Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anyone had a 33-34 ford grill chromed lately

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XWYNNSGUY, Feb 15, 2014.

1. XWYNNSGUY

XWYNNSGUY

Hey all, Looking to have my 34 grill chromed at a fair price, I know that's a matter of opinion about what's fair and what's not. Nothing against Mr. Drake but would rather work my original back to life. So has anyone had one done recently and feel it came out great and you still had some beer money ??? Thx, Tom

2. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

The last one I had Plated cost $850.00 ,after I spent a week prepping and polishing it, they won't spend any time on your Grille Bars for that price so you have to smooth them out before taking it in, I also prefer the Real Deal compared to the Repo 34's I've seen . some guys are Happy with them though. the Nottingham 33 Grille is really nice , not so much the 34's in my opinion

Attached Files:

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I prefer the real stuff myself as well! Nothing like real Henry parts!

4. XWYNNSGUY

XWYNNSGUY

Mc, Spent time today on the grill bars with my friend the model makers techy dremel tool. The bars are rusty but the rest of the grill is pretty good. We have a few good platers in the Providence area so I should be OK ???

5. will depend on condition and how much work you can do to the grill. Fit the grill and make any tweaks to fit it to the car before plating and repair any threaded parts. this will save a few $s. I have seen 1500+ on these grills for plating.

6. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Also check with the crome shop and have them strip the chrome off first before doing repairs, will make it easier for them to plate later. After repair work, sand, polish all you can then have them copper dip it, then you take it back home and block sand and polish. Repeat this till you are happy then let them finish the crome. You can make it nicer than anyone else with your time smothing and polishing. I did mine this way quite some time ago. No repos back then. John

7. studefreak

studefreak

Had Don at American plating in Seattle do both my 33 grilles. Both were pretty nice and straight with very little pitting $1000 a piece Thought that was fair

8. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I may be way off but here in LA having a 33/4 grille chromed is like buying a new body. I had quotes of $3-4K for a decent 33. If you just want the outer shell and paint the bars I think it would run at least a $1000-1500 in our area. Paint that baby……there is one chrome one on epay for $6500….WOW!

9. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Were you happy with the results? I had a quote in Spokane for $1400-$3000 depending on condition. Mine is probably at the low end.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. studefreak

studefreak

I was pleased with the job . But mine were nice and had very little to no pitting on the sides of the bars and that's what can really drive up the cost

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Just to add: Once you have them copper strike the grill you can add solder to any pits and build up the area that way. Then you can smooth it out yourself. That way you save $$$$ and prevent the shop from polishing out any details that you don't want removed.

12. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Thanks for adding this, I did'nt remember it was so long ago:eek:! It's just like doing bodywork only with differant materials.

Too add, I had mine done at Art Brass in Seattle, they do excellent work and will work with you if you want to block sand and polish. Or they will do it all for you also.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  13. I had advanced plating in Nashville do some work for me a couple years ago, very nice job on repairs and plating...you can ship your parts to them for estimate.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. XWYNNSGUY

XWYNNSGUY

Thanks for the help guys, my jewelry model making friend and I have the bars looking straight and almost pit free!! One of his contacts in the business is stripping off the old chrome for us and working a copper source. Gotta have friends to help with these projects, and that's why the HAMB rules !!!

15. I had a 1935 Ford Grilled repaired and chromed, was bent up pretty good, a guys in Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh didit. He did a beautifull job, nobody else would do it, it cost me a lot, nothing left for beer money, the cost was $3000.00. I don't remember his name, but I believe he was in Butler, PA. Beautifull work. Hope this helped, Rich from Crossville, Tenn signing off

16. Pauls Chrome in Evans City maybe?

Dustin