Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Willys PU build....from sedan panels.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kiwi Kev, Apr 22, 2012.

1. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Steve,
    Bought it from the Karmann Konnection in Southend, on the receipt it says CAL LK 58-64, their stock ref no. is 111845121B, it was just under £20 inc vat.
    I had to cut it down by about 2".

Ray

2. Ooh ooh ooh.....

3. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Bit more progress, decided to fit the small Eelco clone tank I saved from the Fiat comp coupe, it's a bit on the small side but will hold plenty for a couple of trips down the 1/4 mile and will weigh a lot less than the 12 gallon fuel cell.
    I think it suits the look of the truck too.
    Finished plumbing the fuel system as well so thats another job off the list.

I've been pondering what to do for a line lock switch and usually put a push button on the steering wheel but didn't want any cables hanging around, the obvious choice was the shifter but I didn't want to change the Hurst quarter stick shift knob so I marked where my thumb would go and drilled and counterbored it out then put a small hole in the base for the wires to come through, didn't cost a thing as I already had the switch and Ive retained the original look too.
    Ray

Attached Files:

4. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Ray, useful bit of info

5. Eastern raider

Eastern raider
    from England

I've been pondering what to do for a line lock switch and usually put a push button on the steering wheel but didn't want any cables hanging around, the obvious choice was the shifter but I didn't want to change the Hurst quarter stick shift knob so I marked where my thumb would go and drilled and counterbored it out then put a small hole in the base for the wires to come through, didn't cost a thing as I already had the switch and Ive retained the original look too.
    Ray[/QUOTE]

Yes please. When do i drop mine off?

6. ChefMike

ChefMike

you do great work and make it look easy which I know it's not ! I will be checking back on the progress

7. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Yes please. When do i drop mine off?[/QUOTE]

Did you know I've moved???

8. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thanks, but Kev was the creator, I'm just finishing it off.

9. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Work has been getting in the way of the truck lately but managed to finish up a lot of odds and ends.
    Decided to relocate the battery inside the cab after consulting the rule book and finding out it was perfectly legal to do so, this tidies up the pickup bed as I don't want to run a tonneau cover, not the best for weight distribution but will compensate for that by adding a weight bar at a later date.
    Finished off all the wiring that I'm going to need at this stage including neutral safety switch and line lock and all the gauges now work too :D
    I fitted an ignition light and three switches, one for the rad fan and one for the fuel pump, the third one will be used for an electric water pump if I decide to run one in the future.
    Had to fit a different oil cooler as the old one sprung a leak:(.
    Got all the brakes bled and made up a pedal cover from aluminum to match the Offy gas pedal.
    Also made a gas pedal linkage from 3/16" stainless steel rod with rod ends each end for smooth operation, I prefer rod linkages to cable as I think they look a lot neater and have a more positive feel.
    Once all that was done I rolled the truck outside to fire her up for the first time, flicked the fuel pump switch pumped the throttle a couple of times and she started almost immediately and sounded pretty awesome (woke the neighbours up a treat):D.
    Every blip of the gas pedal gave the truck a nice rock......:)
    Can't believe I've waited almost 9 months to get her started.
    Great oil pressure and not a sign of smoke, looks like Kev did me proud on the motor.
    I need to change the urethane bushing on the ladder bars for rod ends before we go to the track.
    But before that the next step is to take a little test run up the road and back, that should be fun.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  10. racer756

racer756

Great thread Kiwi Kev is a true ruler!

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Looking good Ray

12. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

13. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

Always a great moment when an engine fires for the first time without problems. :)

14. neds29

neds29

Could I suggest "Stone-Woods-Cook"? My personal favorite Willys dragster. Sorry, I'm an interloper here; this is a great thread. Ned

15. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thanks Steve, not long now :D

16. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thank you, it's been fun finishing off Kevs vision.

17. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Mine too but I need to give this truck it's own identity, still undecided on a name but have a few ideas.

18. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Also spurs you on to finish the build and get out there on the track :)

19. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Scrap Yard.jpg P1050422.JPG P1050424.JPG P1050427.JPG I reckon I'm about 3 or 4 weeks away from testing with the Truck and am starting to finish things up.
    As I'm only racing the Truck and not street driving I decided to swap the urethane bushes for rod ends and had to make some stainless steel spacers to make up the difference in width.
    Also made an alternator adjustment bracket, as the motors solid mounted there will be no movement between the motor and chassis so that was welded directly to the chassis rail.
    Fitted my new Simpson harness and a kill switch to keep the tech guys happy.
    Then the truck was taken over to good friend Chris Isaacs chassis shop for baselining and setting up on corner weights.
    Final weight is now 2650lbs including driver but thats without the front fibreglass panels so it should come in around 2700lbs total.
    On the way home I took the opportunity to stop and take a photo outside an old scrapyard that has a Ford Prefect up in the air as an advertisment, the owner came out and thought I might be dropping the truck off there :eek:
    Some people just don't get it I'm afraid.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
    SicSpeed likes this.
  20. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

just wondering, if this is a strip only pickup, why would you not run a mag to power the ignition, and do away with the weight and drag of the battery and alternator ?

21. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Good question, I ran my last truck without an alternator and found with an electric fan and water pump the battery was drained pretty quickly so had to keep firing up the generator to charge the battery between runs and wanted to keep this to a minimum with this truck, just want to jump in and drive it.
    I've got a mag that I may fit at a later date but will still need the battery for starting so won't lose much weight by ditching the alternator.

22. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

good point,
    its a beautiful pickup, and i like the extra work your putting in it,
    thanks for posting your updates..
    cheers

23. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Looking around in the garage for something to use as a rad catch can:confused:
    Then something obvious jumped out at me:D

Attached Files:

hotrodtodd1960 and SicSpeed like this.
  24. 33HEMI

33HEMI

Ray the trucks looking great mate hope to see it soon.
    Paul.

25. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Thanks Paul, will probably see you at the Nostalgia Nats in June.

26. 9sectruck

9sectruck

I was hoping to take the truck to the track this weekend for it's maiden outing but have run out of time as theres still a few things to finish up, will definitely be ready for the next opportunity in a couple of weeks.
    I wanted to make a rear weight bar and was looking around for a suitable piece of tubing and found that the piece of driveshaft that Kevin sent over with the truck was just the right width so I made a couple of end caps and mounting brackets from pieces I had laying around sprayed it flat silver (no shiny bits on this truck lol) and bolted it through the rear frame rails, total cost $0
    Finished it off with my Byron Stack Gasser Madness Memorial Decal
    I've got a bin full of lead offcuts that I'll add at a later date as necessary to help with some wheels up launches.
    Then rolled her outside for a couple of pics.
    Next update will hopefully be test n tune :))
    BTW have completely run out of Rustoleum primer if anyone would like to get some for me and ship to the UK, will pay up front for all costs etc.
    P1050568 (1080 x 810).jpg P1050565 (1080 x 810).jpg P1050566 (1080 x 810).jpg View attachment 2623440 View attachment 2623438 View attachment 2623437

Last edited: May 22, 2014
    exterminator likes this.
  27. racer_dave

racer_dave

Killer job to both you and Kev. What a great build

28. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I like just about everything about that truck, good luck tune'n it in!

29. belair

belair

That truck has great bones. KK is amazing, and you have done a great job. Looks killer.

30. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

I just read this from start to finish...... Kevin, you did amazing work on this truck and I commend you. Greay job! Ray, congrats on a rare cool truck. I like all the things you've added to it and wish you the best of luck on your passes with it! The weight bracket/bumper turned out great too!