Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hitchhikers Guide Episode VI: Return of the Hitchhiker.... Hot Rod Model A banger

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hitchhiker, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Yep, and just finger tight.

2. I'd start by measureing the piston height over block, and if free spaced, I'd only change, if the shorter plugs are easy to find.
    By filling the compression compartment with longer spark plugs, you also heighten your compression - properbly not alot, but that might just give you the edge down the line! :D ;)

3. Wish I had a better pic, but the head is at the shop and inaccessible at the moment...

My 'Yellow Head' with 18mm 1/2" reach plugs; you need 3/8" reach plugs on that head.

[​IMG]

4. Piston interference shouldn't be a concern as the plug is located over the valves...I'd be much more concerned about the possibility of the exposed threads creating a hot spot in the cylinder - needs a shorter reach plug IMO.

5. Alright I figured I needed to write this down in one place...

At this point I need to

order cloth spark plug wires
    rebuild the fuel pump and carb
    make fuel lines
    torque the head down
    adjust valves
    paint front suspension
    king pins
    front and rear brakes.
    Master cylinder mount.
    install rebuilt steering box
    install trans
    install another rear leaf
    shocks
    water pump
    belt
    starter
    install radiator, hood, grill and lights.
    hook up wiring

I'm sure this list will get longer...

6. I usually make a big list, and when I start working, I can't find the list anymore...

7. Ah... Very sorry 'bout the brain fart! :eek: Had been on work for 13,5 hours, and thought I was being funny - apparently I was more tiered, than I wanted to admit. Thank god I'm constructing enormous diesel engines, and only the lower bottom, so I never face this probelm in my everyday work... Would never hear the end of it... ;)

8. Paint? Fancy!
    Why another leaf? I like it!
    Don't worry, it usually does!

9. Brush paint....:D

It needs another leaf because its to soft. It has six in it now. Just sitting here it has settled alot. I think 7 will be the perfect amount. should still be plenty soft and low. we'll see.

10. If you're serious, I need to send you some info...Had an old timer share some tips on how to get it to flow; been experimenting with it and it works amazingly well.

11. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

If you still need plugs, I probably have a set of period NOS Auto-Lites, you saw the huge box of NOS plugs that I bought on IG. I'll look through them to see if I have the size you need...

12. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I know I have A11's and A7's which are 14mm 3/8" reach plugs, Hot and Medium range respectively...

13. If you don't have any I've got a main leaf that you could cut to length to fill in any missing on the stack you've got.

14. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Please share!

15. Go with the A7's...they cross-reference with a Champion J8. The 11's are too hot IMO.

Tell ya what, lemme get some materials together over the next few weeks and I'll do a 'tech' on it.

16. I'd appreciate that too! Thanks.

17. I really enjoyed reading through your entire thread and trying to absorb as much as possible. I just picked up a 29 phaeton and have a lot to learn! It's amazing the knowledge floating around the hamb!

18. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

is it soup yet?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Definitely serious. I want to keep the body as is, besides fixing the little rust it has, and then just brush it as a protective measure, instead of trying to straightening it and fancy paint it.

20. Hitchhiker: Brush painting it made me very glad to hear! I really enjoy hearing about and seeing your work on this car, you have my deepest respect for keeping with the cars history, and not glossing it over. :)

Looking forward to the result of your attempt with 2nd leaf. I know, fewer leafs makes it settle- my front became lower during the summer, as I "forgot" to go easy with it. ;)
    Next summer I'll try the rear. :)

gwhite: Thanks, that might come in handy. :)

21. hemiboy

hemiboy

So when you clean up the springs, paint and assemble them, are you going to take old u-joints, rob the needle bearings, and put one under each spring tip?

22. Tank

Tank

I saw where you said you took out the second leaf because it hit the reverse eye main leaf. You need that one... by adding it back in you'll gain your stiffness back. I ran into the same thing on my coupe. I trimmed it to fit and removed 2 of the shorter leaves on up a little further for a total of 5 leaves all together, and made a spacer out of 2 trimmed down broken leaves and added them to the bottom to take up the space. It works well for my car.

23. Thanks Dude!

I haven't heard that one before. Interesting. I think it would be pretty hard to pull off with how I assemble the spring.

When I assembled it last time I chamfered the spring tips and polished them. When I take it apart this time I will add the leaf, dry graphite lube, and the polish job to the last leave. Then I will paint it assembled. We'll see how well it works.

thanks, that's kinda what I thought. Do you think you could handle a heavy load in the trunk well? I'm thinking I am going to do seven just to keep some load capacity, thanks for the advice.

24. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

I want that tech info too...

25. Carter

Carter

Ditto, sorry for the hijack, Matt.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. No worries bud!

27. I just spent hours looking for a v8 torque tube coupler in my garage. Anyone got one for sale?

28. How many ya want, come pick.

29. ill bet chris has a dozen in his shed
    all though thay may be attached to bitchen cars, but there may be a strageler
    tk

30. Yeah, I had 4 at the early bird swap, came home with 1!