Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radiator Hose Lubricant?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Feb 8, 2014.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Any recommendations on something to apply to radiator hoses to aide later removal?

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a good question. I have tried several things, and nothing worked.

3. powrshftr

powrshftr

I always put a dab of waterless hand cleaner onto the fitting,and some inside the hose,to "slick it up",and make them slide together real easy,but I don't know how much help it is when they need to come apart....maybe lightly coat the inside of the hose with anti-seize..?

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

4. Good question,I have used all sorts of lubricates to aide in installation of the radiator hoses but when it's time to pull a hose they have never helped.

As the engine goes through all the heating and cooling cycles the hoses over a period of time start to soften and harden with age and corrosion.

Like all rubber it has a limited lifetime. HRP

5. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

6. uncle buck

uncle buck

possibly silicone spray lube or sil-glyde ?

7. Get yourself some of these tools, all you do when you want to remove the radiator hose is slide the point between the hose and the outlet and work your way around then twist the hose and it should come off fairly easily. Its the best way I've round to do it, IMO anything you put on the hose to help it slide off adds to likelihood of it bursting off under pressure. Better to have a good seal than to have it burst off and cook your engine.

[​IMG]

they can also be made fairly easily by putting a point on an old screwdriver and bending it to the desired shape.

8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

KY jelly. Fun for you, fun for the hoes! :D

9. "IMO anything you put on the hose to help it slide off adds to likelihood of it bursting off under pressure. Better to have a good seal than to have it burst off and cook your engine."

I agree, I had this happen while tuning the Austin which has an open engine compartment. Burnt my son who was using the timing light. Not serious but scared the hell out of me.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  10. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

I would try what the Germans call veinerschlieder. Most people refer to it as Vaseline.

11. Scumdog

Scumdog

Being oil-based it's probably not the best on rubber items.

Well it wrecks condoms...jus' sayin'

12. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

13. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

This. If the hose has been on so long as to not come off easily cut it off and replace it. You don't want it blowing off going down the road.

14. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Probably going to sound retarded, but an old tech taught me to use Permatex aviation form-a-gasket, on water hoses. Just a little swipe in the outlet, and hose. They are easier to install, remove, and it also helps to prevent corrosion on aluminum.

Granted there have been times, when the bottle was still pretty fresh, and the liquid not as thick. I could get the hose to shift a little after being tight, but the heat helps it further dry, once you get the engine fired up.

After many many years of doing so, I have never had a hose slip off from it.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ck=Search_N2362_1502085_-1&pt=N2362&ppt=C1984

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  15. slowmotion

slowmotion

Those hooks Fuzzybear suggested are the ticket. Once the seal is broken, a little twist & they're off. If a hose is older, or deteriorated in any way, then Sadowski has the answer. FWIW, if a hose is in good shape & installed properly I've never seen one just 'blow off'. If that happens, there's a reason.

16. Yes there's a reason. Its usually a mismatch in hose size to bib.
    Like a 2" hose on a 1-3/4 bib, or 3/4" heater hose on the 5/8" bib.
    Modified or corroded barbs or beads on the end of the hoses. Another one is trimming a used hose back a bit and then putting it back on using the stretched part on the bib.

Then there's the other way that causes trouble, frustration, maybe broken parts- forcing a smaller hose onto a +size bib. Shoving the 5/8 hose onto the 3/4 bib of the heater core is going to cost you something.

When I'm mocking stuff up, I use a petroleum free grease. The hoses may come on and off 10 or more times and it just makes it easier to slip them on and off.

Few years go, in the dead of winter, my buddy blew a heater hose.
    He couldn't get them on to save his life.
    Shoved the ends of the hose into the tail pipe of my truck to warm them up.
    Slipped right on.

17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Mine is an unpressurized system (flathead Ford) so not much chance of a hose blowing off. Also four hoses to deal with, and doing a lot of testing and changes means removing them somewhat often. Even after just a few heat cycles the hoses, which slide right back on once they are off, are a real bear to free up. And no I don't want to cut them off and replace them every time. I can use the picks on the top hoses but there is no way to get at the bottom ones.

Permatex, that sounds scary. Someone try it and get back to me. :) What about water soluble oil, like water pump lube?

Thanks for the replies.

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

Duck Butter works for me.

19. Special Ed

Special Ed

McKay's assembly lube. Difficult to find, but the shit works as intended.

20. Bigplum

Bigplum

Perhaps a squirt with a furniture spray polish?
    Most of them have silicon in them.

21. I use light smear of anti-seize compound

22. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Geeez....I feel dumb, it never occured to me to use a lubricant or even a sealer. Never had one pop off either, even if there was a slight mismatch. I slide a small screwdriver in there and twist, not a big deal.

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's not a "dumb" thing. It's putting waaay too much thought into something that's simple or not even a thought to the average person. This place is truly amazing.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  24. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

This stuff sound like something you would send the new young guy out to try and get some,and while he is there tell him to get a can of compression and a water pump for a 74 super beetle.

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I suppose if I had a SBC in a T-bucket I'd feel the same way. The world is easy for you.

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Would that make the hose easier to get off? My world isn't that easy. Fortunately, getting a hose off a fitting doesn't require too much effort. Just living good, I guess.

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Absolutely. Try 4 hoses in a small engine compartment with full fenders, 2 foot screwdriver to get to the clamps. Yes, it can be done with effort, just trying to make life easier with all the testing and changes I'm making.

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yes several solutions have been presented already by others actually willing to contribute rather than troll. Please take your sarcasm somewhere else.

30. earlymopar

earlymopar

The same lube that you use on urethane suspension bushings. It's a lubricant but has incredible adhesion properties.

- EM
    <input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden">