Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Bubbletops. Show Rods. Pics. Facts. More pics.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Gamlebilrokker, Oct 25, 2013.

1. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  2. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

i built a bubbletop out of a 53 corvette model if you want to throw in model cars. lol

3. THE KUSTOMIZER

THE KUSTOMIZER
    from south nj
    1. 60s Show Rods

4. fuzzface

fuzzface

George Barris, XPAK400. Kinda on the same order as Roth's Rotar.

Bob Larivee, Stiletto

Thanks goes to Fritz for sending me the Wildest Show Rods of the 60's & 70's book. Forgot about Bob's Stiletto but never knew about Barris's XPAK400 until I saw it in the book.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. autobilly

autobilly

Yeah, I believe that there was a bit of competition to see who could get theirs "up" first.

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I didn't see that anyone posted a picture of this one. At the Gilmore Car Museums "American Legends" display of iconic hot rods and customs. Another hat tip to Dennis Lesky of "Ionia Hot Rod Shop" for putting this show together!

Attached Files:

7. fuzzface

fuzzface

Brian, that is Moriarity/Futurian which is also pictured in the first post picture #5.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Whoops, didn't see it! Those took so long to load, I guess I didn't wait long enough when I was scrolling through the pics! On the up side, it's worth a couple more pictures, no?

Brian

9. fuzzface

fuzzface

Yes, it is always worth seeing displayed at different shows or events. Better than leaving it hid in a garage or living room. :)

10. Big Ayers

Big Ayers

Found this during filming of Bikini Beach

Attached Files:

11. T-DeWitt

T-DeWitt

Ian Roussel
    T bird

Attached Files:

Rustridden31, Rathbone, brEad and 2 others like this.
  12. T-DeWitt

T-DeWitt

A Bubble Box!!!

Attached Files:

13. How bout expanding on this box and bubble a bit.

14. T-DeWitt

T-DeWitt

I believe that there is air put to the top side and the box part is heated up.I not to sure on the temp they heated it up to.It looks like it worked out pretty well for them.

15. TERPU

TERPU

HaHa, you should see Fioto Motor that one at 80 on the 101. It hauls ass and he drives it as such.

All the best,

Tim

16. V818

V818

I built that oven and it works great !
    Blown 11 tops so far, the largest being 5' wide 8' long and 30" tall :)
    -Ian

BigO and MrGasser like this.
  17. I wish one of you guys that have done this would post a detailed how to with lots of pictures .... please? pretty please?

18. V818

V818

I'd be happy to share the knowledge, but the whole thing was developed for a TV show that airs this spring and I don't want to get blasted for spamming. I love the H.A.M.B and would never do anything to "rock the boat" here :)
    After it goes public I'm happy to tell everyone how its done. Or you could search the web. Thats what I did.... along with a little guidance from Gene Winfield :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  19. T-DeWitt

T-DeWitt

Sorry I found it!!bad ass car

20. kristoph

kristoph

#35: Darryl Starbird´s Starship. Based on a '72 camaro.
    Not his best looking one but saw this one with other crazy customs HERE in Switzerland in ´86 and i was 13!!

It was just unreal for me at that time!!!

21. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

22. Maybe its beginner's luck but I was surprised how easy it was to make the top for my Mysterion project. I knocked together a pattern from common lumber and took that to a plastics firm in Los Angeles. I think the key was this company specializes in blowing plastic bubbles so had all the right equipment. They took all of 15 minutes to blow two tops from my pattern (one to ruin, one to use) and they came out perfect. The key was they have that monster hydraulic press so they pulled the plastic sheet from the oven, laid it on the cloth covered table, pressed my pattern down and blew the top. The plastic stayed plenty hot for the duration and that press imprinted the plywood grain deeply in the flange of the plastic so I'm sure there were several tons of pressure holding it down. No chance of slippage. I added quite a bit of additional bracing to that pattern since that pic wast taken. Good thing, that press really cranks down on it!

Construction of the pattern in progress.
    [​IMG]

Starting to blow the bubble. That's a 1" thick steel plate between the ram and the 2X4s on top of my pattern!
    [​IMG]

Two good bubbles.
    [​IMG]

23. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

there was this corvette... I don't have a pic of the whole car though...

Attached Files:

24. autobilly

autobilly

Very interesting. Any pics of the Mysterion project?

25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Starbirds Cosma Ray-63 Corvette.

26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Gene Winfield built the Reactor, Then there`s the Famous GM Futureliners. The dome on top was originally a Bubble top. then they painted them because it was to hot inside while driving across country. So would that make it the first for a bubbletop.

27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

58 T-Bird built by Starbird. Ron Meyers built the one with the terrible photo of it. It looks a lot better in real life. Kinda like seein Fioto`s sitten up in the air and not sittin on the ground like it should be.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here`s the T-Bird.

29. Progress is pretty good. Am making the body mold now (so sick of fiberglassing I could scream!!) should have a body popped out by end of Feb. Chassis is virtually done. Just need to make the interior panels, mount radiator, etc., then LOTS of chrome (have to save some shekels for that!) wiring, paint, you know the routine. Hope to have it done and on the road (it will be drivable) by late summer. Don't know if I will be able to fit in and drive it; I am 6'3, 260#. May have to have my granddaughter drive it!!

I don't want to publish too many photos until I have it done. Am thinking of writing a virtual book on Hotrodders.com to save the record of the project.

You can see some photos of the headlight pod I made several years ago here
    http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2439&page=35&perpage=5&reverse=

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014