Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The "Red Ryder"...my new '48 F1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugsy, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

So...I have been on the prowl for another hauler/tow vehicle/shop truck for a while now. I've had a few, vintage trucks over the years and just have a thing for them. A few years ago, I sold a nice little '46 F1 and have missed it ever since. I put the feelers out and my buddy, Chris (2muchstuff) came across a good deal on a '48 F1. He and I have done a lot of business together in the past so we struck up a good trade and I'm back in the game!! He even through in a T-5 tranny and adapter plate and some extra doors and hood!!

She has had a lot of work done already and just needs finished out a bit to be back on the road. Totally rebuilt 239 flattie, brakes, recovered seat and dual exhaust with Smithys. The truck had the work done and then sat a long while. You can see that the guy built a tow bar for it as he was planning on towing it behind his RV!! He also was planning on using it as a push truck and was building the push pad for the front bumper too.

I went out to Chris's to load her and some extra parts up and some other pals showed up to help out!! Blacktopbudah (Bill) and Cactus 1 (Mike). We had to put the front end back on it and rolled it up on the trailer. I bucked a 35 mph headwind the entire way home but is was so worth it!! Needless to say...I'm stoked to have vintage hauler for my roadster again!

More to come......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. boutlaw

boutlaw

Great start, truck looks outstanding, wouldn't trade my flattie 52 dailey for anything. I wish mine had looked that good when I got it, I'm jeolous. Tires look new. Love the mini gas tank....Good luck, subscribed..............

3. Lookin' good Turbo! Goddam it was windy that day!

4. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks, man! Yeah, the tires are pretty new which is a huge bonus! We had that little tank on there to fire it off and man...the flattie runs smooth...

5. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

HAHAHAHA!!! Yes it was!!! You can see what's left of Chris's hair flapping in the breeze in the shot of him loading stuff into the back of my truck. It was a wild ride home!! I appreciate the help that day for sure...Here's the "Turbo" shot that was on the extra hood! This cracks me up and wonder what the story behind it is. Now I have to decide if I want to run the stock hood or if I want the truck to have TURBO!! :D

[​IMG]

6. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

After I got the truck home and in the shop, I rebuilt the fuel pump, yanked out the tank to flush it and blew out the fuel line. The tank is super solid and was pretty clean. Just had a couple of gallons of nasty, ancient gas. I threw in a new battery and need to figure out an ignition switch. I also yanked out the seat and needed to make up some patch panels for two spots in the floor where the front mounting bolts for the seat go. The spots had rusted / broken out over the years and someone had just welded angle iron "extensions" on to the frame feet to go past the bad spots in the floor and lag into it with self tappers!!

Typical rat's nest under the dash.....
    [​IMG]

Real rat's nest behind the tank!!
    [​IMG]

Holes in the floor that need patching...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made up some patches that I will weld in. I'm going to weld a nut behind them so I can reattach the seat frame to the floor the way it's supposed to be.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Found this cool plate topper when I pulled the tank out!! I think it's from 1951...
    [​IMG]

7. olskool34

olskool34

Awesome pickup there bugs! I had a '50 a long time ago and it was a great little truck. Hope you are leaving that paint alone because it looks perfect. This is going to be a very nice tow rig for the roadster. Good for you man!

8. Great looking truck,keep the updates coming. HRP

9. That topper is cool!

10. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks, Man! I'm really excited about it. I've ordered some small parts that I need right now and have a list of stuff that has to wait until funds allow. I hope to have it driving by the end of the month.

Thanks, Danny! Will do!!

Thanks!:D

Mike...it's always fun to find stuf like that when you're digging into a new/old ride! I usually just find mouse shit and sunflower seeds....:D

11. NoSurf

NoSurf

Well HECK YEAH.

Sorry I couldn't make it over for the loading fun.

She's a beaut Clark!!!!

