Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Ford with SBC and stock steering exhaust options?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Russco, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

What are you running? I'm aware of the manifold turned around trick, but I need a decent flowing exhaust. I see that weedeater has some mandrel bent down pipes to work with ram horns or maybe block huggers? So what type of headers are you guys running? Pics would be nice too if you have them especially around the steering gear.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

been using Sandersons--dr side kicks forward and clears nicely=similar to 55-57 block huggers for 605 box

3. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

I'm currently running the "turned-around" manifold on my coupe. Of course, there's the old 265 manifold trick, but that thing is tiny. I just don't see how any existing rams horn type manifold could clear a stock box or a Saginaw 525. I have run across this pic of what is supposedly a 1980s Chevy manifold which looks to be of halfway decent size that MAY clear steering and not look too bad, but I've never put my hands on one. DD

Attached Files:

4. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

[​IMG]Try these so I won't have to

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Tim do you know the part number for the Sanderson's? You also mentioned once the Parr block huggers worked too? Manifolds are out of the question they are just too restrictive.

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can find the number--my 40 has PAR ones with a 525 box and they fit too-never have used manifolds either

7. Block huggers are what everyone has recommended to me, but I think some fenderwell exit headers would be neat. Especially since the inner fenders open up back by the cowl, I would think they wouldn't need to be hacked up too bad to run the headers back there, down to a capped dump in front of the running board. I'm not sure what style your going for on the car as a whole, but it could be cool.

8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I am using Sanderson part no. CC-4 on my 350 Chevy in a 1946 Ford. The drivers side exits towards the front. I am also using a Saganaw 605 box so you have to route the exhaust around it. Check out their web site because there are 3 versions of the CC-4.

9. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I've got the 2 inch rams with the weedeater pipes, i can snap a pic tonight....works good for me. 36 Ford 350 chevy. vega box

10. richie rebel

richie rebel

i have the same setup but,do not like the 2' cast rams,they really restrict the flow,my motor is a 383,might look into the sanderson huggers.........

11. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Same boat as me, I'm approx. 450-500 HP /TQ I'm hoping the shorty headers will be adequate. those Sanderson's look nice I like the Weedeater down pipes too they are mandrel bent but wont work with the Sanderson's it looks like.

12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Russco--sent some pics I think--you can see the hoses too for remote oil filter--more room for exhaust Tim

13. richie rebel

richie rebel

not familiar with the weedeater down pipes????

14. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

15. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

the weedeater pipes are 2 inch, I wanted to run the vette 2.5 inch but was afraid that having they wont work with the 2 inch pipes

here is a really bad shot of mine, you can see the pipe where it turns around the steering box
    Patriot makes a full length header that may work.

the pic came out upside down

here is some more I found from here....

16. richie rebel

richie rebel

that is pretty much my setup,and i hate it,same deal, all 2' pipe........

17. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

here is a dumb question, my pipe is 2 inch all the way back, if i ran those sandersons, and had 2.5 inch pipes from the header to my 2 inch smithy mufflers via an adaptor would that make any sense or would i have to run 2.5 all the way back?

18. I'm running Patriot fenderwell headers on mine. You'll have to cut a small piece off the back of the inner fender panel and if your car sits real low in front you'll have to "message" one pipe on the drivers side header to clear the tire.

These are the only pictures I have on hand right now.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

what size collector, and what size pipe all the way back?

that car is bad ass by the way...

20. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I have 2" Rams horn manifolds on my 40 with a 605 box and the 2" SS exhausts snake around to clear the box/pitman arm and oil filter but it is tight. On the same set up in my 1941 Ford Pickup I used the CE motor mounts 605 box and used a 1968 Chevy Pickup Pass side exhaust manifold on the Drivers side (pointing forward) and then snoked the 2" SS pipe around it. I think the cast iron mainfolds give the car a less "tinny sound" so I have stuck with those on my cars. Others may like the block hugger mainfolds but each to his own. geoford41

21. You can use a passenger side ram horn off of a '68-'72 chevy truck. It is a turn back style, but when you put it on the drivers side it points to the front and you can route the exhaust around the steering box. Learned this years ago from an old guy who built a lot of '40 fords with sbc in them. There is one on the engine in my avatar. Hope this helps.

22. birdman1

birdman1

Man!! If you guys are having a tough time figuring out chevy exhaust, you should try a 351 cleveland!! I had to raise the engine and cut the firewall and it still took 3 u-joints to get to the steering box!! Sometimes I almost wish my Dad would have stuck with chevys, just to make my life easier!!(GOtta follow in His Footsteeps)LOL:p

23. Those are our H8033-1. They are a 1 5/8" tube with a 2 1/2" collector. they run about $435.00 in Raw steel, or $600.00 Ceramic Coated.

dalesnyder likes this.
  24. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

The pipes I show earlier are a different set from what I bought form Weedetr in the past. I just got off the phone with them and the pipes they have are made for block hugger style headers not the rams horns... 2 different pipes, same size different flange.

25. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I went with the Sanderson's CC4-P made for the SBC in the 40 with stock or Saginaw box they clear nicely. Tim had said he had used them before with good reviews too. I may switch to a remote Oil filter though for extra clearance but there is plenty of room for the down pipe at the steering gear now. Those long tubes look good too but I would have to see them on a car to see how they worked out. The TKO600 trans I'm using is taking up a lot of room as well. The fender well headers look nice too and I actually have a set of those on my truck but I am planning to route the A/C and heater lines in that area so they wouldn't work either.

Attached Files:

26. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's some I built for mine. They exit between the inner fender and the body without modification to either. I had to make them 2 piece so I could remove and install them without removing the fenders. Basically a tri-Y design.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  27. Looks good Russco. My motor is stock so I rounded up a right side rear dump for the left. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392606197.039574.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. verde742

verde742

throw in the mix clutch linkage, and tie rod interference..

looks great on the stand... carry on...