Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage ....The 2014 AMBR Winner is....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Thanks Boss;)

2. If you decide to give it a try, I can give you a few fine choices out of my humidor. But understand that the Partagas cigar smokers have an issue with the Cohiba and Monte Cristo guys, and you don't even want to get into the whole Cuban versus Dominican. Lord help the guys who want to argue about the mis matched leaves on the outer wrapper ~ especially when it comes to madura's (the dark colored cigars).

Personally I stay out of it and just enjoy a good Punch Corojo with a glass of Fine Whisky and reflect on why I haven't built an AMBR car yet so that I can join in the drama afterwards.

3. I'd rather see you drink some JD and apply your talent to another 60's drag car:D

4. please don't shut this thread down. Were shut down here because of ice and Looney Tunes just went off so this is the best show on right now and now we have a guest star on just like on Gilligan's Island. If Mr Pete says the paint was good and this car was the best choice, that's a good enough endorsement for me.

Our guest star will probably leave and we will still be stranded on the island anyway.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  5. madmike3434

madmike3434

==========================================

NAH, the guest is not on a quest, unless p-wood is looking for good cigars.

You guys down south of the Mason Dixon line, need to spend a winter north of the 48th parallel and learn to drive in the white stuff. That way you will be able to slow down, drive safely and not end up in the ditch.

Oh and by the way, watching the white stuff morons driving up here , will give you white hair , and a respect for the stuff.

mike lynch

6. thanks, spelling issues fixed. I need to have my glasses on when I type. You are also correct on our snow driving skills.

now back to our regular scheduled program.

7. madmike3434

madmike3434

=============================================

The same type rule also exists for the Detroit DON RIDLER award, which is a BEST CAR FIRST TIME SHOWN award. .............and also includes
    LOOKED IT UP............the don ridler award = Today it emphasizes three main things.....CREATIVITY--ENGINEERING AND WORKMANSHIP.

Its not restrictive to **only open cars** like GNRS....AMBR.

I am only familiar with these two major indoor car show awards.

Is there anything else out there with some history, prestige and glory attached to it. ???

mike lynch

8. the-rodster

the-rodster

I just don't think it is very pretty.

Maybe if the top was chopped, and some different wheels/tires.

But, as is, kinda homely.

It is the first Chevy to win, correct?

Rich

9. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Don

Thank you for your valuable insight into a fine cigar.
    That will be helpful should I choose to go the cigar route.
    Certainly alot better than being thought of as a dumb shit, because of the selection one might make with out knowledge or experience.

10. Thanks ;)
    The rules used to allow a car to be shown more than once at the AMBR, in fact there have been multiple winners, like Ermie Immerso's Golden Star
    [​IMG]

Lonnie Gilbertson's 23 T
    [​IMG]

Bob Reisner's Invader
    [​IMG]

and Ala Kart when George was a young man
    [​IMG]

With the new rules, no one will win twice again

11. I see a horse, and it's down

12. madmike3434

madmike3434

=========================================

So Rich, ya, first chevy to ever win GNRS AMBR.

What's your opinion on the other tub in the show the black 1932 ford. Looks fantastic with the side curtains on it doesn't it ? Exciting, really exciting.

Cannot tell if its got a lowered lid , chopped ws posts or not, if it is, not much.

Now the gloss black wheels, guess they are steel because the supposed info on the tub is that its running all period correct options and dooo dads. Those wheels do ZERO for the car, nothing like killing the look of a car with black wheels for a NEW CAR stealth look........boring boring boring !

The headlights are some of those really expensive aftermarket period items I have seen auctioned on ebay, like $2000 +. Maybe he has the matching tail lights too ?

It has a flattie in it, 21 stud and supercharger and other bits around it. Super charger is discoloured , looks like gas stains.

You talk about bland appearing cars.......look at that black 32 ford touring again. It obviously is a quality car otherwise it would not have been selected for the GREAT 10 . If your a certified 32 ford freak nutbar, then it will tickle your fancy, otherwise it just doesn't come across visually.

I might just walk right by the car, it has nothing to stop me to look more.

mike lynch..........
    1935 chevrolet standard series steel roadster under construction

13. the-rodster

the-rodster

All the stuff on the black tub is rare parts.

Kinda too much, IMHO.

The wheels are high clearance 40 Ford option - very rare -I just found a set :)

The headlights are Econoline - again rare - came on LaFrance fire trucks

The grill is a Pines Winterfront - big $$ for a deuce

The list goes on.

