Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hog Shed Corvette

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by basicbob, Oct 30, 2013.

1. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

2. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree -- I would never again go numbers-correct crazy to satisfy the NCRS zealots. I did that with my 57 Corvette when I owned it 35 years ago. All of the charm left that car. If I were able to do it again, it would be to a sixties hot rod flavor.

3. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

HEY!! Hot Rods are SPECIAL CARS! The deserve the right to stay COOL!

4. flynstone

flynstone

nice score bill, anyone can have a stock one..................

5. I like it!!!!!.........Congrats...... a cool find .......there is a time and place for restored and a cooler time and place for vintage Vettes.........maybe itill getta a straight axle .............hmmmmmm:D

6. jimdillon

jimdillon

Bill that is good to hear. Also glad to see you cleaned it up. I understand barn finds to a point but don’t understand the whole concept of preserving dirt.

Customs and drag cars are such a large part of the Corvette heritage, yet the vast majority of those cool cars have been destroyed by the stock crowd. It is one thing to take a totally stock car and customize it now, which I am not a fan of but quite another to preserve a cool car as it looked during the era.

Do you plan on repairing the existing paint? Glad to see that others will see what some of the old Vettes looked like back in the 60s and 70s. -Jim

7. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Jim!
    Paint? Hmmmm! That will be a while dwn the road! Still trying to get all the Critter Chit out of it & see what the lil basturds did! Passenger PW switch Shorted out as they were hungry & ate all the wires! Really this is the fun stuff! Motor turns over I just moved it about a 1/2 inch! now pulling valve covers & Fi Cable & marvels oil in cylinders for a while! we will see said the blind man!!! Paint I think its just gonna stay with the Hog chips! Tks! Bill

8. I hope you decide to leave the paint, that is the type of car that will draw 65 year old guys and 10 year old boys and girls over to it at any cruise night. Running and driving and safe is all I would do, bring it to some nostalgia drag events etc....my dad and I have got some unreal, stuck, messed up motors running, on more than one occasion I said, there is no way, why bother - later proved wrong. One was suppose to be an "LT1", as in "Corvette Motor" woohoo like every other SBC we have all tripped across....the motor was indeed built to LT1 specs....it had nests in the exhaust ports, later we found the paperwork from the machine shop and peeked into the cylinders and it was indeed a pretty nice motor, got it running, put a cross ram on it and the car was a solid mid 12 second street car, it was a non Hamb friendly car, but I bet you can guess what it was...

9. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

MUSTANG??? LOL Yes Paint will stay! Tks! Bill

10. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pulled the valve covers off last night to check for critter tracks! Wow looks good! Both sides! Ck out the gas cap! Tks Bill

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Engine inards look REAL NICE! Like it was just put together!
    Now that self locking gas cap! OUTSTANDING!

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That ought to keep the gas thieves at bay!

13. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay! Got her registered & Cleaned up the front chrome & cleaned Dash! Unreal dash like new!

Attached Files:

14. jesse1980

jesse1980

That car is awesome. I've been wanting a cool old survivor vette like that since my old man had one back in the day. His was black but a 59. Great find. I'm jealous. It's great you left it original too.

15. pumpman

pumpman

Great car, glad to see you are going to protect her and that dash did turn out really nice. Great save!!!!!!!!

16. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Mighty FINE work that car just keeps getting COOLER! Hard to believe it's been in a hog barn for all those years!

17. That is one awesome survivor vette.

Hope you just do a clean up and not a restore on it, wash it, touch up the mechanicals and drive it!

18. Rusty

Rusty

19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

very cool survivor vette--have a soft spot for Rochester units-good luck with it

20. slowmotion

slowmotion

Wow, that really cleaned up good. Get'r mechanically sound & drive the heck of it as is, chips, flakes, battle scars & all. :D

21. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Guys Tks For The Replies! Bought a good used Trunk emblem ring & got the trunk emblem on filling the big hole! Made emblem a lil custom like car! Tks! Bill

Attached Files:

22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

23. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Nice work on the emblem and how did ya get those tags so fast!

24. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had the tags on my other custom vette I sold!

Attached Files:

25. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hog Barn Vette got a new set of Pf Flyers! Remember when you got new tennis shoes how fast you could run? We will see soon! I think the new wheels makes the paint pop even more!Tks Bill

Attached Files:

26. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Have you fired it yet? Looked through the thread and didn't that you had? Looks ready!

27. HemiHater

HemiHater
    from New York

that is a sweet ride there. I have found some cool things in my day but never a injected vette. congrats

28. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not Running yet! Still soaking cyls w MM oil & taking off Fi unit & putting on 61 dual quads to get running & then have FI unit rebuilt & play with when I get all the bugs out! This car needs a lot of work! Brakes, Tank Etc it will be a while but well worth the time! Tks Bill

29. basicbob

basicbob

Bill, you have a Corvette Journey, each step you take will bring you closer to the vette!

Your Corvette dash still makes me ask, how did it survive so nice?????

As the pics show the center roof of a "Hog Shed" maybe 9' high but each side is only 3'. Worked extremely well for protection from the sun.

Enjoy seeing each step your taking, Bob

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014