Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

anyone have a 63 wagon running 15x7 with 4 in backspacing? trying to figure out a tire size. I will be lowering it 3 inches front and rear. trying to decide maybe a 195/60/15 would work

2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

What kind of bumper is that?

3. 67 Mustang front suspension is a one year only deal - not the same as 66 and not the same as 68-73. I know the lower strut rods won't work in a Falcon, and neither will the center drag link. Pretty sure the idler arm and pitman arm are different as well. You can use 63 1/2 -65 Falcon V8 parts or 65-66 Mustang (but you will still need the Falcon center drag link)

It depends on what motor the C4 was originally behind.... Was it a V8 or another 6?

4. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

It's a corvair front bumper, I'm using a 69 camaro front valance / bumper caps to fill underneath since it is half the size of the original bumper

5. DAGONITWIT

DAGONITWIT
    from NO VA

tits!

6. About a dozen pages back I posted a set of 14X6 Magnum 500 wheels I'd scored from a fellow Virginia HAMB'r, the dude who posted above ^.

It turned out that the rear wheel and tire combo had about 5/16-3/8" fender clearance....I sucked it up and sent a pair to Jimmy @ Rally America (WheelKid) and had the backspacing changed from 3.5" to 4.0".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a UPS weather delay, I got the wheels back, did some minimal touch up on the paint and mounted them up:

[​IMG]

It's a balmy 51F here in the east.....

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  7. dirttoo

dirttoo

Looks good, I like 'em.

8. I want to see them with some trim rings added to them.

9. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I can't give you specific backspace numbers because I had a custom width rear made for it, but if you can figure it out right when moving the springs inboard, you can get a fairly wide tire in there. I got a 10 inch tire in there without any tub work just some minor "massaging" to both sides of the wheel house. The biggest problem is you can't fit a very tall tire in them without stretching the wheel opening.

10. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

That Corvair bumper looks fantastic! Got more photos from different angles?

11. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

Hopefully will have a front shot of it soon when everything is welded in place with the front valance

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  12. No trim rings.

I just scored some center caps that I've bead-basted and will be painting black....

13. shoebox302

shoebox302
    from Boston

bumper looks killer ! Im trying to figure what Im gonna do to mine. It will be much easier because it is painted to match the car. Satin black. Hopefully by the end of the month this will be a driver.

14. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

15. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

16. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

17. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

just picked this up... sorry still trying to figured out the photobucket resizing

18. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

im pumped if always wanted a wagon and this is my year, 61 so i had to have it. its all there. the trims is complete, i was surprised to see a vinyl cover over the dash i didnt think there were dash covers for these cars. there is a couple of bogus rust repairs, riveted metal patches and mud etc. It came with a 170 straight six with an s10 t5 conversion set up, not installed. I was not in the market for another project but it must be the sense of spring around the corner in new england, lol

19. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

Bastard ! I was going to buy that congrats

20. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Haha thanks I knew you probably had an eye on it. There is room for two of us lol. Btw I ve been following your build, great work/style. I like how the dodge bumper sits!

21. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

Thank you ! I know I beat you on the other $700 wagon haha . But if you don't plan on using that t-5 swap let me know ! I'm excited to see what you do with it . And thank you it's coming along slow but it will get there in time

22. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Yeah you got me on the last one. I'm planning on using the t5 on the wagon it's all there to bolt in. Just need to cut the hole in the tunnel. The plan is to get it running and driving then I need to strip down the paint it was done with a brush last lol. Old guys liked to grease the undercarriage and paint old cars white with a brush. Hahaha. But either way all the trim is there and is it a good platform and it's a 61!!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Btw how is your 7 bill wagon doing ? Is it running? That look like it was in good shape if I remember

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Okay! 'Nuff wagons already! I'm still in mourning for mine!!! Really though, congrats guys. I thought I would hate our when Judy dragged it home, and I kinda built it under protest 'cause it had to many doors, but it turned out to be one of my favorite cars ever.... I miss it every day.

25. Anyone modifiy their control arms to handle corners better. As in welding up some plate to the lower side?

26. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

I think falconizer62 cut his arms

27. I saw some from global west and wondered if anyone has done this on their own 1393177367270.jpg

28. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

It is doing well, needs new wheel cylinders. But she runs! Drove it on the trailer the day I bought it. Has all the wood trim I'm redoing right now. I just fixed the rear window and electric motor. The interior is mint! Just needs a headliner. I can't wait to drive it this summer. Louvers I know! You need to score another one . I was against 4 doors but now I love it along with the roof rack

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless you are building a track car, I wouldn't. Exposed metal joints need to be cleaned, inspected and replaced on a regular basis, as their unprotected nature makes them susceptible to accelerated wear.

They also make perfect conductors of road vibration. At mile 50, you might regret the choice.

30. I was planning on using a stock unit and adding the plate to the bottom. Would that be ok?