Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. 1bad32sedan

1bad32sedan
    from Wisconsin

Have you ever even been to the Meltdown before? The Meltdown Drags is by far 1 of the best events I have ever been to. It is very well organized and everyone that attends is treated equally. Weather your car is fast or slow you will get plenty of passes. And the cars are pushed threw in a very timely fashion.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

This is an event for guys who have a vintage car who wants to run for fun and bragging rights. Your earlier post about running for money makes me think this might not be an event for you. Yes I agree the cars need to be safe, but the attitude about guys who run slow need to be in a parade so they don't take up up your time is disrespectful. I could see if you had ever been to this event...then maybe your imput would be of some value, but the tone that comes across in your posts makes me think that this event isn't for you. I hope you prove me wrong and come have a good relaxed time at the event, but if your coming only to be king of the mountain...then your coming for the wrong reason.

Meltdown Drags July 18-20 2014

3. Deadbird

Deadbird

Looking forward to this one. Heard a lot of good things about last year.

4. 1bad32sedan

1bad32sedan
    from Wisconsin

Very well put. :thumbup:

5. koop13

koop13
    from Wisconsin

Racer X-

It all goes back to what the Meltdown Drags is, I would recommend that you go to the website to read about it. They lay it out pretty clear.

This event is the only event in the country where it is about recreating the past and hanging out with like minded people. It is not an event that gives preference to the fastest car, nor should it be.

I drive a 55 chevy over 100 miles to the event and then run a bunch of 15 second passes and have the time of my life. I find someone else who runs a similar time and we have a blast. I have made new friends as a result.

The best part of the event is that all of the other racers and fans enjoy my passes as much as others. People respect the blood, sweat and tears we have all put into our cars and the unique ways we have made them true to the era.

Let's all not make the Meltdown into something it is not. If you want to do something different, I would recommend you devote the time that the MDA does to put on an event of your own.

The Meltdown is the one weekend a year that I forget about the other worries and bs in life. It is a no stress event to go back in time.

Let's get back to talking about the awesome event and drop the mindless chatter.

6. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

The origins of this event were built on several shared feelings among MANY PEOPLE....(clearly)
    Keep the MONEY out of it, it causes cheating, anger, complaining and we lose sight of why we are all coming to this event.
    Get OBSOLETE iron out of the garage for people to enjoy...NO MATTER how fast it is and the driver decides HOW FAST he wants to run the car. Let me assure you this is no parade. We are here to TEACH, pay tribute, and RE-CREATE to the best of our ability the way a drag meet looked 1966ish.
    ALL cars are welcome 9 seconds to 20 + seconds....after reviewing vintage video this weekend I am again reminded that back then....early and mid-60's cars were NOT nearly as fast due to tire compounds and many other factors.
    This is a DRAG MEET....I have always said this....if you are coming with something to prove....this is not the event for you.....NO ONE is going to care or be impressed with the guy who puts the most money into his engine/car....people want to see accurate races the way they remember. (and yes there is modern equipment there we haven't forgotten this is 2014) but the overall look and feel is "the way it was".
    Case and point....we don't PAY people to attend, we treat people right, the focus is and has always been on the right cars and people. ALOT of people donate their time, effort, goodie bag items, giveaways, support in 100 ways...so many in fact it is hard to keep track of them and THANK them all ( THANK ALL OF you that help from the little help to the big help)
    It is dis-respectful to all of them to try to educate us on how the event should be, when you have never attended!
    Bottom line....some guys get it, some guys do not get it!

7. Bob181

Bob181

Racerx I read this everyday, I never came here yet to see it. But I want to come. I read this note you put on here I have never been so mad why would you act like this all your posts look like some guy desperate to show off. Please look at me I am the fastest boost my ego. I never posted a note like this and I am fuming mad
    Keep up the good work guys I plan to come this year if money holds out. I love what you are all doing

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well crap reading into the criteria of the race my car (being at the upper end of the year cut off) it should be shiny.
    Damn I better get to work.

9. DH9185

DH9185

It was late last night when I posted this, must have been tired (my story and I'm stickin' to it). What I was really intending to discuss was neutral safety switch, not reverse lockout; thus the referral to the Lokar part. With that clarification, I have no operating neutral safety switch unless I can work some mods to fit it past my tranny shield attaching bar (the mounting space is too narrow with the shield installed).
    That said, do any of you recall ever having a Meltdown inspector ask you to put your auto tranny in D and try to start the car? On a slower car I wouldn't think this would be a big deal. It takes some cranking to start it in P anyway so it's not going to start any easier in gear and, even if it did, it's not going to blast off with 3000 HP uncontrolled. I don't even get asked at other events.

10. 1bad32sedan

1bad32sedan
    from Wisconsin

I've raced my altered wheelbase 65 Malibu at the meltdown and other events at Byron Dragway and never been asked to do this. I don't see u having a problem at all.

11. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

By far the BEST EVENT I have ever been to!!! The first few years I attended didn't even have a car to run but the atmosphere was beyond expectations! I towed All hacked up to one of the Meltdowns and was made to feel like I was a rockstar!! Wasn't even my car but felt welcome!!, I knew I had to build something to participate in this event. So I traded a 10 second Camaro for my Grape, not about being the fastest car out there just about belonging to a elite group who don't want the past forgotten!!! Parade laps would be a joke everyone spends the whole year building for this event weather it's a 2000 dollar car or a 50000 dollar car every one belongs and no one is put on a pedistal this event is for EVERYONE to enjoy not just an elite few who think they are better than the rest, this is the one place where every one is on the same page!!! BEEBEE

12. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Hey Dave, thought you were doing BSC that weekend? If you're going to the Meltdown I'll see you there then

13. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Your coming all the way over here that weekend. Awesome, are you bringing the truck?

14. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Ha! I wish,now that would be something to tell the Grandkids.
    Cost me enough to get it to the UK in the first place, just spectating and really looking forward to it too.

15. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I hear ya...you will have a blast either way.

16. DH9185

DH9185

It would be great to finally meet you Ray but, truth is, I'm still trying to decide. Pretty long trail over there from where I am but sounds like fun. Norwalk's only an hour north so still leaning that way a bit. These guys are pumping me up a little with the smack talk though, lol. I do like the sounds of the format. At the BSC seems I'm lining up against a 15 sec car or 11 sec car instead of 13 or just under like mine. Close races are definitely more fun. Hope she runs a little better on this new motor at TRP, we'll see.
    Keep us posted on the truck progress over on fx, you been kinda quiet lately. ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I405 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

VERY WELL PUT! This event is looking for people like yourself as you sir understand the event. Whether your planning on running a car or coming to spectate, the MDA would be honored to have you there. This is an event that i look forward to each and every year, and no I'm not the fastest (shooting for some 14's with my inline 6) but this is all about having a great time and stepping back in time of vintage drag racing.

18. i was looking for some clarification here. on another thread some one had posted that cars could idle down the track. and were invited to do so. i never said a 13 sec. car was slow. i also have nothing to prove as i have already proven myself. as for attending nostalgic races i have attended my fair share all over the country for years. im just looking for a event were everyone has fun and is safe while taking their runs seriously. no body wants a clown in the other lane. i have seen video of the past events and it looks good. again another site was claiming to have cars idling down the track not slower cars but cars that idled. i was looking for clarification if this was indeed the case. just so everyone can take a deep breath and relax.

19. DH9185

DH9185

Thanks for the feedback. I'd hate to trailer over only to get knocked out for a minor technical infraction. My gut feeling is that they would also overlook the lack of an aluminum rear firewall too, given how well this battery is boxed and secured right behind the cage x-bars but who knows. They're okay with it at the Gasser Reunion.

20. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

If it's good there pretty sure it's good here Also. This is going to be a do not miss event hope to see ya out there!! This place will be rockin' !!

21. koop13

koop13
    from Wisconsin

I don't know about everyone else, but this cold weather I'd getting to me and I can't wait for god Meltdown.

I thought it would be cool to share some of the anticipated match races to get us all excited for the 5th annual Meltdown.

Since I am one of the sons from Koopmeiners and sons, I thought I would start with that one.

Attached Files:

22. powrshftr

powrshftr

Cold weather...?
    This is what it looked like on the road into work today...!:)
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392089464.683703.jpg
    75 miles south of the Arctic Circle Brother!:D

Nobody want summer to get here worse than this cat!

Scott

23. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ps:
    I can't wait to see your Old Man make some noise with his 55...:)

Scott

24. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

I have read every post on this thread, but may have missed it
    Is there going to be any bands?

just an idea about the "parade cars" . between noon and 1pm. Ron Leek
    Usually stops all racing so his guys can get a break. Maybe he / they will let cars go down the track for photo ops. NOTHING at speed. So maybe
    some of the cars that come to show only or people want at least to say they been down the track.

I have been told to keep my thoughts to myself before...... so fire away

25. Saxxon

Saxxon

Let me clarify the whole "idle" comment since it caused so much controversy... The rule of the event includes "run you car". There has never been any pressure to make a full out banzai run. There has never been any pressure to attend with a fast car... as stated here, the fast cars do not get preferential treatment. The staging lanes are run in rotation so the slow cars get equal treatment as the fast and faster cars. That was all I implied.

It has been my experience that many folks do make every effort to run all out and make entertaining passes. why wouldn't you with 5000 people in the stands?

This is the best car event I have ever attended. It's fun, relaxed yet intense at the same time. This is NOT the place for folks looking to add wins to their resume nor is it somewhere you will win cash... in fact the only "win" is the entire event

Sorry to start the arguments and finger pointing... Racer-X if you want to show up and have fun with absolutely no pressure...then attend Meltdown...you will not regret it. I'm the guy with the red and white farm truck gasser handing out the Canadian beer... swing by and say hi.

26. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Saxxon, I know our beer is not up to the standards of the great white north but what kind of beer would you drink if you had none of the good stuff from your neck of the woods and had to drink beer from the states???

Jon

27. powrshftr

powrshftr

Say Rolling Rock...!!!!! :D

Scott

28. Saxxon

Saxxon

MGD or "real" Coors

29. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Thank You, I want to make sure I have some when I see you to add to your cooler :D

Kind of the Smokey and the Bandit thing with the COORs but backwards and on a smaller scale.

Jon

30. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Scott, I will have you covered ;)

Jon