Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. altered59lark

altered59lark
    from cincinnati

I thought I saw his pic on the pre registered cars but not sure. Hope someone can set this up!

2. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Yeah, he is registered. He runs with the St. Louis crew.

Meltdown Drags July 18-20 2014

3. altered59lark

altered59lark
    from cincinnati

Cool I love the car! Hope to get a match up!

4. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

I have a window net, but i never used it last year at the meltdown.

5. Thanks Joel, probably run mine since I already have it. Standing in line 5:30am (pretty cold, I gotta a hoodie on),to get into the Long Beach HiPo swapmeet, see if I can find a nice surge tank for our injectors.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  6. warrant

warrant
    from Canada

Oh my god... I was just content to read this thread, until now.

Napoleon? Hey, Dave, how tall are you? bwahahahahahaha

PS I love you.

7. Saxxon

Saxxon

Disturbing on so many levels...

Now... you need to be less than content to just post... time to come with us !!

8. I just emailed you Bill's contact info. Give him a call!

Attached Files:

9. altered59lark

altered59lark
    from cincinnati

cool thanks!!

10. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Window net - up to the track tech guys, or your own safety concerns, welcome to use it or not...be safe!!

11. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

I have a few questions. How many cars is the cut off before you can't be part of the event ? If I am able to attend, I will be registering closer to the event itself. I am looking into updating my rear wheels (do 200S wheels in fit the criteria ?) Also, my 55 will be in the 13-14 sec range, I am a bit confused on the NHRA rules as to if I cannot run a stock flywheel and bellhousing. I will be running street tires and won't be doing a burnout and any massive clutch dumping launches because I will be driving my car there and back and will need to not break parts so I can drive home !

12. Saxxon

Saxxon

The NHRA rules are available online

Hey kids...lets be clear here !
    The MDA have always stated that the cars must be safe and should comply with NHRA safety based on the cars performance. However, it's the track / track tech officials who have final say.

In my opinion we should not be pinging the MDA for safety questions and what-ifs. The Byron tech guys get what this group is doing and understand the spirit of the event so in some cases they have been very liberal. However...after last years unfortunate event I would not be surprised if they start getting tough (Just my opinion)

<TABLE class=cms_table width=540 align=center><TBODY><TR class=cms_table_tr vAlign=top><TD class=cms_table_td align=left>11.50 - 13.99
    </TD></TR><TR class=cms_table_tr vAlign=top><TD class=cms_table_td align=left>
    \
    Auto Trans Reverse Lockout
    Driver Restraint System SFI 16.1 (Convertibles only)
    Helmet (Snell 95 or 41.1A min)
    Liquid Overflow Bottle
    Roll Bar (Convertibles only at 13.49)
    Working Tail Lights
    (IHRA) Driveshaft Loop Required With Slicks
    (IHRA) Valid Driver&#8217;s License except Jr Dragsters

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    The message has been clear from the start. Pre-register now - even if you are not sure you can attend. You can always back out later and advise the MDA so they can let in a car waiting.

How hard you run the car is entirely up to you as long as you run the car. The basic rules for the event have also been very consistent:

Run your car
    Be safe
    No Whining

13. Im always left wondering what guys are thinking when it comes to safety. Hang around a track a few times and you will see all kinds of ugly accidents. Guys will have no problem dropping cash on paint and engines etc. Then they question themselves on scatter shields and seat belts wtf. When the pieces are coming through the floor or you are flipping upside down you will be wishing you spent a little more on safety. To say my car only does 13s or so is really no excuse. You are only fooling yourself. Hitting the guard rail at any speed or blowing a fly wheel at any rpm can injure or kill you. Not to mention spectators or the guy in the other lane. The best safety advancement in years has to be a engine diaper for many reasons. There is nothing wrong with going above and beyond what the rule book says. A example being fire suits. There is a recomended spec for your et. Now does any one think the fire is less hot at 12secs than 7sec.passes. Of course not. So why by a cheap fire suit. The same applies every where else on a car. Please build them safe.

14. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

I want to follow the rules and be safe. I wasn't implying it's a 13 sec car so nothing can happen because it's not as fast as other cars. I have helped build a number of cars over the years and well understand what can happen at a track since I was a starter, tech. inspection help and a track crew member pulling guys out of cars flipped upside and smashed into the wall. As I read through the NHRA rules I felt it was not clearly stated as to if they were required per their checklist. I'd pend money on everything else before I worried about a fancy paint job and chrome parts.

