Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. kngfisher

kngfisher
    from Virginia

Glad to see real usable tools instead of pics of kids swing sets being used as engine hoists :)

2. Stretchmobile

Stretchmobile
    from So Cal

I have done the same thing. Works great.

3. willo_96

willo_96

Not really a special tool, but another good trick with vice grips, if you have a gap when welding sheet ( or whatever) together, tack an old set either side of the gap, adjust the right pressure then close them up, works a treat. Let me know if you need a pic to explain better.

4. luke13

luke13

that cause he's from nz.

5. RED-EYE-KUSTOMS

RED-EYE-KUSTOMS
    from CA

I hate borrowing tools! I had my dad's cherry picker in the garage for several months and decided to put my own together. I just need to add a brace to the back and then I can see if it will actually lift and hold anything.

[​IMG]

The most time consuming part was waiting for OSHA to give me the weight capacities.......

[​IMG]

6. RamJet1

RamJet1

LOL! That had me cracking up good! I may have to copy that excellent idea.

7. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Hey bead roller guys:

I'm trying to convince myself to build or buy a bead roller. Have read numerous threads and posts on modifying inexpensive ones. If you go beyond just stiffening the frame, it looks to me like you are really buying 2 gears, two shafts and a couple of dies.

My questions are:

If a guy built his own, would there be any real benefit to making it wider? I see the advantage of width but how much is too much? I have some components that would make one with about a 30" throat. Looks like much more would require a motor as you would run out of reach.

What about mounting the shafts in sealed ball bearings?

Anything you would do to make the "Ultimate Bead Roller"?

Should you buy a small one to practice on, then step up?

8. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

GearHead - Here's my $0.02. If you're planning to build your own, build it with a wider bite. I've used a cheap HF roller (with modifications) for the last few years. I work in the industrial side of things and build a lot of rigging lockers, large tool storage, etc. for guys as a side hobby. If trying to roll the middle of a large sheet (see pics) you run out of room in a hurry on large panels. As soon as I finish a few items here I plan to rebuild my HF roller with a 36" depth and electric drive.

Here's a few examples - 2 pics of 2 different projects. The first 2 pics I wanted to roll towards the center of the back panel but couldn't, as is obvious. The last 2 pics are of a different design that would've been easier with a deeper bite.

And for clarification - guys give me the size of what they need and the rest is kind of my own "interpretation" so nothing is set in stone.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Attached Files:

9. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

That cabinet is awesome!!!

10. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

Me too, please

11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude! There is no way you have time to build cars!

12. rodl

rodl

/\ /\ /\ /\ x2 - those panels look as good as ones done in a press! I dig the flames on the cabinet doors as well.

13. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Just a hobby on the side guys - plus it puts a little money in the "hot rod fund." And there's always time to build cars.

Dan

14. willo_96

willo_96

My $0.02 worth, bigger the better, with a electric motor and a table to make life easier. As far as modifying or building goes it all depends on your own capabilities, buying a "HF" roller gives you dies, bushes, gears and shafts to lengthen if needed, easier than finding or making those pieces. And it depends on what you want to do with it.

15. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Thanx Dan and Willo,

I'm looking at building my own from scratch. But, the gears I want to use are 3" or 3 1/2" on center. This means that the most available dies won't work. With a lathe, this would be no problem, but I don't have one.........yet. It seems that large diameter dies would be helpful on long straight runs but not good for turning corners. Is that right?

This brings me back to buying a cheap one and modifying it and eventually building a bigger and better one. Life is complicated!

Dan, that cabinet is awesome!

16. bct

bct

I built mine from scratch and I am still tempted to buy a cheap one just for the dies. I'd say buy a used HF and start there.

17. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Big dan, those are awesome!

Could you give a ball-park price on that one as an example? Thanks!

18. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Instead of the HF you can get the Woodward Fab from summit for cheaper, and the plate is 3/8 instead of 1/4. I think mine was 140 to my door

Sent from my LG-P769 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

I keep it simple. Materials x 2. Then I get to experiment and see what I can come up with.

Dan

20. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Wow, that seems extremely reasonable- almost too cheap for such nice creativity and work!

Granted, I don't know the exact $$ for the material, but comparing it to some other stock I can get an idea.

Thanks for the quick reply and keep posting!

21. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Here's mine. Woodward Fab with 2x2x1/4 square tube to stiffen it up, and a re-purposed HF winch for power. It will do 16 gauge without a problem. Next one I build will have a deeper throat, but this one is great for most stuff.

Attached Files:

22. gatz

gatz

nice job, niceguy

Is the DC motor set up for variable speed or single speed fwd/rev ?

what throat depth are you considering?
    what is the opening vertical distance?

23. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

It's variable speed. El cheapo eBay speed control. The next one I build will be a gear reduction motor with a better speed control and 36 inch throat. I'm also going to build a support table for big flat sheets.

24. carbuilder

carbuilder

Ben building a new planishing hammer 39 in throat depth 23 height Kent White Motor, holder, die receiver & master die set. Frame is 1/2 in wall scrap I had sitting around.
    1.JPG
    3.JPG
    2.JPG
    4.JPG

25. RamJet1

RamJet1

Just a quick note on the modified cheap bead roller idea.
    Eastwood has theirs on sale through Rod & Custom (www.eastwood.com/RC414) for $159, free shipping, and a free sheet metal gauge. Standard 18" throat, six pairs of dies.
    I bought mine with the intention of beefing it up right away. I also ordered the two body shrinker / stretcher set fro $159 also, free shipping, backordered though.

I did have to call and tell the lady about the deal, and even scan and email the page out of the magazine to show the free shipping as they don't usually free-ship heavy stuff like that. Sale is good through April 30.

26. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

summit racing $139 and free shipping. woodward fab. bead roller. thats where i got mine.

27. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Never thought about those HF winches for power - good idea. I may have to use that one! :D Once a guy has the drive gears and dies its all a matter of preference on the length, but I'm still leaning towards 36" for the bite for mine. Nice setup.

Dan

28. willo_96

willo_96

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392584440.820245.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392584456.537561.jpg
    Cheap easy set of dividers, these ones are made out of 6mm stainless, hard to find a set that go big and are still useable for small stuff

29. willo_96

willo_96

And another one, home made 1" rhs bender, made out of left over plate and a old trailer wheel bearing hub and stub. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392584978.541066.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392584993.231257.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392585006.035030.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392585019.640954.jpg
    Works good on small pipe as well

Ulu likes this.
  30. gatz

gatz