Register now to get rid of these ads!

1963 Olds aluminum 215 pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by turboroadster, Feb 3, 2014.

1. edit: its an Olds 215, 10.25 compression and 185 hosspowa'

ok, I finally got the motor home and it has some weird numbers on it, ill show picts.
    This has an aluminum air gap style factory 4 barrel manifold and factory tube style exhaust manifolds, so I am guessing this is the 10.5 compression 185 hp version?
    ok, here are the pictures and numbers on the heads and block.
    the intake number is 588239
    the head number is S283274G
    and the block has a flat pad by the front where the head bolts that has JN537 stamped in it.
    There is a picture provided of the side of the block with its numbers also, note the lower set of numbers appear to have been done by an aluminum mig , anybody have an idea what it is or means?

Last but not least, what do you know about these small engines?
    I also have the matching auto trans with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  2. bobadame

bobadame

From a nearly 50 year old memory when I had a couple of 215s, the 2 barrel motor was 165 hp. The 4 barrel was 185 hp and the turbocharged Jetfire model made 215hp. The heads on your engine don't look like Buick.

3. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

Could this be the Olds version of the 215? I know several folks who would know immediately, but they haven't seen this post yet. I'll alert them.

4. wicarnut

wicarnut

You have the Oldsmobile version. Back in the day (late 60's-70's) these were used in Midgets, Had the Buick, others ran the Olds. John

5. 270ci

270ci

That's an Olds 215, not a Buick. You can put Buick heads on that block though, if you really want the Buick version, but you just won't need all the Olds head bolts.

The intake looks stock. Buick/Olds 215's had "air gap" type intakes, long before Edelbrock came out with theirs.

6. thats awesome! an olds motor has the 5 bolts on the cyl so its happier with the 5# boost I may toss on it soon.
    agreed, the intake is stock, just thought is was groovy it was a factory air gap style, the engineers knew whats up indeed.

7. 270ci

270ci

8. PackardV8

PackardV8

IIRC the Olds valvetrain parts and pistons are more difficult to source than the Buick/Pontiac. Today, Rover is probably less rare of the four.

jack vines

9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Olds has 6 bolts around the perimeter of each cylinder, Buick has 5. See this thread, post #19 http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9494258#post9494258

Looks like you might have a broken bolt to get out by the timing cover.

10. yes sir, I just saw that and was actually jumping on to edit my post and you beat me to it :)

and Im gonna have to look at that bolt, dang

11. 77powerwagon

77powerwagon

Check out D&D Fabrication in MI. He's the authority on these motors and has a lot of trick parts for them as well. His website also has tons of info on the history of the motor and all differences between the Olds and the Buick. Pontiac also used them, but I believe it was the same as the Olds.

12. definitely Olds! Air gaps weren't new when that engine was built, Lots of GM V8 engines were built that way from the beginning of V8 production, plus early hemis. SBCs were one of the first that wasn't air gap!

13. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I believe that those are the stock style exhaust manifolds, too.

14. yes sir, definitely stock cast iron manifolds, they look cool though :D

15. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

I realize this topic is slightly moldy, but @turboroadster has been seen semi-recently, and I've been down the rabbithole of 215 V8s, so...here's some helpful info for determining which 215 you have: http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/GM-215-Engine-Identification.htm

Looking at other 215 Olds cylinder head character stampings online, the "S" and "G" in @turboroadster 's engine appear to be stamped correctly (and consistently with other I have seen) leading me to believe the linked info below is slightly incorrect. That's significant for determining whether or not you have 30-hp difference between the 2-bbl vs 4-bbl Oldsmobile heads.

From the above link:
    Oldsmobile Engine Numbers
    (stamped onto front of right-hand cylinder head)

Engine Number Format: AA-BBBBBBB

"AA" designated rated power (S="155 H.P.", SG="185 H.P.", ST="215 H.P.", SH or SE="low compression export models")

"BBBBBBB" was the production sequence number

I believe this should be in the: "ABBBBBBA" format, to be correct.

Nice score, @turboroadster , hopefully you have put it to good use by now.