Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eight More Mystery Cars from the Golden Age of Hot Rodding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, Feb 14, 2014.

1. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the 36 and that last coupe.

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Love skirts! I I Just wish I could talk my wife into letting me put some on the 37. They give a car a classy 40's look that cant be beat.
    Great subject. Cant wait for more.

3. Can you believe how low the coupe is? Boy does it sit good.

4. Yep, that 5W sits niiiice.

Steve

5. Very interesting....MORE please.

6. 296ardun

296ardun

I'm not 100% sure but think the last car, the chopped '32 might be the Reath & Mailliard competition coupe that was the runner-up at the '56 NHRA nationals, driven by Don Little, beaten in the final by Mel Heath in a dragster...anyone else?

7. mechanic58

mechanic58

I enjoyed the pics and write-ups. I especially liked that cobbled together hemi-powered 'rail'.I shit in my pants a little bit just thinking about riding in that thing....lol.

8. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Being a teenager, hot rodder, in the early 50s, those are the kind of cars I remember. Bring back the 50s hot rod scene

9. Man that 32 5 window is the ducks nuts, one mean ass looking car..

10. Don't know if I have ever seen a photo of that car but when I get to the office, I'll look. Thanks for the lead!

11. Jamerson

Jamerson
    from Michigan

The 32 gold Ford Coupe "Gasser" in your link belonged to Billy Pate of Alabama.

12. Here's what I found in the coverage of the 1956 US Nats in the Nov. 1956 Hot Rod Magazine. Not a Deuce but a Austin/Bantam coupe, apparently.

However, there is one discrepancy. Here the car is called an A/Comp but elsewhere in the story there's mention of a Reath & Maillard B/Comp car. That leaves the possibility that the team had two cars at the meet.

[​IMG]

13. Bill: I e-mailed you an OLD pic of a hammered '32 5 window. Hope it fits. Tim

14. Thanks, appreciate it!

15. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Good ones Bill. Love that Billy Pate '32 and that '36 and the babe is sweet.

16. 296ardun

296ardun

I agree, appears that there were two Reath & Mailliard sponsored competition coupes at the '56 Nats. Here are a couple of shots from Don Ewald's, first, another picture of the Bantam, on the right:

[​IMG]

Caption: Another shot of the R&M coupe. Think that is Mailliard with the hat"

And here is a shot of the 32 coupe, marked B/C:

[​IMG]

Caption:
    [SIZE=-1]"As I remember it, this coupe of Reath & Mailliard was runner up to Mel Heath at the 1956 Kansas City NHRA Natls. Seems like they hurt an engine previous round, put in a smaller one so they could run more pop (flatheads of course!). Looks like Joe & Del in the background."
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-2]Photo & Commentary from Phil Hobbs[/SIZE]

17. Chuck R

Chuck R

Don't forget Lumpy's 40, seen here parked behind Wally's new ride.

[​IMG]

18. 296ardun

296ardun

It may not be the same one, chop looks about right (seems less crude on the passenger side, can't tell for sure), but the body is channeled down farther on the Reath and Mailliard coupe and the hood is different, maybe the coupe in the mystery set is an older version, but quite possibly not the same car...still, the search was fun.

19. Thanks for that! 40 Convertibles are so elegant.

20. Just because it's so great, here's the photo the Deuce you ID'ed. This car must have been the end of the world at the time. Blown hemi! Thanks again.

[​IMG]

21. I believe the original Maillard-Reath coupe and frame are tucked away in El Monte, Ca. awaiting restoration. The body is yellow with a faded C-T Strokers on the quarter panel. The frame is "windowed" with many trianglular lightening holes.

22. Thanks for the great info! Hope we get to see it soon.

23. Two hinges on ol' 303's passenger door and no butchered A pillar like the story coupe...don't think they're the same.

Steve

24. Agreed. Also, one car is channeled.

25. Wow Bill, never noticed until you mentioned it - another dead giveaway.

Steve

26. easy to see how it could be missed....the '32 5W is around as low as a channeled car, but sits on top of the Deuce rails. Low for its time, sorta rare for its time.

[​IMG]