Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Plan II - 62 Chevy II Drag Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

"Take care of the ounces , and the pounds will take care of them self's" Drag Race Gospel !!! Chris

els likes this.
  2. powrshftr

powrshftr

You said it Chris!
    I took 50 lbs out of the car I'm running at the meltdown a bunch of years ago just by pulling the heater box,core,hoses,all controls,and the sound deadener and insulation from it...it adds up fast!

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

1Nimrod and els like this.
  3. Gasser_Dave

Gasser_Dave
    from St. Louis

Don't know if you found your slots for the front yet, but if you search gasser over on racing junk, there is a guy selling a pair of 15x4 1/2 inchers for 450. kinda pricey though.....

4. thedreamer

thedreamer

Looking good.

els likes this.
  5. Stingraystripes65

Stingraystripes65
    from NWI

Looks great!!subscribed!!

No brains, no headaches -Ed Roth

els likes this.
  6. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

nice work... gotta love the 62-64 chevy ii,s great start..keeping track of this one. thanks

els likes this.
  7. El Coral

El Coral
    from Argentina

i love this proyect

els likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

thanks...I can find a few pairs for 400 plus. I can also find new 5" wide for under $300 a pair. But they're not the same....

9. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Squirrel- A great read on your build-up, and I will for sure be cheering for you next year. Just the fact that ANY car finished Drag Week is a miracle!! On that note, I'd like to offer up a tidbit on the front spring set-up, if I may. My experience with numerous AWB builds and assisting Steve Magnante with his projects over the years does not make me an expert, but rather having an idea of "what works" and "what last's" based upon a lot of trial and error.

One area of note is the short front springs. I always like to run a longer set-up, for driveability and comfort,say from an A-100 Dodge or an Econoline, but I also get the reduction in weight by using a trailer style unit. Makes sense.Recently, I've tapped into the new resource of Jeep CJ-7 springs. But the stock nylon bushings may not survive the journey, due to the pounding they will take on this road trip. We've experimented with Oillite Bronze bushings and have had good results. But if you have to run what you got, take a spare set with you just in case. Man- I think what you are setting out to do is truly BITCHIN ! Street-driven match- bash cars will take on a whole new meaning !! Good luck, and keep up the good work!
    Dale Snoke

10. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks! good to hear from you.

I'm not too worried about the front springs, they are the Speedway springs, around 34? inches long, they came with lots of thin leafs so they're kind of adjustable. I'm used to driving old leaf spring trucks, too.

Got some body work help, he's going hard at it...pass side quarter is almost done with the metal work. And I started building the shifter, we'll see how this attempt goes, I'm trying to duplicate a zig zag B&M TH400 shifter from 1966, which seems to not exist anywhere, except in one picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Will that shifter ratchet on upshifts, by applying pressure to the right as you upshift?

12. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Beautiful Nova! One question for us uneducated people, What does moving the rearend forward do? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm just trying to learn.thank you & I'll keep watching!

1Nimrod likes this.
  13. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Didn't see it mentioned here yet but our man Forbes is getting some love over on BangShift.;)

els likes this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

The idea was to get more of the vehicle weight on the rear tires...since rear tires were not very sticky in 1965....

First attempt at the shifter is together and kind of working. I'm happy with the 1-2-3 shift, but Park needs to be more to the right. I also have to figure out how to build the tunnel around it so I can seal the moving parts, and be able to to install/remove the shifter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Is there going to be any type of rev lockout??I could tell a very embarrassing story but i think ill pass:eek: -- i still have it hanging on the wall as a reminder of sorts, i think it was called Z Gate Ratchet by Hurst

els likes this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, there will be a positive reverse lockout. And a neutral safety switch. Has to meet NHRA rules

17. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I love this car:)

18. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

FUNNY,That shifter is just like the one I tried to make in high school in 1968, never did finish it, your's looks a lot better than mine did !! I could barely afford the magazine I saw one in, let alone the shifter !! COOL car !! Chris

19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Anything happening?

20. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, stuff is happening. Slowly, there's other things going on in the world also.

Inside floor is almost all welded up. I added the 1/8" plates for the roll cage. Left quarter is almost done, getting a little rust repair at the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. squirrel

squirrel

Race schedule was announced. Tulsa is the start/end track.

blogs.hotrod.com/2014-hot-rod-drag-week-schedule-is-here-plus-a-new-heads-up-shootout-106385.html

22. Fastest street cars in Ok. ?????

els likes this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

that's what the talk is....we'll see, I guess!

24. squirrel

squirrel

A little more progress. Most of the paint is stripped of the car, most of the rust holes are fixed, roof has the bodywork done, quarters are mostly done, and I set it on it's side to work on the underside of the floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Great progress, Keep up the good work!

els likes this.
  26. 416Ford

416Ford

Looking good Jim. Every time I come back for the updates I think of my first car. I was not even old enough to drive when I purchased my Chevy II and the thieves got it before I could do much to it. I lost all the pictures of mine when I was in the military but I found the only picture I have of it hanging on the wall in the garage last night.
    Keep up the good work and the hunt for fastest street car.

Attached Files:

• Nova.jpg
      Nova.jpg
      File size:
      185.1 KB
      Views:
  27. I want to see more pictures of your rig you made to get the car on the side. That is an excellent idea, and I must steal it. :D

28. squirrel

squirrel

The stand is just a few pieces of 1x2 tubing, welded to make a T at each end of the car. Tipping it up is a bit exciting if you're doing it by yourself...I suggest you get some beer buddies over for that. I used a hoist, chained to a spring hanger

29. You rolled your gasser! Looking great!!:D

els likes this.
  30. Looks like a vanishing rotisserie, great idea Jim!

els likes this.