Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36-taildragger.....Made in Sweden

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Kenneth31coupe, Mar 17, 2013.

1. tbauer

tbauer

Beautiful work. You sure make it look easy, but we all know that it is not.

2. Thanks attitudor.

Thanks Eric.Have you got your door buttons installed and working?

Thanks.
    Thanks Chris.

Thanks Patrick. I send you a pm

Thank you.

Thanks.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. So I brought the car over to a friends house last Sunday and got the new steel insert done.Got it installed today.First I cut the insert to the right size and trimed the edges then I clamped it in place on the roof.It´s about 3/4" bigger than the hole all around.Then I drilled and screwed the insert thru the roof so it was properly secured to the roof.Also made this small tabs out off sheet and driiled and screwed them aswell.Then I scribed along the perimeter off the insert and unscrewed it and lifted it off again. Then I cut and trimed the roof along the scribed line.
    [​IMG]

Here I have the insert reinstalled but now it lays flush with the roof.Then I started to tackweld it all around first with about 4 inches between the tacks all around and then with 1 inch between.
    [​IMG]

When I made the insert I made it whit slightly more crowning than stock just to ensure it wouldnt look to flat now when the roof is split and lengthend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Wow,that looks really great.You really know what you are doing,keep up the good work!

5. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Wow. It looks fantastic.

6. Looks great Kenneth! Do you use any rod (mig wire?)when your are tacking the insert in or just the torch?

7. Naah,wouldn´t say that.Sometimes it turns out well and sometimes........:mad::confused:

Thanks coop

Thank you Ian. I use some migwire ( 0.8mm) and have it ready but most of the time the edges just melts together and the wire is not needed.

8. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

What made you decide to fill the roof first, instead of waiting until the chop is done?

Now you're going to have at least two more seams to weld and finish through that beautiful new panel.

9. chrisman

chrisman

This is such an inspiring thread, I have been following it since the beginning. Thank you, Kenneth, and god fortsättning! :)

10. Not sure if I follow you here.:confused: The chop is done and I will not cut up the roof again;)

Thanks for the kind words and I´m glad it inspires you.

11. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Very tidy work again Kenneth, your'e making it look easy.

The coupe is coming on at a good rate of knots now.

Paul.

12. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

looking good kenneth!!!

13. What a great thread! Amazing work... Great taste in your stylizing as well.

14. Thanks Paul. Things will slow down a bit now due to some other things need to be done.

Thanks Nate

Thank you very much.

15. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

YES! here's my opportunity to catch up! just kidding kenneth looking forward to seeing the next rounds, your posts have been keeping me inspired to keep going even if it is just an hour or 2 a week,thanks man.

16. Still here live and well but extremly busy working on some other stuff.Have been chopping a 32 Tudor for a guy I know this last month and still have some rust repair to do on it and soon I will pack up all my stuff and move to a new house with a lot bigger garage so the 36 will have to wait for a while.To bad know when things were coming together but when I´m settled in the new place everything will be a lot better.So Nate you will have a good chance to catch up on me now:)
    Here´s a pic of the Tudor I´m doing.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  17. sled

sled

Killer work you're doing there Kenneth,love the 32 chop too...I got one myself here in Mexico City wich I'm very impatient to chop it too ...they are very cool when done right ..keep it up amigo

18. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Great work on the tudor Kenneth. Looks spot on in the picture taken outside.

Good luck with the move to the new house mate, you won't regret that. We moved to our house 3 years ago and it had quite a large garden (just over 1/3 acre) and some good out buildings. It has enabled me to work on the cars easier, get and complete (well complete for now) my dream car the zephyr, and give up my job and set up on my own working from home restoring classics and some fabrication work.
    Best thing we ever did.

Paul.

19. Thanks Reno.You´re right, when done right they can be very cool and the guy who owns this one have a good eye off of what´s right so I´ll bet it will be really good looking when it´s done.

Hey Paul.Thanks for the feedback.You know my plan with the new house is exactly what you have done.Glad to hear it turned out so well for you and I hope I can get things rolling here too.

20. Nice to see you are staying busy Kenneth. 32 looks awesome nice flow to the top. Good luck on the move and hope to see you back on the 36 soon.

21. telekenfun

telekenfun

Kenneth, Congratulations on your moving up to a bigger home and shop. In my case I wish I had less home and more shop. The definition of a small shop is my shop or any one that is smaller. It certainly hampers productivity in my case,but you seem to be doing quite well where you are. You have done a very nice chop on this 32 as well as your 36. The proportions of window to body are perfect for a 32 Tudor. Is that a 3"or 4" inch chop, those where my first guesses. Whatever it was, anymore would only be good on a slammed coupe. It appears from your last photo that you have already repainted the cowl and "A" pillars unless you hadn't done any welding yet in that picture. Were you taking a stand back look before you started welding? I made the mistake of not doing so and had to redo my chop after seeing it from a distance.Just a word of advice to the first time choppers. Hope you have an easy move, label all the boxes.
    Best regards and Good Luck with all your endeavors, KB.

22. Thanks Kipp.I don´t have any problems killing time thats for sure.Wish there were more hours per day.

Thanks KB.Actually I have taken 3" in rear and 3 1/2" in front and leaned the a-pillars backwards.On the outside pic the roof is laying loose, it´s only a mock-up stadium to look at it from a distance before welding it back.Just as you mentioned it´s really important to get a good look from a distance and I allways takes a lot off photos from every angle and load up on the computer and looks on them on there aswell. I don´t now why but I experience I get another perspective when looking at a photo.

23. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

Kenneth you should move 1/2 hour west...we need a good body shop over here!!

spot on with that 32..
    -palle

24. That would´ve been something Palle with all that good tasting danish beer and "gammeldansk" I´ll bet there would´nt been much done in the shop:D

25. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

but we would have lots of fun haha..

26. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

ok kenneth, i'll try :) . post some pics of the new digs when you're settled in!

27. farmer12

farmer12

Nice chop Kenneth. Hope you're back on the 36 soon!

28. No doubt about that;)

After some clean up and when the cars are installed I´ll take some pics for you.

Thanks farmer12. I hate to put it on hold but I´ll be back as soon as I can.

29. Picked up my new hood sides last weekend.I made them about 2 years ago and handled them over to a guy I know to punch some louvers in them.Think he made a great job and now I can hardly wait to get back on it and mock up the front.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. navyboy

navyboy

Looking really good.