15. Saxxon

Saxxon

Good enough for all involved. My intent was not to point a finger or make you feel bad or whatever... far from it. I have always suggested to err on the side of safe rather than not. I don't think anyone here is picking a fight or singling you out intentionally...lets not go there. (Please)

I also see a pattern where the safety questions are being directed to the MDA. That's not fair nor is it correct. The MDA will set and enforce the guidelines for attendance. The Track and the NHRA rulebook enforce the safety.

Trust me when I tell you, if you have to ask... the answer should always be to follow the rulebook. If the book is vague and ambigous, interpret it as what you should add - rather than not have to add.

if you feel the car is not entirely safe (Gut feel or by the book) then follwo the MDA suggestion... run the car !! Idle it down the track if you have to but... run the car. There is no pressure to run fast, or run hard. This is not a "race". Of course IMO... runing full banzai rocks... but it's not worth getting hurt to do so.

bfalfa55 - pre-register man... The car is cool and anyone with that screen name simply HAS to show up. White Tee shirt and cowboy hat man... Aint he cool ??

Have fun
    Be safe
    No whining

Cheers

16. I would not beat on a stock flywheel if its CAST iron! If its a NODULAR iron unit like the 15 lb. L88/HP unit, then you are much safer. Personally, I wouldn't beat on any stick car without a scatter shield

17. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Nope Saxxon, wasn't going down the WHINING road, just wanted to make sure it was understood I just wanted to be informed. Like Panneton said, I don't beat on it just for the reason of no scatter shield and a 70's era cast flywheel. My dad has some pics from Indy 1960 where a flywheel explosion in a guys 56 Chevy killed him, blew a perfect flywheel sized hole through the dash and put the center of the dash close to the roof line of the car ! Many people don't realize the bomb next to their feet. I like my feet and legs, it makes driving easier ! I have a Lakewood 55-57 specific shield and was going to install it when my 265 was done but I may just do it anyway. If nothing else, at least blanket the factory 55 bell housing and still not beat on it hard.Still want to know if 200S wheels meet the criteria ? Did they come out in the mid or late 60's ? I know that the Hart Automotive Willy's ran them on the rear but I don't know what time frame they were used.

18. having worked on a ambulance for many years i can tell everyone the injuries that occured due to car accidents most often could have been prevented. wearing a stock lap belt with no shoulder harness is just asking to smash your teeth out on the steering wheel or worse. not having a anti submarine belt ( the belt going between the legs to the floor) is there to keep you from sliding under the belt on impact. if you can't afford a new harness buy a out dated one. send it back to the maker and have it rewebbed its cheaper they just reuse your hard ware. if you are not sure if your car is safe check with the chassis builders around your area. several times a year through out your area chassis inspections are done by the nhra. they can sonic test your cage and inspect welds. they can also give you a over all opinion if they feel it is or is not safe and why. this is very important on older cars that may have a cage that is too thin. if you are putting in a new cage or adding on use d.o.m. tubing its military spec so it has a minimum thickness spec to it. a little more expensive that electric weld pipe but worth it. don't forget you drive shaft loop and c-clip eliminators and battery cut out switch. over flow catch tanks for the radiator have to be in place. these few safety things are the reason for most cars not passing tech.

19. i don't know if the stock parts are legal. i do know the better parts are cheaper than a prosthetic leg or two not to mention preventing serious damage to the car . a word to the wise should be sufficient here. for any one not sure on rules if you don't already have a rule book nhra has the rules online. they also have a number to call for additional info. since most of the cars here are not class legal cars follow the general safety rules that should allow you to have a safe car with no tech hassles.

20. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

I have a good relationship with the track coordinator from the track I worked at, so getting a quality safety check will be no problem. I have modern shoulder harness belts for my car. Even the rear seat belts are shoulder harness belts. Not that I will have passengers back there on the track but they are there. Haven't installed my drive shaft loop yet. I actually want to install a second one mid way also to keep the drive shaft from crashing of the track if I break a u joint or yoke on the rearend.

21. the loop if just one is used should be close to the trans. the idea being it won't pogo stick the car in the air. if a joint breaks the shaft is usually junk. even a few thousandths off and there will be noticeable runnout and vibration. upgrading your yokes with larger u-joints never hurts. extra money spent here will save you the cash from having redo it later. no one ever has the money to build it right the first time but they always find it for the second time. it took me a while to realize this. lessons learner the hard way.