14. the-rodster

the-rodster

Even the guy who designed it had a different top and wheels in mind..... :)

[​IMG]

15. , Actually, I was trying NOT to infer that, but I left part of my though process off trying to shorten the post. I agree whole heartily that at a show of this size and prestige, the judges most definitely need to block out everything else and let the cars speak for themselves. My questions with this particular car (personally, I liked it a lot. I think the signs detracted from the display and the car itself. They weren't particularly fancy or integrated into the display like most professional show car signs are, and there were way to many of them! I made it about halfway through the 4th one (there were 7 or 8) and was ready to move on to another car) are more about how much the display for the car factors in the judging of the car (if at all). Yes, I did feel the tone of the signs was kinda condescending, but as a judge I would have looked past that, it was more the impression that they gave me that someone involved with the car had felt that the car was to subtle to compete with the other entries, and therefore needed all this extra explanation. The signs were professionally made, but they didn't appear as more than an after thought to the display, in my opinion. There were several other cars that I though had made errors in showing the car, and two who had corrected them. The Thur. pic of the light blue '32 roadsters had the top on, and drew a lot of negative comments because the top ran uphill from back to front, I was pleased to note it was off the car on Sat, the car showed much better with out it on! The dark blue '32 had those hideous cutouts in the hood in Thursday's pic, but the hood was off on Sat. This car also showed much better without it on. Personally, I think the green roadster that got wrecked on Thursday had the potential to give them a serious run for there money prior to fate intervening, but it wasn't to be. I wonder if he'll be eligible to return to compete next year. Tecnically, it was at the show, but was the show even open before it was crashed?
    L

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. fleet-master

fleet-master

thanks Hotroddon, I knew there had been two time winners that's what got me wondering

17. fleet-master

fleet-master

who's 'they'? and 'these guys' you're referring to? I can only see one guy giving (gave) PeteE a hard time.

18. tractorguy

tractorguy

The winning car can continue to be discussed with lots of pros and cons......but one thing is absolutely true.....car owner Wes Rydell is a true class act and one of the most decent, down to earth people you will ever have the pleasure of meeting. And he loves to talk cars with anybody.

19. madmike3434

madmike3434

when chip drew the car and coloured it, they should have gone with these wheels IMHO . Those headlights never made it onto finished product , are too long, more 36 and up style. The fenders in front got the skirt part positioned rearward , distracting from the right on original style. The windshield lays back more in drawing than build.....why not run a duval type . The top basically follows the artists concept.

I like the bead rollered new firewall.

The overall concept and finished build flows from end to end .

Dying to see what has been done underneath to this.

mike lynch..........gives 2 thumbs up on this 35 chev tub

20. More like 12-14 of those stupid signs, plus the one that tried to tell the judges how to judge it .....

21. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Mike, Calm down remember your blood pressure. You're letting your "CHEVROLET" complex get the best of you again!!!!!!!!!! Larry

22. Yes, yes it is! ;-)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Don't know if it'll make it this next year or if it will have to be the year after that, but I know of one if not two different contenders that will make most of y'all go "HELL YEAH!".

24. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am definitely not a Deuce freak but that black tub really strikes me as visually interesting for some reason.

Gotta say that I like Chip's drawing much more than the finished product. Wheels make a big part of that difference.

25. madmike3434

madmike3434

lmaorotf, your as mad as a hatter
    BP checked today 128 over 80

mike

26. bonesy

bonesy

That's a great looking car.

Congratulations to those involved.

27. Ebert

Ebert

Me, too. Wasn't there to see the quality of all of the cars and I truly respect the votes of the quality judges, but just not my cup of tea...doesn't mean that it doesn't work for others! I married a blonde, but dig redheads and brunettes, too...but they have to have nice tops and great wheels....

28. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

After going back and reading all the post on this thread, I laughed so hard at this comment, I could not help myself from posting this pic from "hogans heros".....Could it be?....LOL (No pun intended) just good fun guys..

Attached Files:

29. Racewriter

Racewriter

I was there in 2010, and made my second trip this year. None of this year's finalists would have even gotten a sniff against the 2010 competition, except perhaps for the 427 SOHC roadster. In 2010, every finalist was what I think of as a "Holy shit, did you see that car?" car. This year....again, maybe the SOHC roadster. All due respect to P-wood and the rest of the judges, but this year's finalists were almost frighteningly boring. What's really funny is this - most of the entrants were trying to emulate a 'period piece' from the 1955-1965 period; however, in that period, none of this year's contenders would have even gotten a second look against cars like the Emperor, the Ala Kart, the Tognotti T, and the rest of the "Holy shit" cars of their day.

30. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

It definitely has that official motorcade car look to it. I'd like to take it on a roadtrip. I could see me in a sleeping bag passed out in the backseat behind a Stucky's or Flying J truckstop somewhere in Wyoming