Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAWAII BILL To Ban Most Loud Exhaust Systems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Joker, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

If you live in HAWAII, or have Buddies over there, Check out the new SEMA Driving Force Bulletin. Hawaii Bill H.B. 2209 to ban most aftermarket exhaust systems. You need to immediately contact members of the Hawaii House Transportation Committee to oppose this proposed Bill. more info at www.capitol.hawaii.gov

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  2. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

I live here and it might be the Harley guys that caused this to happen.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

4. k9racer

k9racer

I see a problem. How are they going to say where the line is. will the police carry decibel meters?? or just say its to loud? As Dr J said "" Power is a dangerous drug""

5. I remember when most towns had what they called a noise ordinance,to the police it meant loud mufflers.

I was on the receiving end of several citations from the man in blue and it was usually up to the discretion of the officer of what was too loud. HRP

6. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

If it creeps into the more modest cars you can thank the a-holes on the Harleys that pushed the noise beyond sanity.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  7. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

I should start one of those noise by-laws at my house, when my better and louder half starts on me , I could use some hush thrush to quiet her down and I'm 3/4 deaf already ! I think that's why she screams at me ! She thinks I'm putting her on ignor mode , I keep telling I can't hear , she says get hearing aids , and I say What ! Oh fugly now I got fight the cat for the couch ! Another pussy to deal with LOL

8. I am sure I will have to deal with this soon. Just look at my avatar

9. You may have a problem, yes.

10. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Naw u won't any problem ! Just cruise by the fuzz in Tennessee overdrive ! Ha

11. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

When I have been pulled over, and they say my car is to loud, they do pull out a meter. I have been pulled over on stock motorcycle and told it was to loud. In the end is up to the porker, with the doughnut.

12. Problem is Harley guys and rodders that think shit sounding exhaust noise is music to everyones ears. Tuned length headers may be beautiful music at full tilt but noisy crap exhaust is still crap.

13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Guess the 'Loud Pipes Save Lives' defense is falling on deaf ears.. ;)

14. 409ina49

409ina49
    from Ohio

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

15. ebfabman

ebfabman

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you've ever tried to comfort a sick infant after many hours of no sleep or wanted to comfort a dying elder in their last hours maybe you would understand why people hate the inconsiderate idiots who feel the need to call attention to themselves by making noise.

I support the action.

I can still enjoy the hot rod hobby and be fulfilled without creating a nuisance or being an inconsiderate ass to others.

16. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I ride a Harley and the loud pipes save lives is BS, the noise is behind you, people in a car with the windows up don't hear you until you are beside or ahead of them. I get tired of people with straight pipes on bikes and cars revving them up all the time.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  17. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

18. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

You live in very pretty area. We stopped by on our way from Hilo to to Waipi'o Valley - saw the Akaka falls and attempted to go to the Woodshop Gallery, but it was closed. That's one steep ass hill going into town from the highway!

19. The action does NOT ban aftermarket exhaust systems - that is against Federal Restraint of Trade laws. What it says is you cannot alter or change the exhaust to be noticeably louder than stock. This is also how this is going to fail, you cannot enforce a law with ambiguous terms such as "noticeably" - noticeably to WHOM? They would have to set a decibel limit and then equip and train LEO to operate that meter within the guide lines of something like SAE 1287 or similar.

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

back in the 80's I got pulled over by a cop for loud exhaust and he used a decibel meter and a tach. 90 DB @2000 RPM was the limit.. something like that. he had a hand held Sun tach and I had a Sun tach on my dash. he said I was over, but our tachs did not match and he gave me the benefit of going by my tach and let me go.

I'd say if they do not have a decibel limit at a certain RPM it will be a way to hassle people and generate income. welcome to America

21. Plaza56

Plaza56

The noise is behind you? Well, is guess it is if you ride faster than the speed of sound:)

I don't run straight pipes, but they still hear me coming!

22. If that were true than all the BMW and Gold Wing riders would be DEAD :D

23. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I always figured that I could do most anything that I wanted to if I were quiet.

Just not into attracting attention.

24. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

The more hot rodders and bikers stay off the radar the better. Once politicians take an interest, they go after loud exhaust today, then smog, ignitions, lights, lowering, special construction, etc tomorrow. The sky's the limit. If we flaunt the rules with obnoxiously loud raspy exhausts it will eventually get action and the new regs will be tighter than anyone wants. As for loud pipes save lives, those same guys don't seem to prioritize safety with ape hangers and pudding bowl helmets.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

It's academic...

90 dcb @ 20 feet was law in Northern Calif in the early '60s. Motorcycle cops carried decibel meters, (neat 6" X 9" black leather boxes in their saddlebags)
    We were younger then, antagonized the locals with open header plugs, etc.

Moral: "Children should be obscene and not heard."

26. wsdad

wsdad

I think we should tolerate each other's MILD annoyances more than we do.

I think you have a point about exhausts that are past a certain decibel level but it's carried too far when it can't be louder than stock.

How would you like it if we passed laws that made you change things about your car that annoys me? You wouldn't be able to have giant rims with thin tires, you'd have to have steel bumpers instead of the ones that are a part of the body, no yellow cars (I can't begin to tell you how annoyingly ugly I think yellow cars are!).

Also, no cars painted the same color as the street. They are unsafe because they blend in like chammelians. All cars should be safely colored a contrasting color to the roads they travel. No grays, silvers, blacks, or brown cars or I will be annoyed and you will be unsafe.

Of course, I'm being a little ridiculous to make the point that you are being just ever so slightly ridiculous in taking the loud exhaust bitching just a little too far. You wouldn't want your dying elder to see you teaching your insomniactic infant to be an inconciderant ass to hot rodders with acceptably loud exhausts, now would you?

By the way, when my infant is sick, nothing puts her to sleep like her car seat and the drone of my exhaust.

At least that's how I see it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  27. spanners

spanners

Over here in Oztralia, we used to have decibel meters mounted with red-light cameras. If you registered as being a bit on the loud side, you got a fine in the mail. How you proved it wasn't you and not the rice-burner with his blow-off valve next to you was your problem. I think it was initially set up to ping the big-jiggers with the straight through pipes and Jake-brake fetish. It didn't work, became a legal nightmare. Not only that, if you knew where they were you'd just push the clutch in and coast past.

28. What the Hell is a Big Jigger?

29. slammed

slammed

Jake brake....big jigger....sounds like a Big Rig Semi.

30. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Just who is this guy, Hawaii Bill, anyway? If someone's car is quieter than a Harley, it can't be that bad, Mr. Bill. Gary