Register now to get rid of these ads!

Info on adapting keyed steering wheel/splinded shaft

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THR1LL3R, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Trying to find tech on how to adapt a 1949 Mercury wheel to my splined steering shaft on my F1. Really don't wanna destroy my Merc wheel by swaping centers and not to excited about rigging a 3 bolt grant adapter.
    Any suggestions?? Any one have a keyed shaft they wanna sell? I wouldnt be opposed to cutting and rewelding the shaft.

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

If the shaft is the same size or bigger,Is there a way you could just take a grinder (or lathe)and grind it down and grind out a place for the keyway......and/or weld the keyway to the shaft? Proceed with caution whatever you do, thats a situation that could get dangerous..

3. In the thread about Snooky janich's 41 ford, the restorers modify a keyed column shaft to a spline to install a 50 crestliner steering wheel. The actually cut and weld on the splined part. You could probably do something similar. You might try a want ad over on the Ford barn for a partial column shaft. I just sold one when I sold my extra 46 ford column, the bottom 4 inches were bent where it went it to the gear box.
    Matt

4. Yeah I guess I forgot to state that the keyed wheels hole is bigger than the splined shaft, Ive already cut my steering column down when I moved my steering box up so I'm comfortable welding on it.

46fat Ill check that thread out, thanks

5. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

haven't done this, but could you remove the splined center from a donor wheel and turn it down to the right diameter to fit inside the keyed wheel as a sleeve then cut a keyway on the outside to match the key for the wheel. :confused:

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Thats what I was starting to think too but it may just be more simple to cut yours off and weld another one on.

7. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

49 thru 51 Mercs , Lincolns, & pre-49 FoMoCo products all used tapered shaft with key. The shafts are tubular and the end taper is choked down with a machine or press to get the taper then the keyway & threads were cut. Shafts can be welded or insertion spliced with fishmouth, angle cut, or offset semi-circular cut & rosette welds if you can find a donor. They sell new ones for the more popular models of pre-49 cars. The problem is always finding the correct length since they differ so much between different models.

8. Thanks!!!

9. Just now seeing this thread so sorry for the late reply. I put my accessory wheel on my splined GM style column simply by cutting a key way in the splined shaft. The splined end fit tight inside the Merc wheel taper, so I just added the key for added insurance. Been driving it nearly daily for two years with no troubles. I outlined what I did including the adapter I made to make the horn ring work with the GM column in my rebuild thread. Search "undorkifying Merc" and it should come up. It will be close to the last page as the thread stands at the moment.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!