Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hot Rod Hill Climb

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mike51Merc, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

2. Yup! We had fun! Come out for this years Hot Rod Hill Climb!

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

To kool. Was in georgetown this summer to ride the steam train and saw a shirt with the hill clime on it. Nice to see how it all went down.

4. lucky ink

lucky ink

Thanks for sharing so kool....

5. I think I would enjoy participating in the Georgetown hill climb instead of Newport. Having the curves vs. a straight shot!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. dtracy

dtracy

We used to have a really good hill climb here in Clifton, Arizona back in the 60's and 70's over the Labor Day weekends. There is a road called Wards Canyon Road that winds up a steep hill towards the Clifton Cemetery and is used daily for travel to and from a subdivision six miles from town. About half of the length of the road (the uphill part) was used for the hill climb, very steep, sharp curves, no guard rail, good pavement, fantastic. A secondary road was built as an auxiliary route from the main highway (US 666) to the subdivision and was used when the Wards Canyon road was closed for the hill climb. It was a pretty big deal for the town and made a great weekend for the family. I used to provide tow trucks for the event and serve as an EMT as well. It was originally sponsored by the Four Cylinder Club of America and the Town of Clifton. We (the town) had to carry the insurance (one million dollars), provide and install the timing light cable, provide some parking/camping space and facilities for all the people that drove in from out of town. After the 1983 flood, most of the town was destroyed; we no longer have motel space for a crowd. People lost interest and no longer wanted to volunteer services. But it was a great weekend outing with many out of town entries, some fine looking cars. There’s been some talk of trying to reestablish the event. I think the fastest car at the time was a 427 Cobra.

Dave.

7. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Thanks for posting that video. Looks like an awesome event!

8. racer32

racer32

When?

9. September 13th, 2014!

10. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend last year, and I won't be missing it this year. Mike puts on a great event, and it's going to be even bigger and better in 2014! See you all there.