Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Dad's 1950 Ford Shoebox - First Drive

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by daddio211, Feb 4, 2014.

1. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks bud!

Still haven't tried to figure out what the knock is, but I'll get into it one evening this week and try to find it. I sure as hell hope it's on the top end, as I don't want to pull the engine... I'm really struggling with the thought of putting it back in for a fourth time!

I'll check the fuel pump push rod first as advised by Timmy, Y-block, SBC and flathead guru!

2. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Great story, and obviously a great car. I'm a little older than your dad -- graduated HS in LA in '57 -- but I was crazy for shoeboxes back then, and have never not loved them. When I started building my Victoria in '89 it wasn't my dad's dream I was realizing, it was my own. It's been together now more than 20 years and I love it just as much as the first day it ran.

If I had your car I would build to a different recipe, but different strokes... enjoy it forever!

3. Dang, wish I could have the sound on here at work!

4. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks a heap, Tony. Been a fan of your cars for years!

It's worth the wait! Well, I think it is! :D

My '27 T Roadster build: www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

5. Congratulations !......... You two surely sound like a lovely couple... she's so funny !

Good luck with the "fine tuning".....

6. EBW

EBW

Have you figured out the knock yet ?? Curious what you find. Get on it ! It's not like you are busy or anything.... ha

7. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks man, she's the best!

On top of not being busy I pulled a muscle in my back. I'm literally flat in bed, surfing the HAMB. I did start the car the other day to listen again and I'm pretty confident it's something in the top end. Once my back is better I'll tear into it.

8. lookin great man! sucks to hear about your back. i have a friend that blew out his back big time at rotc a while back. he was outta action for months. hopefully youll be better sooner than that and back bustin your back and balls all over again on that shoebox in no time!:D

9. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks Ace, that's the plan. This time it's a severely pulled muscle, but I do have two ruptured discs in addition to that. Believe me, I'll take muscle over discs any time! I've taken muscle relaxers this morning, didn't touch it. Took Lortab at lunch, no better. Tries 1200 mg of ibuprofen a few hours ago and that did the trick. Should have known, what could work better than an anti-inflammatory for a pulled muscle. Should be back on it this weekend. :)

10. EBW

EBW

Sorry to hear about the back Old guy.... Get Mama to go out there and get it fixed !! :cool:

Take your time and Get better !!!

( gives me more time to have mine closer to finishing.... :D )

11. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

hope your back heals up. funny i blew out my neck the other day from sneezing wrong (wtf? gettin old) i cant even look left. hope ya feel better man. love the shoebox brother

12. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks fellas. Going to try to get the garage cleaned up a little as I have tools and parts EVERYWHERE right now. I despise a messy garage but ya know, it happens!

13. daddio211

daddio211

I was going to mention this a few days ago, but haven't had room to move in the garage yet. I wanted to lay out all the goodies for photos. See, our very own RoyalShifter sent me a text message a week or two ago asking if I'd be interested in the unused stainless trim from Miss Victoria's Secret! Trim from VS? Hell yes!

It arrived safe and sound and was a VERY fair price! He even threw in a few extra pieces for me! Whatta guy... thanks a million Mark! I owe you and Kelly dinner next time Victoria and I see you two!

14. EBW

EBW

lucky !!!!

15. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Good job! Sounds great and looks like a ton of fun!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Get yourself a Spoonk mat, it's like a bed of nails. Great for a sore back. I laughed at it... then I tried it.

17. daddio211

daddio211

Livin' right I guess!

Thanks bud! Haven't seen you post for a long time. Have I been looking in the wrong places?

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out!

18. flyin-t

flyin-t

"I'm sick of pushin' flatheads"

Great story and clip.

daddio211 likes this.
  19. ginuine555

ginuine555
    from louisiana

Congratulations on the drive and a great story

daddio211 likes this.
  20. Eric H

Eric H

Great vid! Makes me want to go out for a rip. Done plenty of pushin too. Lol

daddio211 likes this.
  21. Slopok

Slopok

Cool story, neat video. Save your back and use an engine hoist next time.:D

daddio211 likes this.
  22. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks fellas. I really need to update this thread.

Not much progress but still working on it. Slowly.

23. barfers

barfers
    from Florida

great story

daddio211 likes this.
  24. Wow! Why did I never see this thread before? Very cool!

daddio211 likes this.
  25. Bertolasi

Bertolasi

Eric. Sure hope your back is back to normal. Did you ever get a chance to get further on the 'knock'. I remember the issues I had with getting away from leaded fuel. Had to retard the spark an additional 4° to stop the knock when accelerating. I don't see the original post on the knock, but if it is there at idle the old 'rubber hose to the ear' stethoscope should sort out the fuel pump pretty fast. If only at idle, there is a good chance that it is the fuel pump unloading and floating on the push rod. Did you have to do any special 'lube' procedures before starting the engine for the first time? I am about to face that issue with mine and wondering if there is an easy way to make a pressure luber (like the tank that the pro's use to hook up to the sensor port and back lube the system). Best of everything to you and keep up the posts. You have an interesting array of 'good stuff' to take care of. Bob

26. daddio211

daddio211

Bob, the back is much better, thank you!

That knock.... well, I think I figured out that there was no knock at all, it was the Johnson adjustable lifters making all that noise. A little embarrassed I didn't realize that MUCH earlier, but pulling the heads determined the top end was in good shape.

Lately I've been battling ignition issues. I have actually quit working on it for the time being. I'm going to have to convert it to 12 volt and go with a mechanical advance distributor. I've tried to follow the progression my dad had in mind for the car and my buddy @da34guy said it best, "Your dad would have thrown modern ignition on there a long time ago instead of screwing with that damn thing!" He's right.

da34guy likes this.
  27. Ahh, ya finally came to realize what your dad woulda done. Go for it brudder.

daddio211 likes this.
  28. EBW

EBW

Good on you for doing the upgrade.

daddio211 likes this.
  29. Roger53

Roger53

Thats one solid looking ford ! And your dad will be a long for every ride. Roger

daddio211 likes this.
  30. Just did the mechanical advance dist. from Bubba's, It made all the difference.

daddio211 likes this.