Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Brickyard

Brickyard
    from Lisle, Il

Pensylvania 500 Hartman on pole 1971, still have the participant pin #612 from my dad.

Attached Files:

2. Brickyard

Brickyard
    from Lisle, Il

3. Brickyard

Brickyard
    from Lisle, Il

Steve Arndt hit the 3rd turn wall a TON @ Milwaukee 1971 Governors Cup 250. He was ok, the wall not so much.

Attached Files:

4. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

Hey Brickyard,

Thanks for the pictures. Governors Cup 250, Steve Arndt okay, the wall not so much. Neither was the his race car!

5. Brickyard

Brickyard
    from Lisle, Il

Here's 1 with Bobby and Stevie Wawak with Dick Trickle and his wife 1972. At Rockford Speedway the National Short Track Championships. Allways nice to enjot a cocktail after a hard day! Hey Chuck check your messages.

Attached Files:

6. Does anyone know who this is? It's from the Whittemore Michigan Speedway, many years ago of course. Twining is a small town in that area.

I used to go to that dirt track as a spectator in the late 60s and early 70s.

[​IMG]

7. Brickyard

Brickyard
    from Lisle, Il

Here's one of my dad's (Vern "Wimp" Ladendorf) first cars he built. We are at the Milwaukee Mile in 1969 I was 10. Wimp flinging the jack around.

Attached Files:

8. CHUCK STARK

CHUCK STARK

Wawak's car hauler was a tilt cab C-600 with a worn out engine, I gave him a 406 that I wasn't using, he rebuilt it and in the hauler it went. That thing was hard to catch on the way to Illiana where they always ended up late cause car owner Vern had to work.

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Guys, I'm sure you remember the late Dan Wright, also known on here as AllStarRacing. His old Figure 8 car, the Pink Panther, has been replicated by three Louisville area racers. The owner is Pete Shuffitt, the car was built and fabricated by Tony Johnson, a Late Model racer of some repute in that area, and was painted by Rick Erwin, a second-generation racer and one of the best in Kentucky for lettering race cars.

[​IMG][/URL]

10. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

Beautiful job the guys did on this replicating this figure 8 race.

11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

That looks great John, extremely nice.

12. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, I thought it was neat that they even went to the trouble to find a Mercury bumper. Those were big on Figure 8 cars after we initiated a rule that you could only have "stock" bumpers and bracing from the radiator forward at the Fairgrounds. I was driving a Mercury station wagon borrowed from a friend one day and was offered $300 for the front bumper. It wasn't uncommon to see a Merc from that era running around Louisville without a bumper or with a wooden one installed. Of course, racers wouldn't have been doing any "midnight requisitioning" would they?

13. felee

felee

Ron, I don't reconize the car or driver but chances are he also raced at American Legion Speedway in West Branch where I spent a lot of time in the mid to late 60s
    Lee

14. felee

felee

Brickyard,Your Dad had great taste in racecars. I am a Fairlane/Torino kind of guy! Thanks for the pics

15. Nitro Pontiac

Nitro Pontiac
    from Wisconsin

I'm always amazed to the depth of knowledge on the hamb. I'm looking for a picture or a lead on a '64 GTO that Bill Forbes raced in late 60's early 70's with his brother in Illinois. Thanks in advance. I know it's out there somewhere and someone must know something.

16. Nitro Pontiac

Nitro Pontiac
    from Wisconsin

17. hermit ridge salvage

hermit ridge salvage
    from oklahoma

Little earlier..

Attached Files:

18. k9racer

k9racer

Perry { Hermitage Salvage} you have thousands more so post more than one..

19. Stangman69

Stangman69

Sponsor Don Thompson #27. Driver unknown. #88 is Todd Thompson's car who is Don's son. Taken at Dayton Speedway, which Don owned.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  20. Stangman69

Stangman69

Don's #27.

Attached Files:

21. butch27

butch27

Larry Moore usually drove the #27, but that's not him.

22. k9racer

k9racer

I guess this is the original 420 guy!!!!!!!!! He looks like he might roll his own.

23. Stangman69

Stangman69

Yes, Larry Moore I believe drove for Don the longest, but I do know that there were other drivers, I just don't know their names. Todd said that when they pulled into the pits the first time with his #88 that people thought Darrell Waltrip had showed up. Darrell was sponsored by Gatorade then and the Thompsons had fun playing off the paint scheme with Todd's nickname "Guardrail". I believe this was the mid to late '70's.

Attached Files:

24. KimGreen

KimGreen

Charlie Greenwell was my uncle and just passed away on March 8th of 2014. I would love to see some old photographs of him from his days of racing. If you have any I would greatly appreciate you sharing those!
    Thanks!

25. I am in the process of going through this thread. I am looking for pictures and memorabilia of my Grandfather, Craig W Mellinger - Flagger (starter) Thank you!! He was a starter in the 50's & 60's.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  26. hemiman_1999

hemiman_1999

At what track was he a flagman?

27. My understanding is that he was all up and down the east coast.

28. big-daddy-george

big-daddy-george
    from New York

I knew your grandfather. He was the flagman at Weissglass Stadium on Staten Island for three years when I was racing there in the late sixties. He also flagged at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City in the fifties. One night at Weissglass after I had been pounding on the back of an out of town driver's car that was holding me up for most of the main event ,he came over to me after the race and told me I was suspended for two weeks for rough riding. The promoter Gabe came over and said "You can't suspend George, he just got a little carried away". Craig said "If you don't suspend him,I quit" .Gabe said, "Then you quit" .Never saw him again. I have pictures of him flagging and at the Weissglass dinner dances. Check my website..www.weissglassspeedway.com. I have a Weissglass Speedway reunion party every year here at my place the second sunday in June.

29. Am I allowed to say I'm sorry for my grandpa 40+ years later?? And gee... I thought the 'hot headness' only came from my dad, nice to know it went deeper than that.... truly I am sorry. If you don't want to hold a grudge against his youngest granddaughter :D I would love to have a copy of any of the images. Scanned, hard copy whatever works easiest for you. Just let me know what you would want for them. My email is [email protected]

Thank you,
    Wendy

after he left I hope you did better in the next race :)