Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Black Pearl Deco Coupe @ GNRS ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pimpin paint, Jan 27, 2013.

1. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

The fact you see fifty-eight Chevrolet shapes in the quarter lights is do in no small part to the fact General Motors designers spent considerable time in europe at auto shows in France, England & Germany. Harely Earl and later Bill Mitchel were both big fans of foreign automotive design.

2. I walked around this one several times. It is possible that Hetfield may gain as much fame as a patron of the automotive arts as a musician. I look forward to seeing how this car ends up.

3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Chili, in a way, Hetfield's patronage of coachbuilders & other artists is very traditional! The well moneied always have kept the artisans & craftsmen outa the soup lines:)

'' Picture all experts as if they were mamals ''

4. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

COOL IS JUST COOL, any way you put it...........BEAUTIFUL is an understatement and the Quality is undescribable............well done

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Now THAT is a noteworthy quote!

6. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

What a beautiful automobile , I was so busy at the show I missed that corner of our building , dammit ,the craftsmanship looks awesome in the photos. I just got a call they are going to use one of our 40 column shift columns in it, so that made my day :) Hetfield has ours in a few of his cars , no t*lt columns for him !

7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

That thing is very tasteful. Gorgeous work.

8. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

The fast roofline & the falling waistline design motifs were used by pre-war french coachbuilders like Letourneur & Marchand, Marcel Pourtout, Saoutchik, and english coachbuilders like Gurney Nutting and Freestone and Webb. We would see this same line treatment, here in america, in the mid fifties on GM marques like Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and yeah, even fiftyeight Chevrolets!

I'd be nice to see more of these lines used in the building of today's radical kustoms, but the time, skill & money involved pretty much dictate their rarity:(

Thanks again for the posted pictures

" Beware the irrational however seductive "

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

I agree. Pointy corners dont seem right on a car that is round everywhere else. Its kinda like using square headlites on that car, it would be wrong

10. The skill in this car is unreal and now knowing the drive train just makes it that more proof that James has great taste in rides along the lines of Alice Coopers 40 ford

11. deto

deto

cheese and rice... that car is humbling. good on hetfield for doing this one too...

12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I'd also like to see more of the "traditional" coach style used in building customs today, but the skills needed would not make for many of these being built. IIRC, Doug Thompson built a 47 Packard back in the 90's using French streamline touches in it's design...debuted it at a Leadsled Specacular in Michigan, Maybe Holland. But it really didn't go over very well, I dont' think the backyard builder mentality of the "carriers of the torch" ( not meant in a demeaning way) or the Barris school, understood the car. I loved it! Roof ridge, and swoopy side window opening, and all!

13. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Yeah Mark, that deep purpleish brown metalic coloured one:) When I first saw that build I thought wow! this is really different from what we were seeing in the first decade of the rebirth of kustoms! That build was a good fifteen-twenty years ahead of the curve in kustoms. Today, had it been shot in a pastel pearl and previewed by Zocchi or D'Agostino they'd all be ga, ga over it:( The fat radials and wires killed it foe me, however:D

" Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "

14. coupemerc

coupemerc

Does the fact that it was shown at GNRS disqualify it for eventually competing for America's Most Beautiful Custom? It would surely do well in Sacramento.

15. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Next time I talk to him, I'll axe'm if I can post some of it.

16. Wow that is out of this world. Unbelievable metal work. Super craftsman.

17. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Not feeling it. Great in bare metal though. Why choose a dark color that hides the work?

19. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

This thing was in TRJ #60. Can't wait to see their pics of the final car.

20. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

Here's a shot I took of it last night…

[​IMG]

21. Weasel

Weasel

At the risk of getting mauled:eek: - the car is beautiful but I find the roof too flat especially at the rear as it obviously 'borrows' a lot from the styling of the Delage D8 120 Aerosport below. Nonethel;ess this is a superb achievement and I applaud the use of the Jaguar Mk IV chassis and running gear....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I just returned from seeing the show, and when standing next to the vehicle, the dark colour works to show off the volume of the shapes. I think I'd have gone with a medium solid pastel colour, but no way in hell a pearl try-coat, candy or metalic.

The brass brightwork is a deal killer for me as it reminds me of the ''guetto'' option featured during the "SuperFly'' era on Caddies & Lincolns with all the brass work, radiator shells and the chrome swan on the hood.

Still a major tilt of the fedora to anyone who builds/comissions a build outside the box, and nota ''me-too mobile''!

" The ice cream truck in his neighborhood plays Helter-Skelter "

23. Attached Files:

24. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Saw it at the show yesterday....not enough space to post why it is the essence of a classic custom car. This is proof positive that coachbuilders are still around.

25. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I'm sure I've seen something like that window line on a Derby Bentley. I can't place the coachbuilder, though; someone like Thrupps or Maythorn. It's in a book of my dad's. I hope I remember to look it up the next time I'm there.

I'm feeling increasingly vindicated. I've been sketching "coachbuilt" hot rods since the '80s.

26. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

And................no need for vindication, coachbuilt automobiles have always been rolling works of art, some more than others!;)

" Life ain't no Disney movie "

27. IronTrap

IronTrap

28. Totally agree about the trim. I think the brass makes it look cheap and tacky.

29. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

nickel plating would have done it justice. Bloody sweet car and amazing craftsmanship regardless

30. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I saw it at GNRS and was so disappointed with the end results. I think anything but the brass would have looked better. The hubcaps look like cheap spray paint. The basic car is cool, the trim finish ruins it (it needs nickel or chrome.)

can someone photoshop a Trans Am bird to the hood or decklid of that thing