Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Flat-N-Low's '64 C-10 thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat-N-Low, Jul 3, 2013.

1. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I will pm you my number. I have some experience in wood work and I think I may have a better idea......call me.

2. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Alex-
    That be the one. I'll be driving my '13 also. Hope you can make it.

3. WOW!! Awesome build. I just saved this to my favorites on my work puter. I WANT my 63 to be half as nice as yours. I WILL be searching swap meets, salvage yards and what ever else i can "borrow" from this thread.

4. Finally got the notches installed. I have done notches before on '73 and up Chevys, and these were by far the most difficult ones I have ever done. Every part of the install area was either double wall or triple wall 3/16". Cutting it was no fun, and drilling was even worse. I wound up breaking a total of 5 drill bits. With the thickness of the metal, once the drill bit caught, you were going for a ride. I used a torch and warmed up the top portion to make it fit the contour of the frame better because it's getting fully welded around the entire perimeter of the notch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. crob1

crob1
    from Colorado

Beautiful. I'd say a work of art.

6. endlessearth

endlessearth

Truly a meticulous and inspiring build.

7. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Hey flat n low next time you have to drill any truck frame that is thick or double wall, try using a tapered reamer , start with a small dia. Drill , then use a tapered reamer to take it up to the size u require . I have a set made by Lawson products , they are designed for this purpose, slow speed 1/2" drill with a swivel top handle will not send you for ride when it catches, I have drill many holes (reamed) in frames and axle flanges , works slick as shat !

8. Fuse box

Fuse box

Awesome build thread, and a damn fine truck sir!!

9. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

Still got that spare grill. Notified my granfather I told him 60 but you can barter with him hes a fleamarketer.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Tio Geo

Tio Geo

Looks great!!! Can't wait to see it in action! Great thread, thanks

11. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is one of the best threads on the HAMB. Bumping for an update!

12. For the last 3 weeks, I have been working every night out in the garage on trying save the original bed wood. I have been doing some unconventional and creative methods to try to save it, and it's been a challenge. It's not getting stained and varnished because it's too far gone for that. It'll get painted black like the factory did in '64.

If my experiment works, I'll post up the results. If it doesn't, I'll have some 50yr old firewood!

I'll start posting up more pictures soon. I've got a lot of mods going on, but it's all in different stages of completion.

13. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Hey flat n low , u might want to use a solid black deck stain , it will adhere better than paint to the old wood ! Just a thought

14. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

Chop it, drop it, shorten it!!!! ;)

Attached Files:

• c10.jpg
      c10.jpg
      File size:
      158 KB
      Views:
  15. 66tintop-
    That's pretty much what I was thinking as well. In this case, stain is better than paint.

bubblesbacon-
    That is BAD ASS!!! I gotta stay on target and not get sidetracked, but if I saw picture that at the beginning of the project, sparks would have been flying! Thanks for the PhotoChop, I'm definitely saving that one.

16. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Oh wow! Don't show Bob!!

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I drove one of these that was chopped as a parts hauler in the early eighties for a resto shop I worked at. Just seeing that picture made my head do the turtle thing and suck down between my shoulder blades!

18. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

It's definitely cool but won't work with the direction it's going! We need to keep Alex focused!!

19. Man, if Bob saw that, he would steal the truck and then call me when he finished it. That guy would chop his wife's Acura if he could get away with it, and it would turn out awesome because he's a damn good metal man.

I've earned a reputation in the past for double-clutching and changing direction on projects, but this one has a clear objective and I'm 100% focused on finishing it.

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey, at least an entire town doesn't refer to something partially built as being "Chipped-Up" as Phoenix does... In reference to changing stuff around...

21. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

Hey, I just read this entire thread. Excellent job!

I love that your taking your time and doing things the right way! It's tough to be sitting on a project when you could've just slammed it together to drive it.

22. JohnT

JohnT

Would you mind passing along Dave's contact info?

I'd like to pick his brain a little about a 37 cord that he helped build a while back......
    (If it's the same guy) It's a Cord with a tornado drive train...

thanks. shoot me a PM if you'd like.

23. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

any pics of the 55 stepside you kinda show in the back ground . it has some meat stuff under it.. love what a i see

24. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

Bitchin! You could say I have thing for these trucks...if you need any parts let me know. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392946878.066605.jpg who'da thunk they look good chopped!

Posted using the Full Custom MUNDSTER app!

25. druids62

druids62

Mr. MUNDSTER, if that is your truck, the stance is perfect! Nicely done. If you are dealing parts on these, I'd sure like to get my grubby hands on an original a/c dash insert like Mr. Flat-N-Low's.

26. The '55 has been dry-docked while I finish the '64. The '64 will actually be used to chase parts, and it was more important to finish it first. Here's a picture of the '55 pulled out of the shop when it still had the magnesium Torq-Thrusts on it.
    [​IMG]Here it is with the 16x12 ET Fuelers installed in the back. The tires are 29x16.50-16 Hoosier Pro Street radials. Haven't bought the front wheels yet. I'm still undecided on the Real Rodders Wheels spindle mounts or the standard Sprint Halibrand in 15x5.

[​IMG]

The truck is my first vehicle with air ride. Because it's a narrowed rear end with a stepside bed, we had to go with a cantilever set-up
    [​IMG]

It's a 3-link set-up designed by my buddy, Mike Jones, who owns Exile Fabrication in Hesperia, California.
    [​IMG]
    I have worked in aerospace since I was 17, so the welds had to be perfect. Mike is a welding mo-fo.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  27. Wow! Nice truck!
    I love the '60-'66 Chevy trucks. You've definitely got "The Eye", my friend! The stance on your truck(s) is perfect.

28. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

Druid62 thanks, I have the slide type in parts stash, the pull type I have never seen in person,for a/c. I have the pull style for the heater/def in my 64.

29. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

Thank you! Same to you. As if your 64 didn't say you know what your doing, the 55 seals the deal, wow!

30. druids62

druids62

Your buddy's welding is absolutely incredible!!!!!! I guess the box floor will actually be a window?!?