Register now to get rid of these ads!

Borg Warner Single Rail and Ford Type 9 gearboxes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greg55_99, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Greg55_99

Greg55_99

In the case of Borg Warner Single Rail and Ford Type 9 gearboxes, do these transmissions have the same bellhousing to case bolt pattern? I guess this is mostly for the Brits and Aussies.

Greg

2. Phil1934

Phil1934

3. JEM

JEM

Might be, depending on which single-rail box you're talking about:

http://www.morganownersclub.com.au/gearbox_conversion.htm

4. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

5. Greg55_99

Greg55_99

OK, let's see if some of you folks can figure this one out. The enclosed pic is a bellhousing from an Australian Leyland P76. It bolts to the Buick 215 and Rover V8. It also bolts to a transmission called the Borg Warner "Single Rail". I've heard of it, seen pics of it but have NO idea what it is. I don't know if it was ever offered in the US. The bellhousing is nearly 8" in depth. Pretty deep. Some years ago I took it with me on a junkyard hop, tried it on several different transmissions and found it bolted up perfectly to a Chrysler three speed. The question is, what else does it bolt to? Any Aussies in the audience? Ford Type 9 maybe? Not a Toploader pattern, I tried
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Greg<o:p></o:p>

Attached Files:

6. Hi Greg , my knowlege of leyland vehicles is limited to the fact that the day they designed the p76 all they had was a straightedge , I've been here for a while so memory is fuzzy , I could have sworn the single rail offered by ford was the same bolt pattern as a toploader , maybe p76 had a different b/p . the single rail replaced the toploader around 1974ish , not as strong as the toploader ,but still was used in a lot of rods in aust ,maybe someone with a bit more knowlege will step in . as for the original posters question , type 9 is something I've not heard of sorry

7. found this pic of b/w single rail ,has internal shift mechanism instead of external shift linkage type

Attached Files:

8. Common in Australia before t-5's. Used by Ford in Falcons and 6 cylinder Cortinas. I know at least one guy with one behind a flatty.

But I don't know much about the box itself. Most performance oriented people used the toploader until Tremec 5 and 6 speeds came along.