Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Model A Sport Coupe Picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pensive Scribe, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Dave Mc,
    Thanks for the info. In placing the upper and lower rear panels between the rear qtrs, I measured 36+/-" at the bottom and 37 1/2 +/- at the top for the trunk opening. Does that sound right that it's a bit wider at the top? That's an original, the bottom panel is a repro. I don't have the side channels on the quarters yet.
    Thanks again.
    Richard

2. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Mine measures 35 3/4" @ bottom , 36 3/4" @ top and it has a good gap all around the Decklid

3. Dave,
    Thanks again!
    Richard

4. Koz

Koz

I have. The one I liked the most was on a '29 RPU. The trick was getting the windows to roll up and be stable without a front post. To do so I laid the front windshield posts back just a few degree. Not so much that it changed the vertical appearance of the posts, I think I layed them back about 3/8". I then set my glass channel right against my hinge pockets in the front. As the car was chopped 4" I was able to extend the glass down into the door stock length which kept the glass stable. As windows push in, not out I just used some weatherstrip on a narrow flange along the windshield post. As the window rolled up it sealed against the strip. The back was pretty much the same deal. It looked like the posts were true vertical but they were not. You just didn't perceive the taper.

The top was one of my aluminum fabrications and followed about the same lines as the one in the post above, which made the pickup look really "swoopy", (at least in my mind).

After that, the folding top was a no brainer. The same window profile was used on the folding top so you could close the windows in the summer rain. I remember the top sealed very nicely and had minimal wind noise and oddly enough didn't leak. Something my wifes new Mazda convert has yet to accomplish.

Naturally no pics! I'm trying to remember who's car it was. If he's on here maybe he can post up. My red roadster had a very similar arrangement but I never got around to doing the door glass. That's owned by Ryan in the Aces and Eights club now. Maybe he can post up a pic or two for you to check out the top.

The only pic I have of it as of now......

[​IMG]

Mine was the one in the middle.

5. here's my old coopster..

Attached Files:

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Appreciate the info. I'm just in the sketching ideas phase of things (for about a half year now!) so who knows. I think my problem will be at the B pillar. Eliminating it will create an unusual looking phantom 3W effect, but a rear quarter from an old Nova or Mustang might work. There was also a post recently about 55-56 Chevy vent windows working on a stock Model A coupe.. so perhaps that will compensate a little for the lack of a B pillar. As for the alternate ragtop, I think I can work that out easier than the hard top version. It just might have a T-bird round oval window, too. Who knows, film at eleven. Gary

7. Koz

Koz

I'll be watching! This kind of stuff is the "fun" work. After you've built you 50th deuce chassis something like this is great mental exercise.

8. Joatha

Joatha

I have a 1930 Sport Coupe that I will turn in to a running hot rod....someday.

Here is a picture of it:
    [​IMG]

The goal is to turn the above Sport Coupe in to a hot rod version of the one below - make it fenderless, white 50's flames on the doors (white firewall, too) and no bonnet on it. Oh...and I have a 354 Hemi to power it.

[​IMG]

9. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Stogy likes this.
  10. Small world 29EHV8. This is from Langley days 2006, before I even owned one. Is your picture at Mission?

scan0001b.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  11. b-bob

b-bob

An update on my coupe progress. Not very exciting, but proof that I am slowly getting some work done, even if it's only a couple of hours a day.

[​IMG]

Had to replace the rear axle and brake drums,

[​IMG]

Have been stripping off the diaper brown paint and sanding, sanding and sanding some more.

[​IMG]

Have the front and rear suspension parts cleaned and ready to paint, but i'll do those after the body is done.
    Spent time this morning masking and removing the last of the parts before the priming starts which should be soon.

Also I picked up a 37 transmission this week, does the Cling adapter kit give you everything that is needed to do the job? Are there any other parts that have to be found? Thanks in advance, Brian

12. b-bob

b-bob

Geeze, imagine sanding all those louvers, my fingers hurt, just thinking about it.

13. Koz

Koz

Actually the louvers weren't the hard part. Getting the seriously wacked body straight was an act of this Congress! The interior was the coolist part of this whole car along with the cowl steer and the swing pedals that worked the MC and clutch under the floor boards without anything on the firewall.

Roof padded and ready for Hartz Cloth....

[​IMG]

Steering and pedals....

[​IMG]

Bell crank system that operated the pedals.....

[​IMG]

Fabbed seat frame for Glide foam insert. Folded to allow storage compartment behind.

[​IMG]

SBC, (355), dressed to resemble Olds with homemade sandy Belond headers...
    [​IMG]

Just a couple of the cool details on this car. By the way, all those louvers were punched by Homemadehardtop on here. They were a PITA to sand!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. fryguy

fryguy

I know where that car sits

15. b-bob

b-bob

Wow, a ton of fab work in that car.

16. Can you get us an update fryguy? Current pictures would be a bonus.

I have one from the add in the classifieds here on the HAMB.

attachment.jpg

17. Koz

Koz

That car was so sweet I'd love to see if it was finished or what state it's currently in. I had planned on doing it in a Black and Orange theme like a 1930's CeeBee airplane with a large rolling scallop on the door. They were still layed out when I sold it.

18. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Here are a few pics of the 29 I recently scored. The previous owner had it since the early 40's and it looks like it has always been garage kept. All the typical rust areas are solid as can be!

If anyone needs info about dimensions or pics, lemme know and I will help as much as I can.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^ Lucky Dog! Gary

20. b-bob

b-bob

Yeah, that is nice.

21. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Here's one of my all time faves. It was built in the mid 50's in Windsor Ontario and ran a mercury Y block until Dick stepped up and installed a blown nailhead Buick. Very fast car ran well over 100mph in the 1/4 back then.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Oh yes! I really like that one. And the sister coupe isn't all that bad either! Gary

[​IMG]

23. Koz

Koz

Now there's a man after my own heart. They can never be too low or too overpowered!

24. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Some nice inspiration here for my 28. Seeing the chops and nicely done tops gives me confidence in my decision to keep the top on mine.

25. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

AHHH - someone's been paying attention! Cool

26. fatcaddi

fatcaddi

Here's my rough start. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391391286.947989.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391391303.813774.jpg

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

And it even looks better with a little Photohop'n to let ya see more. Gary

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

28. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

29. fatcaddi

fatcaddi

The guy I got the body from told me I had to keep ol blackula in it till I took its place.

30. What's the plan fatcaddi?