Register now to get rid of these ads!

Merc from "Grease"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodtennis, Feb 15, 2013.

1. oldolds

oldolds

2. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

man when I was a kid I wanted those razor hub caps and Olivia Newton John, wearing the black "bad girl" outfit from the Shake shack Scene at the end so badly.

3. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems like CrashNBurns should get some kind of commission. After all he is the guy that said it really needed the "cammed up flatty". I mean it is a cool car and all but if it had a 350/350 it wouldn't be worth anything near $130 Grand....right? LOL!

4. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

$143K now! Yikes!!!!

5. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I thought the same exact thing when I saw that.

6. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

Just a hair over 150K now!!!!

7. Yes, it was in the movie so that adds $$. But, its not a convertible... but a top-less coupe. Not even a folding top. Shouldn't that be mentioned somewhere in the listing?

Steve

8. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

you guys act like this car will be bought by someone that likes and cares about the actual car and how it was built or what it was. Its an very cool part of movie history.

9. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Wow!I wonder what the AmerIcan Graffiti Mer would fetch?

10. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

back lot of warner brothers all weathered away for 30 years...

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I guess if a guy had the money and REALLY loved that movie it might be worth it. Funny how cars that most car guys would chuckle at can be considered cool because of what they are and what movie they were in.

Don

12. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Before you lay out 160k, you have to admit that you watched the entire movie...

13. daddio211

daddio211

14. $160,000 and hasn't hit reserve?

I am Speechless ~ totally without speech :eek:

15. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know, I was thinking the same thing when it hit $125K. Starting to wonder if it is some kind of PR hype scheme. You know list the car, put a million dollar reserve on it. Then just start bidding with ghost accounts to make it seem like there is a ton of interest for it....I don't know...just saying...

If it is true that has got to be one the highest prices ever paid for a Merc with its top cut off?

16. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

I think its how you beat eBay out of fees, set the reserve so high it will never be reached, find your price/buyers and then make the deal in person. I can't even imagine the eBay fees on 160K

17. Dar73

Dar73

I call BS.....

18. Who in their right mind.....well maybe that explains it.

19. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Its not the sexiest Merc, but it has movie history which makes it a desired car and worth more than the average.....I should of bought it off of Papke!

20. fuzzface

fuzzface

"I can't even imagine the eBay fees on 160K "

ebay motors fee is different than ebay main core fees. If he is a low volume seller, he got charged $125.00 or if he is a high volume seller than he got charged $50.00 only.

Makes the smashed up merc at Copart a few weeks ago look dirt cheap.

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

hmmm... the one posted on ebay looks like an actual convertible to me. I just saw this story on Yahoo news and it showed both cars, the one with the top cut off was obvious.

22. 160k.... wow this whole thing just kinda went down the toilet bowl.

as of the American graffiti cars, the merc, after sitting in a storage lot for a year or two after filming was bought by david lee roth of van halen, then after a while he sold it to the king himself brian setzer. who then sold it for a ridiculously low price cause he thought it was a piece of junk...

so I guess he had the same thoughts about it as us..... yet another reason to like him...

after that it changed hands several times.. there is a rumor that some chick even committed SUICIDE inside the car. (and you thought smoking inside a car made it smell bad...) the car now resides in a storage unit sitting and rotting away... I never personally favored the car but still id like to see it back, especially since all the other cars in the movie have been saved..

23. Grease was a movie??? I thought it was a hard hitting documentary about teenage gang culture in the 1950's....

24. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

It is too much money for the average person, However "Grease" is one of those all time movies musicals that is still being shown and played out today. I would buy this car if I had the money to waste. Bottomline is there are car guys who have more money than they could possibly spend in a lifetime. (Jay leno comes to mind) If I were one of them I would bid. hell "OO7's" car sold for a million a few years ago.....personally I would rather have this merc. just my 2 cents

25. fuzzface

fuzzface

It was a no sale at $180,100

26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Grease: the movie. I always thought it was funny because the people in the movie looked to old to be teenagers. For the price of the car, now the owner knows what to insure it for.

27. i'd a thought the car would be worth less with new paint on it?

28. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

You can't fix stupid!
    Jay

29. I remember being told this car would be restored and at this years GNRS . I don't remember seeing it.I don't think I missed it.

30. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I didn't see it either.