Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '26 Roadster / Vintage photo search

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Nov 12, 2008.

1. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

Are you gonna make a thread for the Hupp?

Love this thread

2. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

x2 :D

3. MrModelT

MrModelT

I think I might just have to :)

I was thinking about it just the other day, but I'm not sure where it would fit in here.....with all the new restructure and guidelines. Don't want to get off topic and anger the HAMB gods :)

I want to cover it from Start to finish though...had so much fun doing it for the T.

I have to get my Falcon done first though..... :D

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I'm thinking that a 1916 Hupp Model N touring should fit in here (Traditionally "Styled" Hot Rods, Customs, & Production Cars) fine, just like your T.

5. MrModelT

MrModelT

I guess your right....it would fit here. I know this isn't the the HCCA or AACA...but heck, we all love build threads and vintage cars...so what the heck. :)

It will be a pretty car when it's done and ours should be about as correct as one can get....at least that is what we are shooting for.

I think you will be seeing a thread for the Hupp before too long ;)

6. ebtm3

ebtm3

"I think you will be seeing a thread for the Hupp before too long "

Go for it, Clayton!

Herb

7. MrModelT

MrModelT

I think I will. The first step is getting my Falcon done and bringing the Hupp home. The rest should be pretty straight forward.

8. fryguy

fryguy

One of the coolest Model T roadsters anywhere!

9. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you kindly! I'm sure happy with how it turned out :D

Sent from my SGH-T699 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Kume

Kume

Here are The Morton & Brett brackets Clayton
    sorry couldn't seem to post pictures on message board.
    These look very sexy - could fab something similar to eliminate the original radius rod.
    Kume

Attached Files:

11. MrModelT

MrModelT

Now I know exactly what you are talking about. Yes....excellent design and stronger then the Laural style.

If I was building a set...I think I would beef them up considerably, for safety reasons. I am a sucker for "overbuilding"...especially something important as suspension.

Something like this:

[​IMG]

12. Kume

Kume

That is bloody awesome!
    You better patent that quick smart.
    I had a similar idea but with more of a Paris Metropolitain influence.
    So where is your spring perch mount?

13. MrModelT

MrModelT

I might just have to do that :D

The spring perch mount is not show, but I am working out a few sketches...

14. MrModelT

MrModelT

Alright Kume.....How about this for a solid Perch design?

[​IMG]

15. Kume

Kume

lol!
    Excellent - I was thinking of going lower :D - although I am a bit concerned about the structural integrity of my design?
    Kume

Attached Files:

16. MrModelT

MrModelT

That might just work....but I think you might have some interferrence between the shackles and the wishbone....since they both bolt under the brackets. The stock perches might have issues sitting neatly against the 'bones too....but it is doable and strong!

17. Kume

Kume

Yes I did wonder about that - even with a standard perch inverted?

18. MrModelT

MrModelT

It might, especially if the 'bones aren't split. I you ran split bones you would eliminate any clearence issues.

It be honest, I would have to mock it up.

19. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

Time to start learning 3D Cad ....;)

Like the Ideas for the front Brackets.
    We played with a few Ideas that looked more like A or later Merc Bones. Kept running into interference between the rods and the steering drag link. But Our T is really low up front so that may have been part of the problem. This design looks like it may not have the same issue as it goes above the radius rod instead of below.

Clayton if you keep coming up with more Ideas like this your going to have to build another T to put them all on.

CBB

20. Kume

Kume

Whats this CAD you speak of - According to my dictionary it is a man whose behavior is unprincipled or dishonorable. Is the pen not mightier than the CAD?.

21. MrModelT

MrModelT

I have so many projects already, don't tempt me :D

22. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

*UPDATE*

First real update of...well, the year
    :D

As most of you know, the T has been suffering from Carburetor icing issues in since the return from Bonneville. It mostly occurs in colder weather, more specifically....anything less then 68 degrees. Rough running, harder shifting, hesitation are the result of the jet icing issue that make it almost un-drivable 3/4 of the year. If you remember I had these issues on my Beach trip with the car in September, 2012 and again last year on the Flathead Reliability Run.

About three months ago, I was approached by a local guy that has a foundry here local and is casting his own speed goodies (Flathead Cad and Nailhead blowers setups, carb scoops, valve covers, etc). He had heard of my issues and offered me two prototypes for a carburetor heater he had designed for the Stromberg 97 style carb mounts, but not tested. He asked if I would like to Prototype test them to see if the design would work.

I was happy to oblige :)

Last week, we pulled the 81s and got the new heaters installed...

[​IMG]

..Bought all the fittings...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last night, we got the system plumbed, filled it up and test fired it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even on thermo-syphan, the front heater worked and got plenty hot, although we rear carb did not. We realized that the way it is plumbed now acts as a bypass and does not flow to the rear carb at all. The correct way would be in series.

We have some more work to do and some re-plumbing this weekend...but we should have it ready to test on the road by Sunday.

More to come.

23. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

Very cool Clayton!

Ya know, heaters under the carbs and all, pretty quick someone will invent a way to put a radio in one of those cars, or dare to think it, maybe a record player!

:D

24. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, That is quite the setup for a carb heaters. Wonder why the aft carb doesn't get any heat ?

Hey, Clayton - let Chris know that I am retired from the USAF as of 31 Mar 2014 ! ! !

Now, just got to stay busy !

Dave :)

25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Clayton, you could always make a heated air box with a muff on the exhaust like they use for carb heat on aircraft. Some of the vintage cars used a similar set up. Generally heating the intake air is less likely to cause vapor locking than heating the manifold.

26. MrModelT

MrModelT

This is true, but I don't think they will get that hot to vapor lock....but testing will tell for sure.

I do have plans for a Hot Air intake setup, but I would loose my scoops and I would have interference issues with my hood.

If this doesn't pan out, I have a plan B. :)

27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Thermo syphon = no waterpump? So the engine heated water goes from the head to the top of the radiator then back to the engine through the bottom hose? No thermostat?
    I think it will work in series and will be a lot less pluming but that water will miss it's turn in the radiator. Probably not a big deal. You could plum that same water into a heater.

28. krusher74

krusher74
    from uk

Pretty new to the hamb, and just back read all 75 pages of this thread!!

I'm just a lookyluu/tirekicker from the vw side of the tracks and as someone said vw's with a long runner stock manifold have icing issue (however they dont with the stock correct exhaust to manifold pre heat, and warm air intake)

This problem on vw's goes away when you go to a short alu inlet, because the head heat wicks into the manifold and warms it up.

your icing could be due to over rich mixture on the idle circuit, or maybe strombergs have poor atomization.

They do look cool, but both the inlet and the new carb base water heaters have cooling fins on them!!

Anywho, its a very nice looking car.

did I read somewhere you have a 300deg cam in it?

29. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Wish you all the best aqs you update your rod. Keep us informed as you make the progress I know that you will make.

Dave

30. MrModelT

MrModelT

Minor Update:

I finally got a chance to test my new carburetor heaters.....and I must say I am really impressed. It has better throttle response, no hesitation, more power...

...and most importantly, NO MORE ICE PROBLEMS.

I will have a full report with pictures soon....just haven't had time recently as we are in the middle of a move.

Stay Tuned!