Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Advice on starting a club

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordoors, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Fordoors

Fordoors

After a few months, there appears to be a lot of interest in starting a club in my 'hood. Having never starting one before, I'd appreciate any advice on best places to start. Feedback from anyone who's started a club is especially welcome.
    Many thanks!

Michael

2. Dont, would be my advice. Phx area has a few good clubs (and lots of shitty ones), find one you fit in with and try to join.

3. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

You may find a lot of interest till the work starts. Get ready for lots of drama.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I hang around with a car club, but my hot rod won't get me a membership. I'm actually grateful. It takes a LOT of commitment, if it's to be successful.

5. Midget25

Midget25

If you do start a club make sure you are the first one in. Cause went you get new members in a car club you gotta "TIE'EM TO THE CAR AND DRAG EM"

6. How true Fred, There are several clubs locally and Tri-City Rod & Custom is the oldest club in the state of South Carolina,the club was established in 1972.

If you are a member of a club you will find out quickly members will come and go and it is a commitment.

When you put on a show or a cruise-in you will find out quickly who is willing to buckle down and do the work that is involved and the guys that don't intend to help or hold a office.

Some of my best friends have been established with my association with the club but it is not for everybody. HRP

7. bgaro

bgaro

you don't need a cool name and a plaque to hang with your bros.

8. ^^This x2^^

9. oldolds

oldolds

I was in a car club once. We had no rules except you had to drive a car to the show. Day of show we met for breakfast, drove in a pack to the show. It looked impressive 12- 25 cars pulling up to the show at the same time. When we left the show most would go to the same place for dinner. We had jackets that we each paid for, no dues, no working a show, just fun. We helped built a few garages for other club members, put a roof or two on. All over the course of about 10 years.

All in all it was a fun time. No pressure, no drama.

10. Fordoors

Fordoors

Hm. Lots to digest. And yes, I could/should have searched a bit before posting. Sorry. Appreciate the cautionary notes but momma always said I was slow to learn...

Luckily, I'm the creator so hopefully I can get something started along the lines of what oldolds described.

Thanks all...

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

While it might seem cool to belong to a club, in reality, they can be a real PITA. For a while I was President of a local club and it was the hardest non paying job I have ever had in my life. Calls at all hours, someone always bitching about someone else, and a few end up doing all the work while the others are nowhere to be found until the fun starts. When they nominated me for a second term I declined, I had had enough of it all.

I guess there are exceptions, but any time you put 20 people with different opinions and personalities in one room you are going to have drama.

Don

12. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

There is a very famous car plaque that states " No Club Lone Wolf" and there is a reason why. I don't belong to any local clubs for a number of reasons. There always seems to be issues. How much for dues, what night for meetings, who is going to be prez., do you need to own a car, what do we spend dues on, if I miss too many meetings what happens and dozens of other reasons. One of our local clubs literally came to a fist fight over BS. Just not worth it for me . I am friends with all the guys but not a member.

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

We Don't Need No Stinkin Club! Been there done that won't do it no more.

15. fsae0607

fsae0607

Married + Kids + Home Repairs = No time for a car club

16. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I have several friends in clubs and the main gripe I hear from them is to much drama. IMO Unless you like drama dont do it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. CruZer

CruZer

That's the best advice. I helped start a club that I've been president of since 1992 and it's a heck of a lot of work and a big commitment and still I find myself hanging around with the 5-8 guys that I get along best with.The rest have formed their own "clicks" and we get along fine but I still hang with and travel with my buds.

If I had it to do over,I'd just keep meeting guys I got along with and waited until we had a small core group to hang out and work with.

18. AHotRod

AHotRod

X 1,000,000,000 ! Been there, worked my feet and hands to the bone...I could write a book about it.
    "Just say No".

19. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Oldolds has a great formula.
    If it all works out you can eventualy get into the process to form an actual club with a Board, dues, incorporation etc. if you want you feel the need to.
    Remember that once money starts changing hands you become a Club, not a club.

20. bob cutler

bob cutler

Started one last year, always helped out at shows and such with another club and things got so bad I started my own and we do things way different than most and we have been asked to help with three different shows this year must be doing something right!

21. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

Clubs are for seals

22. Ha ha ha

23. Not really a club, but the "Virginia Hamb" social group here uses the forum to keep in touch with others ongoing projects, communicate upcoming shows, and meet for breakfast then cruise together to these shows. There also have been organized "pie runs" or road trips to a given destination, just a means to get out and ride. I think this works well as we all have a common bond of what the gospel is, and regardless of differences in taste or opinions, we are all respectful of each others cars. No rules, no dues, no pressure, just a means of getting together with friends, and making new ones.

24. Chiefrider

Chiefrider
    from Lower 48

X2-been there done that :rolleyes:. Let me add, DON'T let the wimmins get "involved"- :eek:- especially as "officers"- you ain't never seen drama, son...

25. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Keep it small and light, and NO money. 5 of my friends and I get together once a month, eat some pizza, have a couple beverages, talk a little smack, and have a LOT of laughs. No one is "in charge". I don't think we will ever get any bigger. We all get along and don't want to ruin it.

26. +1 on this!...It has worked for our guys for 25+ years. We have about a dozen car guys who get together once a week for some chow, bench racing and anything else that keeps us grinnin'...:D

27. i say just keep it simple, just make it a group of friends, but with a jacket and plaque.

28. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I watched a local club implode and then divide in two, with both now failing.
    Allegations of embezzlement, illegal elections, name calling, back stabbing, ballot stuffing, trophy whoring & cheating, you name it.

They can keep their clubs. Me and my buds like to go freestyle.

29. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My advice on starting a club....don't.

I go to most shows with the same guys and we have no dues or work schedule when we get there.