Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Saxxon

Saxxon

Sooo... taking my volunteer duties seriously... I have time booked with my 17 yo niece to show me how to turn on a decent computer and how to edit and compile media. I'm actually looking forward to it... to be honest, I'm hoping to frustrate and exasperate her to the point where she "just does it herself"... at least that's the plan. She's done a couple of really decent vids of Pelissier Family racing so I'm encouraged.

I'm starting to capture some of the better shots being fired here as a value add to the media... Should be fun

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Are you talking about cheap shots on here?

3. powrshftr

powrshftr

If that's the case I better step up my shit-talking to those Southern Mammy-Rammers and their Uncle/Daddies!:D
    xoxo

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

The flywheel is aluminum, and the pressure range for the pressure plate is 2200 to 2800 pounds. I was told to start out with max pressure to brake in the clutch? This is all new to me.:confused:

5. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Saxxon-

You are an honorable man with your volunteerism. I will do my part to provide you with great material...I need to go load the gun because it is Falfa hunting season!

6. I had that same set up in ours, except the our hat has counter weight "ears" on the levers. We started out with 1130 lbs. base pressure and 18 grams total (6 grams per lever) of counter weight. This setup allows you to use a minimum of base to launch the car without blowing the tires off, then the counter weight and rpm augments/adds to the clamping force of the hat(pressure plate), going down the track. Ours had a pretty hard hit leaving at 6000 rpm, and hard to make the 1-2 shift (typical full syncro Nash) with 3.27 1st. I cut the counter weight by half, to 9 grams (3 per lever), about the same hit, but a little easier to shift. After a litte bit of track & street beating, the disc would slip a little, when you rolled the throttle on from low rpm. I put two turns in the hat. Still had to swap feet on the one-two shift, but could usually make 2-3-4 with out lifting off the throttle. We ran it that way until we took it apart to put it on "kill". Even with the clutch slippage, it only knocked about .010 off the disc. Going with a Jerico & McLeod Soft Lock now. Joel, I kinda think you'll be backing the hat down as the disc comes in, and that won't take long, that disc is pretty aggressive, but will take a beating (a Southern beating that is ��). As you get the clutch setup happy, and closer to "just enough" the trans will shift easier. I'll be bringing our old set up for a spare, and a non counter weighted hat just like yours with 1350 base. Joel, before you put the trans in, drill a hat adjustment hole in the bell housing, above the trans flange (you may have to drill/notch the flange too),so you can put an Allen wrench in there to adjust the hat without having to take the trans out every time, and this would all be way easier with a removable trans tunnel. Line the an adjuster up with your new hole, and mark the balancer, then line up the, next one, and mark the balancer, and so on. Then if you want to adjust the hat pressure, just line up the marks on the balancer, and the wrench is lined up to the adjuster. It'll be much quicker to make adjustments,AND DO NOT FORGET TO COUNT AS YOU GO!, so you don't end up with your turn #'s all over the place.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  7. altered59lark

altered59lark
    from cincinnati

Hey I have a question my buddy has a centerforce dual friction clutch and when he gets it up in the rpms itnstays on the floor. He put a stopper on it so it wouldn't get pushed to far but still did it. Any suggestions we haven't been around long enough to understand yet haha.

8. powrshftr

powrshftr

My buddy had the same issue with a center force in a Ford Cleveland/Toploader combination...

Scott

9. If you remove the "over center" spring, it will help, but high rpm shifting can be a problem witha diaphram pressure plate

10. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I'll see what I can do to offer up some Go Pro footage. My buddy Don is a storm chaser and has some decent equipment for this kind of stuff. We took a couple videos last year, one of them with the camera mounted to the ladder bar on my Henry J so we could see what the suspension does on a pass.

11. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Is anyone in need of some Go Pro mounts for fitting one to a roll bar? I need to make one for our cars, and while I'm at it, I could make a few more to hand out to you fellas.

12. Saxxon

Saxxon

Yes please... I'll get you the OD for the bar this weekend
    Actually I would take 2 and be very happy to pay you for your efforts

13. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Awesome. Let me know what the OD is. I was thinking I might be able to make a simple bracket with double hose clamps...? That way they would be more of a universal fit, and I could make a variety of mount configurations. I'm assuming some cars may be able to mount it to the cross bar where others might want to mount it to a vertical on the hoop.

14. Very funny all you cold weather clowns, you can end the seance now and take your voodoo dolls of me out of your freezers. I get it I get it, lets make it cold and rainy for Ric while he's at the drags in Pomona. I know "payback is an mf'r" Man you guys can't take a joke, just go blow a blizzard in on California, and smart mouth Panneton.

15. ..,I'm actually hiding out in a handicap "crapper" sending this from my phone!..,OH THE IRONY!

16. powrshftr

powrshftr

Probably my favorite quote yet.....lol!

17. You know the old saying, "you give sugar, you get sugar, you give crap..,well.., them, you get crap. Man this thread was dead all day, thought you guys had some kind of holiday, or your kids rioted, and took the key board away, or maybe you were burning your computers for warmth!

18. dblgun

dblgun

What's with this wet shit from the sky, Ric? Thermometer says 55 but with the wind it's got to be 50! Hope I can get home tonight...
    P.S. sugar melts but shit floats so I thinks it's safe:D
    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. I can feel my blood freezing, and I can taste my spleen! I think the end of the world is today
    How does Saxxon do it, where its 100 deg. colder

20. Sign me up fer one! Glad to pay you what you figger tis worth. I tink my seat bar is 1 5/8?Tanks! R~R

21. Twas a balmy -10 when I left for work this a.m. I'm just happy as a possum eatin crap I aint gotta toil outside these days.....

22. Saxxon

Saxxon

The love of a warm woman... !!

When she's not around - Lots of alcohol and words I can't say around children with impressionable minds

When all else fails I read this thread, get inspired - then I bundle up, hook up the dogs and go to the shop where I battle the cold by finding new and imaginative ways of setting myself on fire while working on the projects

Anyone hear the saying:
    Show me the most beautiful woman in the world and I'll show you a guy who is tired of her crap...

Show me a car guy who is still married and I'll show you a woman of infinite patience and understanding

23. You sir,are a gentleman with a scholar!?!?

24. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

^^^^^^^^^^
    this would make great signature :D

Oh and I saw you said you know BTR. (aka travolta.) I met him once
    at RT66 Dragway. I know (of) him because of Oldsmobiles .
    If he had a hand in that Olds engine you were telling me about
    I sure would like to have it. Few people know how to make'm run.

25. Great answer

26. Sooo true old son! Whats yer dogs names?

27. Saxxon

Saxxon

Dogs... as in Dog sled there son

I do have a great little Brussels Griffen named Cowboy though... nothing like 30 lbs of "total control of your life". Almost as bad a the kids I never had

When I do get to work pout of my own garage he loves being there with me... usually sleeping under the Scout

28. The engine I have is just a cheapo rebuild in a ski boat 455. Torker manifold, small hyd. cam. Bill has "man boobs, so we call it..,

Bologna
    Tits
    Racing

He is a very good engine guy/racer, and the best Olds guy, bar none.

29. 62Furious

62Furious

I'm with you on this one:cool:

30. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

This shows how new i am at this, i thought i had a pressure plate with the counterweights. Now you got me nervous.