guide to install and align the remote electric starter.

All I would add is that since the tube lines up exactly with the crankshaft, it serves as a handy indicator of the engine offset on that particular car. For example, three of the very first Kurtis-Kraft KK500 chassis have zero engine offset, so the starter tube is in the center of the grille. Easy way to ID these cars.

11. Thanks again for the encouraging words. All I try to do is come up with material that car guys like us will enjoy. No more to it than that.

12. I wouldn't call the car a roadster. The layout was designed for road racing and has symmetrical L/R weight distribution.

13. wicarnut

wicarnut

I agree, that time frame produced the most Beautiful racers and some the biggest Hero's for us car guys. The history of racing is of great interest to me and I Thank You for your efforts for posts. Again, IMO the History/Pics is one of the best parts of the HAMB. John

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic machines. Thanks Bill.

15. von Dyck

von Dyck

Thank you for explaining the starter!

16. Fenders

Fenders

I guess the engine is offset but aren't they lay-down engines?

17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Some, like the Salih laydown, are. Most were upright. As much as I like Indy roadsters, I like them even better in their next life, Supermodifieds. Cars like "Animal" Andy Brown's, and the "Flinstone Flyer" cars of Todd Gibson. Just think stock '32 Ford vs OHV highboy.

18. Jim Hurtubise's beer cooler....

19. HAMB rocks!

20. Offy 220

Offy 220

Definitely agree with the above post! The Roadster Era is my favorite period of Auto Racing bar none! Love the lines and looks of the Roadster along with the one of a kind sound and roar of an Offy! Thanks Bill and Mac!

21. Some did and some didn't. Might be time for an Indy Roadster Spotter's guide to sort all that out.

22. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

subscribed

23. Chuck R

Chuck R

Those 10 are awesome, Its always hard to pick a favorite but this one really stands out for me.
    chuck
    [​IMG]

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Rootie, Is that Talbot the only INDY car to run with a door? I sat in an INDY roadster many years ago, amazing how close you are to the rear tire. Bob

25. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

One of my favorites

Attached Files:

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

It's the only I've seen. Leave it to the French, huh. :D

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

They all didn't have the motors mounted square to the chassis either.

Attached Files:

28. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

The Lancia/Ferrari Formula car of the mid 50s V8 also was mounted at an angle. Must of been something they tried in the 50s.

Ago

29. The Wolcott 8 ball is worth a story in itself. Also worth noting the driver is offset left and driveshaft is offset right. It's almost like Lujie was trying to baffle.