Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Alpine rumble - Bad Kitty

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Entlebucher, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

Damn, can't believe that i start a build thread. I allways like to watch build-threads myself and i appreciate the advice you can get there. So, let's begin!

The idea: prewar style, mildly hopped up banger, lightweight, loud and dependable. Mechanical brakes, 32-36 frontend, T-rear spring etc.

Started to work on the car 4 weeks ago, trying to bring it on the road in Summer 2014, but i wouldn't bet on it:rolleyes: The wintertime here in Switzerland can be long, but there are so much other things to do with that white pestilence that covers my beloved mountains.

I'll be gratefull for any kind of advice or idea!

So, the basis just like i picked it up, got it running and enjoyed some short rides. Originally from California, last owner lived in Palm Springs:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

original leatherback, build 1929 according to the frame number, somebody covered the leatherback with sheetmetal (pretty rough):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

This car looks so cool already. Especially the first picture is just perfect !!! Hopefully you can finish it by summer !

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks interesting, The black and whites look like someone's photos of their fenderless Model A from the 50's or earlier.

Downsized a bit I think.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  4. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

Yes, it was big fun to drive! Simple and pure... until i took it apart.

The frame is very healthy, somebody welded the front crossmember in the past.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found some interesting details, like this retention spring for the linkage to the rear brakes. I have never seen any like these on a model a, so maybe an improvisation?

[​IMG]

Also found such a funny retention spring on the lever of the cross-shaft:
    [​IMG]

5. fritzthecat

fritzthecat

Kann zwar nicht alle bilder öffnen aber dein coupe sieht sehr lecker aus!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. luke13

luke13

yeah what he said.

7. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

Ou, sorry about the pictures. let's trie again:

The frame is very healthy, somebody welded the front crossmember in the past.
    [​IMG]

Found some interesting details, like this retention spring for the linkage to the rear brakes. I have never seen any like these on a model a, so maybe an improvisation?

[​IMG]

Also found such a funny retention spring on the lever of the cross-shaft:
    [​IMG]

8. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

In the meanwhile i spent some time in my cave up in the mountains and put some ellbow grease into the project.

Especially the frontend was a bit tricky. But with the good advice you can get here on the hamb, i managed it. I try to keep the mechanical brakes on my new project and i don´t like the looks of the 4" dropped axle (to much "postwar"). Carter´s fabulous build braught me to the 32-36 axles. Works perfectly well with 32´perches, Model A spindles and steering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  9. Majo

Majo

Nice car!
    Bin gespannt auf deinen Aufbaubericht!

Majo

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

the best thing you can do is a high compression head, followed by a 84-87 F150 3 spd with O/D, the electronic ignition and the worlds best carburetors

Attached Files:

11. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

Now the Pictures should work...

Thanks manyolcars, nice set of SU's you got there! I have some in my Mini, but i will go with a single Stromberg 97 (i am very pleased with the on on my flathead V8).

a head with higher compression is already waiting, i plan to go with a 39 toploader (typical excuse for the syncro: my girlfriend;) and a scintilla magneto.
    [​IMG]

Lowtech was so kind and braught some parts from the US, thanks again:)
    [​IMG]

12. oldsboy

oldsboy

Great Looking build, excited to see this one come together!

13. chuxx

chuxx

Very cool. Check over at the Ford Barn site about the brake return springs, looks like a good idea with the mechanical brakes.

14. olskool34

olskool34

Nice car, I love the pic of it on the trailer with the beautiful countryside behind her. I'll have to keep an eye on this one.

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Those retention springs are an improvised form of brake rod anti-rattlers. Ford As came with them in two different forms between 28-31.

16. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

Thanks guys!

Pasadenahotrod: That was also my first thought, but i had to realize that the retention springs on the lever at the backing plate and in the drums where worn out or broken, this thing did two jobs:)

Thanks olskool, that's central switzerland, right behind my garage, pretty rough during the winter...
    [​IMG]

motorntv likes this.
  17. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

Discovered some more pics...
    Collected some headlamps, came from a tractor and must have been used during WWII, someone crafted adapters for them to shade the light. How would you say to this thing in english?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. olskool34

olskool34

Damn is that a unimog you have? I love those things.

19. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

yes, my workhorse, 1969 u52, grew up with unimogs... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391190530.345195.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. dude, looks great! btw I just found another one of your speedway boxes when I was cleaning my shop... :)

21. luke13

luke13

22. Great start! I'll be watching

23. osut362

osut362
    from East Texas
    1. Upholstery

The "headlight shades" appear to be military style black-out light covers....Al

24. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

Good to hear that the Unimog is still used all over the world! Do you know which model the army is using?

25. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

Took some parts to a sand blaster, with great effect! Saved a lot of time and kept my garage clean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

Hmpf... that thing had it... need to butter it up or change the hole trumpet. lucky to have a spare axle.

[​IMG]

No wonder if you look at the shackles that i had to drive out of there...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. tred

tred

yeah, that was my first thought but i've never seen them "direct" the light down on the ground, only straight ahead into the air so planes flying overhead couldn't see it...
    that makes me think someone made only the one pair of these.
    they're pretty cool though, and if they happen to be for sale, put me in que for them.
    now back to the thread already in progress

28. You very well may get away with a new bush and shackle, or get a new shackle, and have a machinist ream the shackle mount and machine a bush to suit the inside and outside diameters. Shouldn't cost too much at all. I will likely be having that done with my cut off Model A spring mounts i'm using on a later rear end.

29. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

Time flies when you are havin´fun...

Collecting parts:
    [​IMG]

The head lost a long fight:
    [​IMG]

Looks pretty healthy:
    [​IMG]

Just a few dents... can anybody tell me the cause for these holes?
    [​IMG]

30. Entlebucher

Entlebucher