Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oh no not another Willys Gasser build, this time a Willys shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Dec 8, 2013.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Vall, yeah I think they have come out pretty cool too, I set out to not do anything complicated to keep time and costs down, often it's the simple things that look the best !!!
    I was going to make them equal length primaries but it's not gonna be a performer really, I will be happy with 260+bhp

2. Saxxon

Saxxon

Yah I'm starting to seriously hate this guy... or follow his builds with reverence and awe... it's a thin line

3. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Frustrating day today, saturday is the only whole day I get each week to work on this and its been raining all day, the vega steering mount will have to wait for another week Not much to do on the headers either as waiting for more bends, I hate waiting for stuff to arrive

Anyway I did find something to make I needed to spin some blank off plates for the ends of the collectors, only had 1/4" stainless plate so marked out the round end caps and plasma cut them to rough shape and finished in the lathe. Also made some gaskets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had intended to just use nuts to hold the caps in place but as I had a little time spare I decided to make some stainless tri bar wing nuts instead, gave them a quick polish. I couldn't be bothered to polish out the welds, may do it later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. good call. those wing nuts will be a nice touch.

5. Saxxon

Saxxon

Leave the welds. Adds character...besides, it's a shop truck.

6. loudbang

loudbang

I love it nothing better to do so I MADE some wingnuts like it's an everyday thing to do. Your work ethic is awesome.

7. Not just your work ethic Steve, but your energy level is off the charts!!!
    g-willys

8. 2dr_sedan

2dr_sedan

I love your builds!
    Thanks for posting.

9. hemi v8

hemi v8

Agree. Great work Langy!

10. Beautiful work, & thumbs up for the modified front engine mount - it looks more pleasing to the eye being a bit more curvy.

We've got a sign at work (changed by some blokes in the workshop) which says "make it once, make it twice, make it three times but make it nice".

Keep up the good work & I look forward to more updates

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well 2 dry days in a row is pretty amazing at the moment !!! Still waiting for exhaust bends to arrive from Italy but I did trial fit a header to get an idea of the look, nothing super tricky but I absolutely love the way they look

[​IMG]

Also I was in need of a fuel pump blank off plate so milled one up from some aluminium plate, also gave it a little polish.

[​IMG]

Another job I wanted to get done was to mount the Vega steering box, no mount available to buy so made one in 3/8" plate steel, Also knocked up the draglink in 1" CDS tube. I need to make a new pitman arm with a crank in it, will do that over the next few days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I think I missed this the other day.

A tiny bit of progress, been scratching for jobs while waiting for bits to arrive, i've been searching for a Y block thermostat housing but nothing turned up yet, solution was to make one

Started with some aluminium off cuts & couple of hours later I had a housing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I really appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into your projects. For sure, "Cookie Cutter" will never be a label attributed to your builds. On the other hand, "Badass" seems a more applicable term.

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hahaha, thanks, I will try not to disappoint you

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks guys, appreciate the kind words.

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

The mandrel bends I had been waiting for turned up yesterday so last night I could get the headers finished :D
    I started to complete the drivers side but then realised the bends were slightly smaller in OD for some reason, I managed to use one to finish this header but the others are gonna have to go back and be replaced as it gives a step to the welded joint :mad:
    I also checked the length of the primaries and found them all to be within 1/2" of each other, result !!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  17. kelzweld

kelzweld

I always find your builds great to follow, both for inspiration and ideas. This kind of build is so much cooler than a 1 800 car :)

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks dude, you also get the pleasure of saying "I made that" :D

19. Stuwillys

Stuwillys

Steve, the headers look great.

20. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Steve,

At your convenience, can you snap a pic with the cap removed looking inside the collector? I always wanted to see what other people do to seal the 4 tubes up.

Excellent work as always!

Thanks,

Neil

21. very nice skills, very nice all round really

Jay

22. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

I love every last bit of this!

23. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Stu.

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Neil, where the 4 tubes meet there is a diamond shape hole, i just put a square sided spike in there like on merge collectors. next time I take them off I will take a pic for you.

25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Jay

26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thank you, glad you like it.

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I decided I couldn't wait for the bends to be replaced so built up with weld and sanded the joins, no one will ever know
    It actually wasn't raining today so bolted them on for a looksee, also took a pic of the steering box fitted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Skimmer

Skimmer

Coming together nice Steve ......

29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Been an exhausting day today (pun intended) started building the exhaust system, system is 2" stainless steel, mufflers are 2" Smithys 22" long, they were a little long for the space available so the inlets & outlets were shortened and fitted with 3 bolt flanges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Noland

Noland

looks very awesome as always, very clean work. I just had a question on your exhaust 3 bolt flanges. Did you purchase them or make them? I need some for my project. I've been thinking I'm just going to have to make them myself, but I seen yours so I figured I'd ask. Keep up the good work.