12. Looking forward to this one!

13. ...that's an AWFUL ...nice lookin Ford, you found a dandy for sure. They're gettin hard to find in that condition. Good luck with it.
    Here's a shot of my 48 built from several different trucks, I really like drivin this truck; have'nt had it out for awhile due to this real crappy weather we're havin here in northern Illinois. Can't wait for some good weather/roads.
    [​IMG]

14. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks, Bro!! I've been keeping you updated with it so I figured i would do a thread on it too....Wish you could have made it that day too...it was a cold and windy SOB!!!:D

I'm chomping at the bit to get it on the road!!

Rusty....I'm pumped to have found it too! Actually that my buddy found it and gave me a shot at getting it from him! I've seen your F1 before and I love it!! Great stance! This one will get dropped some eventually.

15. LostHope

LostHope

Awesome bugsy got him self there a pickem up truck! Im diggin it! cant wait to see what you have in store for it. :D

16. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dammit. This is probably exactly what I needed to see. Not sure I can bring myself to sell mine now.

FWIW - I can send you some in progress pictures of my channeled cab, "Z"ed frame and resulting engine mount and steering box relocation efforts. You know, just so you're aware of the absolute slowest way to get yours back on the road! :D

Great looking truck.

17. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Kevin...Just get it back on the road already and save yourself the anguish!!! We talked about you and yours while loading this one up and we all agreed that you just need to get it together and run it!! I always loved your truck too and would like to see the pics of what you did to it to get it to sit like that.

Sorry bro...I knew this would hurt a bit!:D Now get to crackin' on yours already!!!!!!

18. That's a great truck. I love those
    f-1 s.

19. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks, Man!! Your '50 is BADASS!!!!!!!!!:D

20. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Well...I stayed out of the shop the last, few days because of the crap weather and single digit temps. It drives me nuts because I want to get this F1 on the road and have a fair amount to do to it yet. So when I looked out at the shop today and saw this crap...
    [​IMG]

I was determined to get something done, even if it was small. Actually, with the insulated coveralls on, it's not too bad. Besides....it was a heat wave today!!!!
    [​IMG]

And.....anti-freeze comes in handy too!
    [​IMG]

I wanted to clean up the front feet of the seat frame where they attach to the floor and where someone glob welded some angle iron to them to reach past the bad spots on the floor that I'm patching in. This is what they looked like....Nice....
    [​IMG]

After some clean up with the the torch and grinder, they looked like this again!
    [​IMG]

I did some other little stuff but after this and scooping a foot of snow from the back drive of the shop, I had all of the outdoor fun I wanted for the day!!

I did have another little find that popped out of the seat today! It got thrown into the 12ga. bucket!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  21. Great project, love the 48-50 F-1's. A T-5 behind a flatty in those makes a great driver.

22. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Looks like a great start. Hard to find them that solid around here anymore.

23. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

I can't wait to get the T5 in it. I can't imagine what it'll be like not topping out at 50mph for a change!!

Thanks! I LOVE your 52 4x4. What a cool build and versitile truck. Have you guys camped out of it lately? Didn't you and your family do some cold weather camping in it one time after you got it going? seems I remember reading that one time.

24. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Thanks. Yeah it gets used a lot. The last time we camped was oct. got way too cold after that for the little ones.

I have put 5 years of hard use on that truck and nearly 100,000 miles and it keeps on going.

25. Nice truck Bugsy!

26. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks, Nate!! I was trying to get it ready for the journey out to Jay's for the HAMB BQ but I don't think I want to run it all the way to New Hampshire now!!! :D

27. Only good things will happen to this truck in your hands.
    Can't wait for the picture of it pulling The Dust Bowl Special.

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Green with envy over here! Dang man!

And I told Bill that I think we should still have the BBQ at the farm. What a great house warming party for the new owners! Lol

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

I really appreciate that and I sure hope so!! I can't wait to have it all rigged up and pulling down the road too! That's the plan!!

Tim....if it's empty...better yet! I'm sure Jay wouldn't mind and will just leave the key under the mat for us! :D