Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-1960 Dodge/Fargo/DeSoto Truck only picture thread.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemiken, Nov 14, 2012.

1. porky55

porky55

I know of a couple on here. Laidout's '53 has a one piece and so don't Eastwood's pile house project does. It was a thought. I like the look of the one piece. I guess I'll have to make a jig and weld mine up. We'll see what happens. What's the going rate for a clam shell hood?

Sent from my MB886 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Not sure what the going rate would be, I know up here in northern alberta complete trucks sell for anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand depending on who is selling, and the pilot house trucks are plentiful here

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. On a side note I've read the entire thread on Laidouts truck and it never sunk in that it had a one piece hood! An incredible build however

4. porky55

porky55

Yes that truck is bad ass. I use to have a '58 and had to sell it. I bought this '51 after reading his build and couldn't take it, I had to have another one. I'm waiting to see more of that truck.

5. Im not done with my one piece hood mod yet, soon as I get the bed mods done ill be back on it, thanks!

6. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Thanks for the complement! A 57 hood will work with a mid 55-56 because the fenders and cab are the same. and maybe a 54-early55 after the slit window cab. but the 48-53's the cab cowl was very different (stretched over the motor into the engine bay more).

...Speaking of, I found this picture a few months back and its a head scratcher for sure. a 54-early55 with a 57 nose custom made to fit. almost looks like he was trying to have a 57 with the split hood…lol

[​IMG]

7. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

That is different ?

8. mojoe_24

mojoe_24
    from SoCal

http://imgur.com/a/loXW1#0

Inherited my grandpa's old 1956 C3. My friend cleaned out the carburetor and we were able to get it running. Seems to ride fine. Will be looking out for parts at Spring Fling this weekend. Now idea what I really need other than emblems, grill, and components for the bed.

9. Anyone looking for a great project, I just posted my '53 B3B in the classifieds section. I've got my eye on a '34 Ford pickup so some of my back burner projects need to be sold off.

[​IMG]

10. 72*birdman

72*birdman
    from Colorado

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Here are some shots of my other 57 project truck. The truck pictures are soon after I got it. It was in very good shape overall body wise but had no engine and the tranny was just setting in the bed. Although I havn't got to do much with it recently. I do have the cab setting on the restored 79 frame shown in the other picture. Its got a 70 318 and 727 auto in the frame right now but I think it will wind up with a 360 instead. I'll get some updated pictures of it so you can see the stance and I know I will have to find some off set wheels to bring the front tires back into the wheel wells some. Its my first attempt at going to a more modern chassie, but it will be nice to have the disk brakes and power steering. I moved since I took everything apart also so everything is in boxes just to throw a little more challenge into the mix. Original short, narrow box, big window pickup so with the warm weather coming back it time to get motivated again. 72* birdman

11. 72*birdman

72*birdman
    from Colorado

Here are some pics of the cab on the 79 frame. One of the engine compartment where I moved the firewall back for clearance. also a size view of the 79 frame after the modifacations. The front view is still on the original frame but after I cleaned and straightened the stainless, hood emblem, dodge letters, headlight bezels and the bumper.

Attached Files:

12. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

any idea where to find those door handles? I misplaced mine in the 20 years I've been sitting on this project

13. 72*birdman

72*birdman
    from Colorado

inside or outside. I think I might have a set of the outside handles. I have heard them called refrigerator door handles.

14. 72*birdman

72*birdman
    from Colorado

heres a picture of the handles and some other stuff

Attached Files:

15. IronTrap

IronTrap

Been getting back on mine here recently. Finished up the one piece hood and rear hinge conversion I brewed up a week or so ago.

[​IMG]

I also started on laying out the new bed design and I sunk the Chevy fenders into the running boards. Should start cutting out and bead rolling the new side panels for the bed later this week if all goes well!

[​IMG]

16. porky55

porky55

Nice matt. When are you putting out anymore YouTube videos? I like to see the progress

17. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

rear fenders are cool!

18. IronTrap

IronTrap

Thanks! I am going to be filming the process of making the new bed from scratch and modifying the Chevy fenders to fit so that will be the next video. If you want to catch up on the smaller updates click the link in my signature as I write blog posts for about everything I do to the truck!

19. porky55

porky55

Oh OK. I'm planning to chop mine after see how you did it. Very nice truck.

20. IronTrap

IronTrap

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry to bombard this thread! I really should start a build thread.. Building a new bed from scratch for the truck. Ditching the boat-trailer style original rear fenders in favor of some 47-55 Chevy fenders. Also moved the stakes/supports on the inside corners to clean up the exterior of the bed. Should have a video on the process up in a few weeks.

21. A couple of updated pics of my 56 just finished cleaning it up for the Syracuse Nationals this weekend IMG_20140714_154751.jpg IMG_20140714_154811.jpg

22. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Here are a couple of 1959 Dodge trucks that I bought in a package deal. They will be for sale. 009.JPG 006.JPG 010.JPG 006.JPG

23. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Heres one for the Record books… When was the last time you saw a 57 at a car show?… Let alone TWO 57's at a carshow!… older picture but thought eh… why not post it? such a rare occasion… so here is mine (Flatblack 57) and 72*birdman 's ( Blue 57) at MATS Lasvegas April 2014.

[​IMG]

24. porky55

porky55

Here's mine with the cab mounted on the frame again. I threw the fenders on to get a look. Now I need to lower the rear down to match the front. 1411688044189.jpg

25. very cool do you still have the stock front end or did you change it I have thought about lowering mine a little i am still using the stock straight axle and leaf springs. I have done a disc brake conversion great addition for the driveabilty compared to the pump and pray of my drums.

26. porky55

porky55

Its a Dakota front clip. It lowered the front quite a bit. I still need to change the rear and springs.

bdl likes this.
  27. That's cool I used a 87 Dakota rear end on mine I still have to hook up the e brake cable other than that I've had no problems

28. bdl

bdl

29. bdl

bdl

I used an '88 Dakota front frame clip (much like porky55) and built a custom frame from there back. A triangulated 4-link rear suspension connects the 1999 Mercury Mountaineer rear end (3.73:1 posi with disk brakes) to the frame. The front end tilts forward but also opens from each side, like original. Front door handles are from a 2004 PT Cruiser as are the lock mechanisms. Back door lock mechanisms are from a Dodge Ram van and the back door is opened by lifting a strategically located license plate. The gas filler is scavenged from a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The seats are from a couple different Dodge trucks (two front seats are from an extended cab Dakota so they tilt forward and the two back rows are from the front and middle rows of a Durango). The dash is from a 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser. The truck is motivated by a 5.9L Magnum MPFI engine from a 2002 Ram truck. I have been working on the body for a couple years now (slowly... I know:( ) but hope to have this thing on the road soon.