Register now to get rid of these ads!

455 Buick. Where to put the electric fan probe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51ChevPU, Feb 21, 2014.

1. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

I have a 455 buick engine in my 41 buick coupe and I need to run electric fans to keep it cool. The temperature guage is already plugged into the housing on the passenger side of the intake manifold furthest to the front. Now I need another place to put the temp probe for the electric fan relay. Any other spots on the heads or the intake that I can use for that purpose.
    Your assistance will be appreciated. Thanks

2. slammed

slammed

3. phat rat

phat rat

What's the probe like? The one I have in my cpe is threaded and I have an extra bung in the bottom of the radiator for it. If it's adjustable for on and off placement can vary a lot as it's all in the adjustment

4. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

The probe is brass and is threaded. Its very similar to the probe used for my temp guage.

5. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

the probe needs to be screwed into a housing. its not like a large needle that gets placed in the fins of the radiator. the video above does not have the same type of probe. This thing looks like a typical temp sending unit.

6. badsco

badsco

For electric fans, I believe the best location for the sensor is in the rad - that is where the coolant you are cooling is.
    If that is not possible, depending on the engine year, there would have been a number of temp controlled vacuum sensors that are likely no longer used on the intake that you should be able to re-purpose with a reducer - I used them for the temp gauge sensor on my Buick 350 powered '60. Electric fan sensor was put in the rad (aftermarket)

7. phat rat

phat rat

Check into having an extra bung put in your radiator