Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 chevy 3w....time for a cool change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 11, 2014.

1. a couple of weeks ago i pulled my car out of storage and towed it to the workshop. i have not driven it for almost twenty years and i finally have some time, some cash, and room to work on it.

Attached Files:

Stogy, hipster, strangepanel and 2 others like this.
  2. olskool34

olskool34

Beautiful scenery and cool coupe. My friend's father had a 33 chevy 3 window built back in the early 60's. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Stogy likes this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

Pretty car, looks to be in good shape. What are your plans for it?

Stogy likes this.
  4. Don't Ask:rolleyes:

Stogy likes this.

5. Pictures from back in the day!:cool: I had a ride in it when I was 15 years old:cool: I'm 66 now:eek: A cool car indeed:cool:

Attached Files:

Speed Gems, Stogy, simpsonrl and 3 others like this.
  6. here is the history of the car; my dad and uncle built the car when they were in high school, it was my dads daily driver and weekend drag car that he drove to the strip. the car was quick and there are trophies to prove it.
    the car was in custom rodder twice, april of'61 and october of '62, rodding and restyling, april '61 and hop up, march of '62.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2014
    nunattax, ct1932ford, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  7. some more;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2014
    ct1932ford, Stogy, motorntv and 3 others like this.
  8. thanks, do you have any pictures?

Stogy likes this.
  9. I like the Dodge Lancers with the red rims!:rolleyes::cool:

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  10. my dad started with a 265 sbc and 411 gears when he first built it, then he put the 283, then a 301 with 456 gears. my plan is to build it to what his next upgrade would have been in '63. i am putting a 327 with a 283 crank and if plans go right a full syncro 3 speed with overdrive unit [all pre 63 stuff]

Stogy, ct1932ford and volvobrynk like this.
  11. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

That's a sweet car, best to you man!

Stogy likes this.
  12. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Very Cool. :cool::cool::cool:

Stogy likes this.
  13. Man that's so cool. !!!
    It's even ok they called your dads car a true street rod ;)

Timchek, Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  14. thanks, my dad put the car away when he got married, had us pita's and bought an old house that needed lots of work. the car sat until i started to work on it when i was 14. i removed the two carbs and changed the 456 to 336 gears, i changed out the plate glass, converted the front brakes from '41 truck backing plates to '51 car backing plates, put chrome wheels on it. i changed the fuel tank filler back to an out side fill.
    i also took the austin seats out and replaced them with black camaro buckets, i changed almost all the red from the interior. i then had a friend strip the car to bare metal and paint it a lighter green.
    i drove the car to high school like my dad, and drove the car all over new england, new york, pennsylvannia, new jersey, ohio. then....i got married, started a business, and bought an old house that needed work, then sold that and bought bigger old house that needed work, then sold that and bought an even bigger house that the "this old house crew" would have run screaming from. now that it is nearing completion it is time for my car.

ct1932ford, Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  15. scoggman

scoggman

Super sweet, and glad you are keeping the legacy alive!

Stogy likes this.
  16. i named the car "cool change" i always thought it fitted it, i made my changes [please forgive me it was the late seventies/ early eighties] but i am going back to my dads next "cool change" might have been.

Stogy likes this.
  17. i always referred to it as a street rod:eek::cool:
    i removed the newer seats and started work on a bench seat with seat backs that tilt forward to access the rumble area. this was one of the reasons i removed the austin seats, you could not get in the back easily.
    i have already scrounged some 15" wheels and thanks to the hamb, i located the lancer hubcaps.

18. Hope it's okay; I converted your scans to .jpg and edited your posts to include them for all to enjoy!

Great rig, can't wait to see more!!

Stogy likes this.
  19. thanks, dad is still able to wrench, and we have been working on it over the last couple weeks. it's funny we went through the brake system of the car together, the last time i did it was 1979, the last he did it was 1957.:eek::cool:

20. thanks, i wish i knew how to do that.

ct1932ford and Stogy like this.
  21. olskool34

olskool34

Yeah I am pretty sure I can come up with some. It was red and had a 283. Very similar to yours.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Stogy and luckylou like this.
  22. Squablow

Squablow

Super happy to hear it's going to get Lancers again like the way it was originally built! And the period Chevy motor sounds fine by me, looking forward to seeing more about this.

Stogy, hipster and volvobrynk like this.
  23. i picked up a set of 15" rims and a set of coker wide whites. i sandblasted and painted the wheels, black, not red like my dad had it [i hate red, with green].
    here is a picture of the lancers, i chose them over the other caps my dad used/mixed and matched/changed to.

Attached Files:

Stogy, falcongeorge and volvobrynk like this.
  24. wahoo

wahoo

Looks like a really cool car. Hope to see it at the local shows.

25. I think they (wheels) should be RED as they were!:cool: Lets Vote:rolleyes:

26. thanks wahoo. see you around.
    ct1932ford vote this!:D
    red wheels do not belong on a green car.

Mikel50 likes this.
  27. How Cool is This? I rest my case!:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Sandgroper, Stogy, motorntv and 2 others like this.
  28. Awesome car, looking forward to seeing the progress you make and getting it back on the road

29. thanks!
    some picture of the underside before we started;
    notice my dad had painted the bottom gold/copper. since the body, front fenders, doors,running boards have never been off the car, i am not at this time going to take the car off the frame, but do like my dad did, wire brush and clean the under side and paint.

Attached Files:

Racer29 and volvobrynk like this.
  30. AHotRod

AHotRod

Cool story, and sweet old HotRod