Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 46 chebby coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheelnutmarc, Jan 29, 2014.

1. upspirate

upspirate

Looking good.

I'd think about a removable center section for the trans cross-member to make it easier down the road to pull the trans

Did the passenger cars have the weird spring centerbolt that caused the rearend to be non-centered in the wheel wells when changing to a later rear or just the trucks around that vintage?

2. wheelnutmarc

wheelnutmarc

Done some home work last nite,and found why the front crosmember sounded solid when you beat your knukles on it????
    Gues there was an inch of debri,dirt,and old grease hidden inside the cros member,so now it's a lot lighter and sound hollow as it supposed to be.

Attached Files:

3. wheelnutmarc

wheelnutmarc

Maybe later i wil change the cross member,and make it removeble,but first dutch papers and then i can change what ever i want.

Youre right the old rear saddle sits off center from the axle,and thats why the center bolt in the leaf spring sits about an inch and a half out of the real middle of the leaf spring,i wil remedy this by drilling a extra hole in the lowering block,and set the "new" axle on the right place.

4. wheelnutmarc

wheelnutmarc

One of the k.member beams was removed an repaired previus by the last owner,but was bolted back in to the frame,i did'nt liked this so i made a cople of studs turned down from bolt's to act as a Original rived like it was from the factory.welded the back of the rived and this is more to my liking!!

Attached Files:

5. historynw

historynw

Good luck with your build I have 47.

7. If your front shocks leak oil, you can fit external tube shocks, and leave your leaky ones in and they will then just act a an upper "A" arm. The originals are expensive to get overhauled, if you don't live in the U.S.
    There,s some good information on lowering your original rear springs by flipping the main leaf,- http://www.cbforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=22488.0

8. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Cool build, and I thought it was hard to get parts in the states looks like yours is in nice shape good luck with it

9. wheelnutmarc

wheelnutmarc

This is indeed a good base to start from,save's a lot of work later on,mistr My 47buicksuper.

I've got one leaky front shock and put external shocks later on,if they dont work.
    And thank for the link for flipping the main leaf spring mistr 36roadster.

Try to keep the photo's and updates commin!!!mistr 1 Kool.

Youve seen the real thing live!!

10. some Rare Marc in action pictures :p

freshly painted chassis

[​IMG]

and couldnt resist installing the leafsprings while paint is drying

[​IMG]

11. BuicKKustom

BuicKKustom

nice Marc chassis is black, ......... again.:D

12. wheelnutmarc

wheelnutmarc

Yup,JP.
    It's black again,....but now in paint!!!:eek:
    Had some minor welding to do,and put it in a anti rust epoxy coating ,and after that an all in one topcoat paint.
    After painting the under side of the chassis ,upside down!and a day later flipped it and painted the top side.
    I also found out that the leaf springs, that came with my pile of spare parts are two inch lower than the one's that where under the car ,so cleaned them up and painted them too.
    So while the top was drying i couldend resist bolting the leaf springs on the already dry side!!!:cool:

13. farmer12

farmer12

The chassis came out looking awesome, nice work!

14. leaf springs installed by Marc and locating the 55 chevy rear axle and setting the angle

[​IMG]

and just aquired rims have been sandblasted and got a rust protective coat
    getting ready for a primer and body color paint

[​IMG]

15. BuicKKustom

BuicKKustom

nice anymore progresssssssss?

16. wheelnutmarc

wheelnutmarc

Yes JP.
    got the rear axle on it's new place,set the angle and replaced the saddles for the wider placed leaf springs.
    got the front cross member cleaned,dé rusted,and painted,and bolted in place.
    shortned the prop shaft,becouse with the other lower springs,lowering block's and relocater plate there was no room for movement left,so took out halve an inch away.
    made an new bolt inn cros member for the rear shock absorbers,and welded a bracket to the ground plate for the lower shock mounting.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  17. wheelnutmarc

wheelnutmarc

photo's from the bought lowering set and the relocater plate's that i made.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  18. wheelnutmarc

wheelnutmarc

shortned prop shaft.and space left too move!!!

Attached Files:

19. wheelnutmarc

wheelnutmarc

Meanwhile,Sander's dad started to attack the plaster or bondo ,and burn and scrape away old paint.

Attached Files:

20. BuicKKustom

BuicKKustom

and found what you're lookin' for

21. wheelnutmarc

wheelnutmarc

Yes,JP.
    Found the last big part that was missing .
    This wil be on it's way to Holland soon.

Attached Files:

22. wheelnutmarc

wheelnutmarc

Got the rear axle set up ready,xept for the brake line's and hand brake cable.

Attached Files:

23. BuicKKustom

BuicKKustom

zie er netjes uit

24. wheelnutmarc

wheelnutmarc

Done lots of small ,time cosuming things ,that you never wil notice,and moved up to the front suspension,take it apart, cleaning,and then painting it and reassemble it again.

and meanwhile Sander couldend resist to finnish te job i started with,putting the new ww tires that i stil had kicking around,on the freshly painted rims and ballance them as wel.!!!

Attached Files:

25. He Marc

Nice to see you have a new project after selling some other cars like your 40 Merc.
    It will be a nice cruiser for sure.

Groeten Hennie

26. Great work fellas !

27. wheelnutmarc

wheelnutmarc

Almost made it to my first meting with half off my Chevy project, but unfortunatly engine trobless delayed this to another meeting,until the truck is repaired.
    Sander made some great photo's in the spring sun annyway.

Attached Files:

28. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Definately not a 46 hood. My avitar shows my 46 coupe but does not give a good shot at the front. The wings on the hood ornament for the 46 goes straight up & not out horizontal. Love my 46 & hope you get yours up and going soon. Mine has been down for engine overhaul but that is finished & just need to get it installed. My new engine is a 1957 235 six that is bored 0.060 with a street cam & dual two barrell carbs.
    good luck with yours, Jimmie

29. wheelnutmarc

wheelnutmarc

You're right it's a 47/48 hood,same with the fenders,i'am not shure with the body,but the papers say 46 so thats what it wil be, and there's a matching grille underway to boot.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. wheelnutmarc

wheelnutmarc

Test fitted de body, and tackwelded the front brace's that a previus owner "before JP" have bin hackt off with a torch.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014