Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "After Hours Coupe" Model AV8 build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 100% Matt, Jan 29, 2014.

1. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Ok minor setback, the gentleman we purchased the 39 parts from apparently decided he wants everything back....... It was a unanimous decision to get our money back and give him his parts back. He's been a good friend and customer of the shop, no sense in messing that up over car parts.

Though it set us back a bit, I'm not too concerned with obtaining the now needed parts. We have a decent amount of resources and I'm sure we will make up for this shortly. Honestly one of my favorite parts of this build is hunting down the correct parts.

2. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

great looking coupe! congrats Matt

3. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

Traditional.....39 type trans and banjo rear end. As close to straight bolt-up as you can get. If you want better highway speeds, put the 3.54 gears in the rear end. The LZ gears in the trans won't affect your top end (3rd gear is 1:1) but gives you a higher 1st and 2nd gear. Probably not an ideal combination on a heavier car, but would work well on a light car like the Model A. If you lost the 39 trans on the sell-back, we could build one for you.

4. There's a couple 39 top loaders on the Hartford Craigslist. One is out of an F1 which obv is open drive. Also if you type in 1939 ford under auto parts, there's a dude selling wide fives, a rear end, and a top loader mated to a small block ford. All for cheap. I tried getting hold of the guy but no luck. If you're successful I'd be interested in the SBF and adapter

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I called on the guy with all the 39 stuff and SBF/39 trans and set up for this past Thursday to pick it all up. I called him Wednes to comfirm and he tells me he sold it all tues night! When I spoke to him Monday evening he said the soonest I could get there to get everything was Thurs! I was pretty pissed

6. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Sounds like it will be a cool ride

7. Wow that's fucked up. It looked like a 'too good to be true' ad. Happy hunting

8. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Todd from Vintage Glass got everything so at least it all went to a good home. In the meantime Josh was able to secure another 39 rear and gearbox and a complete juice brake set up. After my firehouse shift today I'm picking up an additional 39 front and rear just for good measure.

9. Sounds like you are on your way!

10. 392modela

392modela

Looks like a great start keep the updates coming

11. 100% Matt

100% Matt

So for the last 3 years the car basically sat and got shuffled around the shop. The car began to become more of a source of frustration for me than anything else. I continued to collect parts and formulate my build plan but nothing much else was really happening. One major change was deciding to go with a T5. I had a chance to drive a flathead/T5 powered coupe and was impressed with the drivability. In the mean time I bought a pretty nice 40 Tudor that was not so much of a project. Here's a few pix of some of parts acquired over this time

Scored these Offy heads on a sweet trade deal

[​IMG]
    Super stocked on this Pathfinder light
    [​IMG]
    Used my Hamb discount and bought my Flathead to T5 adapter from Cornhuskers Hot Rods.
    [​IMG]
    Shot the Wide 5's in black.
    [​IMG]
    I really dig 35/36 dashs. I scored this one for pretty short money
    [​IMG]
    I traded the stock frame to the local Model A guru in return for this Brookville frame at his dealer cost.
    [​IMG]

My pal Steve (Peters) picked up the engine, tore it down, cleaned it, painted it and reassembled the engine in about 3 days. He also did some machining to the T5 adapter to ensure a better fit. I cant thank Steve enough for the bang up job he did.
    [​IMG]

The 40!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  12. madfish

madfish

Something like this?

s-l1600.jpg

Jet96, Jeff34 and 100% Matt like this.
  13. 100% Matt

100% Matt

At the end of this past October I made a decision to no longer be a partner in New England Speed & Custom. It wasn't an easy decision to make but I have zero regrets over it. A huge amount of stress and worry was lifted from my shoulders. Getting my stuff relocated lit another fire under me to get this car back on track. Last winter myself and a few buddies did make a roller out of the frame. I struck a deal with a good friend and excellent fabricator and a few weeks ago we moved the car to his shop. My fabrication skills are slim to none. So Mike is handling majority of the fabrication with help from myself and our pal Brett

At NeSpeed some last winter mock up.
    [​IMG]
    Mocking in the motor and checking for clearances. I bought a new pulley set up from Ben Haag shortly after this to move the fan to the generator providing more space from firewall to front cross member.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Brett's FJ power parking at Mike's shop
    [​IMG]
    In Mike's shop. This was Friday afternoon. (By Saturday 12pm the motor was in the car)
    [​IMG]
    32 grill shelf mocked up with the radiator
    [​IMG]
    Prefit of the hood.
    [​IMG]
    Motor and trans mated to the car. Next up is suspension
    [​IMG]
    Mike's #northmaine34 and the Afterhours.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  14. 100% Matt

100% Matt

The original plan of a 39 trans was to be mated to the car via a modified F1 x-member and pedal assembly. I probably collected a total of 4 to 5 of these set-ups before I changed my mind about the trans choice. The change to the T5 called for making a trans mount. My plan was to make a mount that could be used in correlation with a stock Model A cross member. After some discussion amongst Mike, Brett and myself. Mike set out with a plan and fabricated the necessary parts for the job. An F1 pedal assembly will still handle the duty of both brake and clutch pedals

The plan for this car has always been to run an unsplit 32 wishbone upfront and 35/36 rear radius rods in the rear. I decided to make one significant change to this after being inspired by NathanXStewart's y-block powered coupe build thread. His use of a "johnny joint" on his rear radius rods I thought was a particularly genius idea. I followed his design and emulated the same radius rod set up utilizing the yoke from a 33/34 wishbone. Additionally I will be using a "Johnny Joint" on the un split 32 wishbone. Since I am already running a non traditional trans I'm not heartbroken about make these small alterations

Mike tigging up the trans cross member
    [​IMG]
    Trans cross member flanges that will be bolted to the frame
    [​IMG]
    Mike working on the 35/36 radius rods
    [​IMG]
    The "johnny joint" attached to the 33/34 yoke
    [​IMG]
    A gusset was added for extra strength
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017