Register now to get rid of these ads!

The definitive 1940 Ford build tech thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Russco, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Ive had a few threads already looking for tips, tricks and sources for parts for the 40 I'm building. I've got some great advice already from several of you. Especially Olscrounger, so I thought a thread lumped together with a lot of this info would certainly come in handy for the next guy building his first 40 too. So rather than me starting a new thread every time I'm looking for some ideas from the guys that have already been there. I'll just use this thread from now on.
    Today I'm trying to source an after market radiator I know of the Griffin and Walker brands what about some of those off brands or cheaper ones? I know some are probably Chinese crap but I see this BTR thats on Ebay mid priced and supposed to be American made? Also I'm going to need a condensor is it better to have one integral with the radiator or just mount one separately?
    Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-1940-1...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e5692a378&vxp=mtr

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

3. brownieandthemerc

brownieandthemerc
    from ontario

Hey, great thanks for all the good info. Just getting back into mine again after some time off (not my choice, coujld not be helped) always looking for advice, bought this cobbled up project in peices, trying to make good of it, any other good threads woujld be greatly appreciated

4. Chuck hole

Chuck hole

I bought a " cheapo radiator off ebay for my 40 coupe. So far so good. I painted it black because I thought it looked too modern. It's been in for less than a year though.i believe it was a Champion 3row aluminum and it was around $200. It fit real well.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Anybody else feel free to add links or info to this thread. I'll be updating my build thread soon Ive been moving along on it pretty fast, but havent decided on the radiator yet.

6. metalman

metalman

I ordered a Champion radiator today for my 40 truck, they claim American made. Last Griffin I bought I wasn't impressed with so I was having a hard time paying twice as much for a Griffin. Ran into an issue though maybe someone here has an answer. The Champion says does not fit trucks, Griffin as well has different part numbers for cars or trucks, Walker uses the same for both. I always thought 39 Deluxe, all 40's and 41 truck radiators were the same, anyone know what the difference could be?

7. Yogi's sells Afco radiators, I've had good luck with them.

8. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

FYI AFCO is now made in China.

American Fabrication Company, Made in China.

9. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just did a search and found a Champion on ebay; however the Champion website showed no application for a 40 Ford. I'd check that out.

10. ...were they always made in China?...I got mine 7 years ago, welded seams, aluminum radiator, so far so good.

..how about U.S. Radiator out of Calif?...had good luck with those also.

11. thebearded1

thebearded1

If thease are 8 seperate pieces looks like could be devider pieces angled louverlike betweenupper and lower hood side moldings

12. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I thought they were the same as well as far as mounting goes. Maybe in the Flathead configuration there is something different about the core or something?

I was looking at these guys, anybody know anything about them?

https://www.bricethomasradiator.com/

13. Chuck hole

Chuck hole

14. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I ended up ordering a radiator from Brice Thomas Radiator (AKA C,G & J inc.)
    I spoke to Chris there, they are building me a custom aluminum radiator with 2 rows of 1.25 tubes. He said it would be equivalent to a 5 row copper/brass radiator. The cost was 375.00+ the ride. It should be shipped by the end of the week. I'll post an update when it arrives.

15. saucerhead

saucerhead

I used a Brice Thomas rad in my last deuce and was very happy. I am putting the same thing in my new deuce.

16. banginona40

banginona40

US Radiator can't be beat! I have one in my '40,beautiful. Pricey, like $800, but really nice.

17. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[I was looking at these guys, anybody know anything about them?

https://www.bricethomasradiator.com/[/QUOTE]

I bought a rad for a '40 Chev from them, I was very pleased with the part and the service. They seem to be a pretty big outfit, doing large industrial heat exchangers and big truck rads as well as automotive stuff. I'm told they are a multi- generation family business, and manufacture their products in Alabama. They were great people to deal with, accommodated my request for something out of their routine, communication was excellent. I especially like the stamped one piece top tank. Price was good, shipping and duty getting it to Canada was a bit heavy but that's not their fault.

18. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Got the radiator from Brice Thomas yesterday man it's really nice. The core is thicker than a normal 4 row radiator. I can't imagine this not being able to cool the 383 even with the an
    A/C condenser in front of it.

Attached Files:

19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looks nice Russco----I have only used walkers so far (9 of them in 40's)
    your info is in the mail--let me know if you need any more

20. I bought an original radiator from an estate sale that looks to be in decent condition. I flushed it with the hose and only a little crud came out. I'm not sure if it'll hold pressure, I might try just a 4 lb cap first. But for as much as coreing a radiator costs, I'll buy one of those champions from ebay and It'll probably be cheaper if this radiator gives up the ghost.

Great idea on grouping all the 40 Tech together!

21. Hey olscrounger, did you have some 40 Tail lights on ebay? I think my uncle bought them. Small world when it comes to 40 Fords.

22. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Don't forget the Ford Barn for information. Lot's of experience there and willing to share it.

23. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes someone bought taillights from me--they are in the mail

24. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I have used Superior Radiator out of Mt Clemons MI good quality good prices and they cool all welded construction and they can make any modifications you want, I have had one for a SBC in a Model A and I have one in my 1940 Ford coupe w SBC
    wwwsuperiorradiator.com

25. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

26. Ruiner

Ruiner

Subscribed! Thanks Mike!