22. DH9185

DH9185

TH350's were not equipped with reverse lockout I don't think, at least mine doesn't have it. Lokar makes one for it but I can't fit it without removing one of my tranny shield attaching bars and doing some cutting/grinding on it to gain the proper clearance. My series 60 B&M shifter housing is notched to prevent shifting from 3 to R but I imagine the inspectors will require the lockout device. Rules also state that a trunk mounted battery (in addition to other battery requirements) must be separated from drivers compartment by a sealed aluminum rear firewall. I can't make this happen right now because of the size/location of my tank and the fact that my battery is located in the space between the tank and the drivers compartment (no other place to put it and still be able to bolt it through the floor). The forward part of this compartment can't easily be fabbed in with aluminum and sealed because of the crossing cage bars there. It is in a legal vented box and attached above the axle with six bolts through the floor, and also sits directly behind the cage cross brace. With a 10-point cage and all else in compliance it's probably one of the safest 12's cars out there but looks like I'll have to figure out some things and spend some money on tinwork and all else before it will pass a full-blown NHRA inspection. (Hey... I think I'm whining). :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. 62Furious

62Furious

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Buy all means safty first. Now dont take this wrong but how many of you guys have hammered the guts out of a car without the proper shafty equipment back in the days when we were younger and smarter.(or we thought)

25. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Daisy Spoke wheels similar/same to the style in two lane Blacktop are 100% acceptable. I believe they came out in the late 60's and frankly, even if they didn't, they fit the event.

Not being a NHRA inspector - some tips to consider when checking over your car...keep this in mind....Saxxon is 100% correct!!!! This is NOT a race...some guys will be racing for blood with each other...but most guys are coming out to have fun and step back in time. You can always buy a used scattershield and a billet or forged flywheel is not terrible expensive...to someone's point it is in fact a bomb next to your feet....can the bellhousing contain it? The cast iron bellhousing is far better than an aluminium bellhousing....that is plain terrifying. But being that your car does not run into the 9-10 second range, a used scattershield should more than suffice.
    BUT I would definitely run a billet flywheel...not a cast one.
    Remember guys, the track is not overly critical, BUT this year we will have an additional safety inspector at tech to ensure there are dual carb return springs, bolts have 2-3 threads past the nuts on critical front end parts etc., and there are no obvious scary safety issues, battery related or fuel related......remember your racing a bomb, electricity and explosive gasoline inside it at high speeds, at the end of the day.

Secure metal fuel lines every 8 inches, use as little rubber fuel line as possible and ensure it is NOT cracked. Battery cables through trunk floor etc...HAVE RUBBER GROMMETS or nylon hole sizer material so cable cannot arc weld when rubber on cables wears thru...and it will. The rubber on the battery cables is NOT meant to act as a grommet.

Secure your battery SOLIDLY to the floor or through the floor into the frame, there are battery boxes that are a sealed box or make one out of aluminium or steel...your battery should not come lose if the car was in an accident, NO SHEET METAL screws holding it in. IT will act like a giant mace or hammer swinging around should the car roll over...
    The NHRA rules encompass every possibility and at times they are confusing....just think safe and secure, always lock washers, extra fender washers, tie downs, DUAL CARB return springs, and GROMMETS, common sense. DOUBLE check your car over prior to the event to ensure something is not about to let go.
    Some awesome cars attending and no one wants to smash into someone else's car because they only used a single carb return spring and it broke. Be safe and think of the other guy and people around....in the pits.

26. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Pre-Registration update -
    We are over 260 today....

Pre-Register, if you cannot attend, LET US KNOW....we realize family issues and or funding can prevent attendance or cars getting done...no hard feelings just let us know so we can give the spot to someone else!!!

27. Back in the early 80's when the revers lockout rule came into effect, there were plenty of cars, including mine that had B&M Series 60 shifters, most mounte some sort of "Gate Latch" on the top of the shifter, and it passed tech at the time.

28. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I never would have thought that there would ever have been a cap on entries. The first year I went about a 100 cars sat around in the rain most of the day just hoping to make a pass. Man has this animal grown.

Meltdown Drags July 18-20 2014

29. I would like to comment on this is not a race. Or just have fun and idle your car down the track. When the racers are in their fire suits on a hot july day with sweat running down their faces the last thing you want is a car idling down the track. If alot of cars were to do this the action on track would suck. How about a designated time for these cars to do a parade lap. The cars could go down track nose to tail all at once. The fans could see them running and driving with very little disruption to the races. If this is not a race why is it held at a race track. I get it you want everyone to have fun. If guys are going to tow in from long distances they should not be left waiting for non race cars using up track time. Or let them go up and down the return road.

30. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

This is my third year coming to the Meltdown Drags and I don't remember anybody just idling down the track?? I don't want to see a parade on the track or return road, I can go to the Woodward Cruise in August for that, I want to see the guys running there cars from the 9 second range to the 16 second range having a great time and that's what I have seen in years past. I will tow 400 miles one way to this event to have a great time and hang out with people who have the same interest.

Jon