Register now to get rid of these ads!

1963 318 replacement valve lash adjusters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sport fury, Feb 2, 2014.

1. sport fury

sport fury

I have a 1963 Plymouth sport fury convertible with the original 318. I have a few worn valve lash adjusters on this engine. The adjuster screws have lost some of their interference fit. After adjusting them they turn themselves back to an excessive valve lash setting. I want to go through all the rocker adjusters to restore them to their original condition. These rocker screws do not use jam nuts to hold their adjustment. Are there any replacements with jam nuts for these rocker adjusters? I see Kanter sells replacement rockers for this engine. I have also seen on Ebay a rebuilt a rocker assembly. The rebuilt rocker assembly is said to be for hydraulic lifters only. The rockers assembly is shown clearly as from a 318A not 318LA. The 318A was designed only for mechanical lifters. How can it be possible to convert this engine to hydraulic lifters? The ebay add is for 1957-1966 318 rebuilt rocker assembly. Ebay number 1212 6448 2571. I am looking for some ideas for possible repair options.

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Have you tried asking your local Dodge or Chrysler dealer for new adjusting screws? If they are not available you could take the screws out and bitch the threads with a hammer or pliers. Not ideal but I don't know what else to do. Loctite would work but what happens next time you need to adjust them?

3. sport fury

sport fury

the looseness in the adjuster screws is also caused by wear in the internal threads in the rocker shafts. new screws would not always correct the problem.

4. GOSFAST

GOSFAST

I have access to the screws themselves, new, but no rockers.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. They should look like the ones in the photo here??

Attached Files:

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Well you already know where to get new rockers so what's the problem?

6. sport fury

sport fury

i want to see if i can replace, modify or repair my lash adjusters without buying rockers.

7. sport fury

sport fury

are there such a thing as over sized adjuster screws that you could just retap your rockers?

8. George

George

The 326 A Poly had hyd lifters, only one to have them. Supposedly same casting number as the 318 so, in theory, it might be possible to drill a 318 for hyd lifters. Probably need a 326 to see what the differences are though.

9. sunbeam

sunbeam

You can shrink a nut or in these case the end of the rocker by clamping the end with the adjuster threads by clamping it in a vice with the adjuster removed and heat a strip red hot and let cool. The end can't expand because of the vice and when it cools it will shrink making the hole smaller.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  10. sport fury

sport fury

i have been looking up rockers for my 1963 318A. i have been finding suppliers that list hydraulic rocker arm for 57-66 318. i have no knowledge of such an engine to exist.

11. George

George

As commented on before...the '59 only Dodge 326 had hyd lifters, so they will fit any of the A Polys, just won't work because non of the other A Polys have hyd lifters.

12. sport fury

sport fury

i am going to call some of these suppliers and get to the bottom of this.

13. swifty

swifty

Apparently Gary Pavlovich changes some of the engines he builds over to hydraulic cams. Don't know any details and only got that info secondhand from a mate who has been emailing him. Gary said there is 3 different grinds available for the change-over.

Didn't some of the last Polys built have hydraulic cams- maybe the 1967 Canadian versions?

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

Check out Ebay number 13117688715 new rocker set locknut style $115 + $13 shipping

15. sport fury

sport fury

there is a one number missing from this ebay number

16. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Could you plate the screws to enlarge them?

17. GOSFAST

GOSFAST

Been in this business a very long time and never encountered any adjusters with "o'size" threads??

I have a photo below of an adjuster we presently use with the jam-nut. I believe the nuts are available in different dimensions.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. There are probably other methods for a repair, if you could post some photo's up here it MAY help with a solution?? Couple different shots of your rockers! There may be a way to install a "thin" jam nut on your existing adjuster?

Attached Files:

18. sunbeam

sunbeam

The rockers have been relisted 310865628677

19. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just got a rebuilt set from http://www.rockerarms.com/
    ...They're awesome!

I sent back my cores to them so they might have set on the shelf by now?

T

20. sport fury

sport fury

what do they do to them to rebuild them. i wonder if it is something i could do myself.

21. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi sportfury

it'll be short...on my phone waiting for AAA....

New rocker shafts, new bushings, new adjusters w. Lock nuts, machined / blueprint the valve surfases, new spreader springs...
    They're nice!
    Less than $300.
    T

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. sport fury

sport fury

who is selling the rocker assemblies

23. 73RR

73RR

...hard chrome the shafts, then centerless grind them back to oem
    ...bore out the rocker arms, press in a bronze liner and hone to spec
    ...dress the tips, make them all the same. replace any that are too far gone
    ...machine the rocker for a standard adjuster screw and replace all the screws

Not something many guys can do at home.

24. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Who...??....http://www.rockerarms.com/
    ...really nice guys!
    ...Awesome stuff!

What do they do?
    What 77RR said....Did I mention they're nice!

T

25. 35desoto

35desoto

I had the same problem on a poly 318 years ago and used an aftermarket kit from one of the big name aftermarket suppliers and used big block Mopar adjusters - they came with locking nuts and solved our problem without any machining. The aim is to get the same thread - there are two sizes 5/16 and 3/8. the last lot I bought off Summit - they will never be listed as being suitable for a poly however the specs are right and they work - they don't come loose once the locking nut has been tightened down

26. earlymopar

earlymopar

I haven't checked but someone indicated either the 170 or 225 ci slant 6s use the same type of adjuster as the A series 318.

I can tell you that all I did to my Poly 318 adjusters was to lay them on a piece of thick brass (probably 3" thick) and hit them with a 3 lb brass hammer. The threads were protected but I was able to get a .001" - .002" out of round condition which was sufficient to recover the locking resistance needed to prevent rotation during operation.

- EM
    <input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden">

27. sport fury

sport fury

i called kanter today they told me that there is a long and a short rocker shaft for my 63 plymouth 318. they did not see very knowledgeable about the rocker shaft assembly for my engine

28. 73RR

73RR

...Ok...I'll call ya out on this...

You have been given the web site for the best damned rocker arm shop in the country and yet you're still screwing around calling Kanter and such.

Why?

29. sport fury

sport fury

you are one person recommending one business. hardly a consensus.

30. 73RR

73RR

...I wasn't the first...and I didn't name the shop...

If you think Kanter has the answers then go for it, sorry to have opined.