Register now to get rid of these ads!

Zinc additive or not, yes or no

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willbe, Feb 16, 2014.

1. no55mad

no55mad

Read here www.ZDDPlus.com They are an Alliance Vendor here, last one on the vendor list - support the HAMB Alliance Vendors!

2. Oldb

Oldb

Zinc is good, worth the effort.

B

3. stimpy

stimpy

instead of the big box auto store ,call a oil distributor that deals with trucking , they often can get it for you in case quantities , thats how I used to buy it when I had my semi , I buy a drum of oil and get a case of the brad penn , as he would pick it up from his packing plant that had all the grease gun tubes and stuff ( they keep pallets of it and often break them for smaller sales . most stores have to buy it in pallet or half pallet lots and if it don't sell they sit on a big chunk of money and the big box stores only get there stuff in trailer loads at the D.C. then shipped to them .also buy going thru a distributor I got it for $65 a case delivered , instead of $75 plus shipping , and if you have a business license a distributor will 9/10 sell to you . mine used to sell to the public , and thats how he made his money . also my distributor had a blending plant that would make Pre SJ oils in 5 gallon buckets for $100 in any weight you wanted .

also you buy parts on the net , they sell oil on the net . you can buy brad penn direct by the case for $75

and by brad penns website there is 5 places near San fran that has it , so there is a local distributor handling it for them .

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That smacks of effort. I'm lazy, and the auto parts store is in walking distance from my house.

5. stimpy

stimpy

well hell, make your life easier and less walking ,order it online . let the big brown truck deliver it ! .. LOL I was spoiled as my oil guy delivered it to my garage , no lifting ( tried to talk him into changing the oil too , but no dice :mad: ) . but that little piece of paper ( bill) always hurt when lifting it .

6. I'm heading for Advance Auto Parts store here, they have Valvoline VR1 in stock for less than 6 bucks a bottle. Thanks y'all.

7. the distributor i deal with carries oil, grease, racing gas, and delivers directly to me.on there weekly run and i'm 2hrs away

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Brad Penn and VR1, do they not carry the current ratings for use in modern cars with cats that limit the amount of zinc additive?

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

No they don't carry reduced limits of ZDDP because VR-1 is racing oil (not supposedly for street use). Like I posted VR-1 has 1400 PPM of Zinc and 1300 PPM of Phosphorous. Not sure about Brad Penn's Zinc and Phosphorous levels but I'm sure it OK for use in flat tappet engines.
    Why break your stones ordering oils other then VR-1 as its readily available at Auto Zone and Advance Auto Parts?
    Also keep checking Valvolines web site for free oil offers. Last year they had a $50 rebate on the purchase of a case.

10. bob giles

bob giles

Correct me if I'm wrong. Multi grade Brad Penn doesn't have zinc, only the straight grade green does.

11. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The VR-1 regular is ok for street use. Valvoline does sell NSL (not street legal) oil, but it's hard to get the non-syn version of 20w-50. I've used it. It's just easier to get the reg VR-1 racing, but I need to beat the Lime Rock racers to the store (I live 30 min from that track)
    - they buy it all up, especially before a race weekend

My new motor is being broke in with Brad Penn "green" oil.

12. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

brad penn 10-30 for me also in my y-block 292.

13. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Yes use the oils with zinc. Some people get by without it but its just the variation in valve train components (ie spring rate, cam hardness etc). Its cheap insurance on a flat tappet cam ,use the zinc oils brother.

14. 53fopar

53fopar

I don't think the synthetic VR-1 has the zinc. It's rated SL for newer motors with cat's. I stick with the dino VR-1.

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

Valvoline Synthetic VR1 has the Zinc and Phosphorous you need for a flat tappet engine.

16. 53fopar

53fopar

Yeah, I stand corrected. I just looked it up and the synthetic does show added zinc. Might try it next time.

17. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

OK , I'll correct you ... multi grade Brad Penn DOES have Zinc in it .

18. A Boner

A Boner

On the bottle it says....Questions or Comments?
    Please visit www.stp.com or
    Call 1-888-GO4-STP1 in the U.S.A.

Let us know what they say.

19. wicarnut

wicarnut

Amsoil Z-Rod, comes 10w30 or 20w50. $8/Qt. Been using this with no problems in a 355 SBC with HD valve springs, flat tappet cam. John

20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I don't understand. If an oil is rated SL that means it's approved for cat equipped cars, right? If so, how can it have the zinc that was supposed to be removed or reduced because it harmed cats? Just trying to understand.

21. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

22. stimpy

stimpy

you have to use the high performance line of oils for higher zdpp concentrations and they come in multiweights ( go to the website )

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  23. stimpy

stimpy

the Sj is the higher rating oil , Sl is the lower rating oil , it has Zdpp but in lower quantities and will protect for a stock solid cam and spring car , but not a high lift cam/spring pressure cam .

for some weird reason on the Pontiacs we have seen failures on the 067 grinds and higher performance factory cams but not the 066 "N" and stock"U" and "S" or the 301 cams .

24. What have I started?!

25. XWYNNSGUY

XWYNNSGUY

Brad Penn will get the job done for all of us, go to American refining group for info on the product. Brad Penn stands for Bradford, Pa. they are on Kendall Dr. It is the old Kendall oil refinery. FYI to all Mobil 1 isn't even a full synthetic anymore ?? These oil company are pretty sneaky. Good luck, and I love beating this horse, always interesting what everyone thinks.

26. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Just curious but i was thinking about this subject the other day and have a question maybe you guys can answer. If they dropped zinc out of oil for emissions then it would've been around 74 correct? But there have been plenty of flat tapper engines since the. Hell even today they still make them. So does it really matter? I cant see car company's risking cams wiping out and all that warranty work. Is this more of a thing for higher performance engines? That to me makes more sense. Personally i went about two years beating my for with a stock y block using just regular 1030 and never had a problem. Just wondering.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

By the way im not tryig to advocate either way. Each his own and trust me if i had a hotter engine id use an oil high in zinc. Are the metals they use better today?

28. Gman0046

Gman0046

Its cheap insurance to use a product that contains a high level of Zinc and Phosphorous. Why would anyone take a chance and use anything else?????

29. A Boner

A Boner

Don't know the date, but it was way after 1974......the government is always tightening the screws.....step by step. You have to remember most politicians don't know what end of a screwdriver to hold on to.

30. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Amen!