Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bad Banana Resurrection - 55 Chevy Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Banana, Aug 10, 2010.

1. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Keep on keepin' on my friend. Looking forward to updates when you are ready!

2. PandorasBox99

PandorasBox99

Do what you got to do. Do what you can when you can.

3. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Hope to see the "Bad Banana" at the Meltdown Drags again this year.

4. DH9185

DH9185

No need to get any faster as far as I'm concerned. You blew my doors off at Spring TRP. :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Nice vid from Milan, I could watch it on my ol' heap 'puter. Alot I don't see.
    Go, go, Bad Banana

6. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Hey Facebook users... I am in the lead of a contest on Facebook trying to win a new pair of wheels for the Bad Banana. Go to the link below and first "like" the page, then look at the first post that reference the American Rebel Wheels and "like" that post as well!!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/BadBanana55ChevyGasser

Thanks!!!

p.s. It would be cool to go "like" the American Rebel Wheels Facebook page as well...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  7. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

that is a good idea! ;)

8. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Thinkin' of the ol' man today. Lost him one year ago this morning. Seems longer than that...:(

9. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Time for an update. I took Austin out to the local track to get his feet wet in this car. He has been a huge help in putting this car back together and now that he is old enough, I felt it was time. I have had a few folks tell me they think I am nuts to let a kid that young drive this thing but I felt he could handle it. I did tame it down quite a bit. Also made him leave from a dead idle and limit him to 1/8 mile. He did great and the video shows from his very first time driving the car by himself and first run to where he ended up at the end of the day. He ended up making 9 runs total and lost in the semi-finals of the trophy race.

It was pretty emotional for me to see that car live driving down the track.. I haven't seen that since I was a teenager..

Anyway... enjoy the video.

ProEnfo likes this.
  10. Nice video!! The banana sounds GREAT.

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Bravo! Great to see him out there having fun! Thanks for the video!

12. 55Belairman

55Belairman

The kid did great. The legacy continues. Good luck to both of you guys.

13. That is good stuff right there, kudos to you for letting him get behind the wheel.

14. loudbang

loudbang

Outstanding job pop. He had a smile after that first run you couldn't have pulled off his face with a 1 ton wrecker. He will remember that day forever it's burned into his memory.

What is the switch mounted in one of the right side steering wheel spokes for?

15. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Shhhh... That is a non HAMB friendly trans brake button that was disconnected yesterday... ;)

16. guitard

guitard

Doesn't matter where you run, how fast you go, or any challenges this year - that right there is the single best thing to happen to this car and its legacy with (and outside of) your family. You mentioned this being an anniversary year for the car, well there's the celebration... give the kid a high five from me on behalf of the hundreds of us with you through this whole thing as bystanders. Kid earned those runs, showed respect - composure - and some balls. That's a good combo in life. HE rocks, YOU rock, your CAR rocks, and your DAD rocks.

Bad Banana and Rich1028 like this.
  17. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Bad Banana win.jpg

Well.. The story just keeps getting better. Austin won the trophy class at Lapeer Dragway today. Awesome job for only the second time behind the wheel!!! It was great watching that old car go rounds today!!!! Note that he has his KFC uniform on as he only had about 15 minutes left until he had to clock in at work! It took 5 rounds to get it done!

Yea.. I yelled when his win light came on in the final...:)

Countn'Carbs and s55mercury66 like this.
  18. 55Belairman

55Belairman

Way to go Austin!. Dad and Grandpa are very proud. What a tradition.

19. GREAT JOB KID!!! My heart really goes out to this family. LET THE FAST TIMES ROLL!!!!!!

20. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Awesome!! Good to see an update and good on you to give the kid a buzz!

21. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

I have watched your threads from the start. you and your DAD , all though gone from here, should be proud of the cars life. its touched generations.

22. cooljunk

cooljunk

Great job Austin, Wish I had been there.

23. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Found this pic from a couple years ago at Beaver Springs. Those are the 60' timers on the track I am about to clear.. :D

027.JPG

24. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

What a wonderful story..congratulations to all of you guys!

25. 69fury

69fury

Love that car! If it was posted, i musta missed it, but when/why did you switch from the Supertricks up front to the steelies. I'd love to run Supertricks on my falcon gasser, but am nervous about running them as it will also see some cruising and highway miles. DId you have any issues with them? -rick

26. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

I still have them and run them on occasion. Some nostalgia venues frown upon them so I switch them back and forth as necessary. The steelies are probably 60 lbs heavier (the pair). They hold the front end down and slow the car down when I run them.

27. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

I haven't updated this in a while. My dad's younger brother (who I have mentioned in previous posts) still lives in central Pennsylvania and has been talking to me and asks when and where we are running. I saw an opportunity in Norwalk this past weekend and we went down there to run. I was able to finally give him a ride in this car he has so much wanted to ride in for just about as long as I had. So I was able to give him a burn out and about a 5 second launch. Here is the video:

Right after that run, Austin asked me if he could try launching the car off the transbrake hard enough to make it wheelstand. I told him this place would be the best place to do that since it is so flat, sticky, and wide. So.. I made a few changes and turned him loose with it. I don't have any video but the track photographer did capture a nice sequence. This is the high point:

BSC Austin Wheelie 7-20-14.jpg

He stayed with it for quite a while then breathed it a bit and it came down and bounced then headed toward the wall but he shifted it then gathered it up and finished the run to the delight of everyone in attendance including his Mom who looked at me with a WTF? look on her face...LOL.. ;) He was so geeked up when he got back to the pits he wanted to do it again! He ALWAYS falls asleep when we drive anywhere but he was wide awake the whole way home! It may be hard for me to get back behind the wheel now because he will be in it all the time... :D

By the way... that is the Rebel Reaper in the other lane... He is a brave man!! :)

28. ahgarageohio

ahgarageohio
    from ohio

I've followed this thread from the start and it was awesome to finally see the car!! And kudos to you for letting Austin launch the car!!

29. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Heres a different one from the bunch. Niagara Dragstrip

Attached Files:

30. CGkidd

CGkidd

That is a awesome wheel stand pic.