Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 3 window HighBoy Build Begins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by geoking, Dec 12, 2012.

1. geoking

geoking

Well, we didnt win! smile. We received a class "participant" award. I'm happy for the winner.....But have to admit that being runner up'ish is disappointing. It was a tough class and we had a great time. The coupe showed nicely and I was surprised to see people from my past that I hadn't seen in over 20 years. It was also very nice to make a new friend with a fellow that won his class with a 36 roadster.

A huge thank you to Dustin, Fred and Josh. I enjoyed your company and appreciate your friendship.

Warmest Regards,
    George

2. daddio211

daddio211

The car looked absolutely amazing, George. You all did a beautiful job on the build and have every right to be proud.

My wife and I came by twice hoping to catch you but missed you both times. We'll catch you sometime soon.

My '27 T Roadster build: www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

George, the car is beautiful, and you and everyone who helped make it that way did a great job. Sorry you didn't come home a winner, but it's been great following this thread. :D

4. George, you don't need a trophy to tell yourself, Dustin, Fred and Josh that you're winners. The "award" is that beautiful 34 coupe that has been reborn to be enjoyed. I have really enjoyed following along on the build; thank you for sharing it with us.

Blessings,
    David

5. daddio211

daddio211

Oh he came home a winner, he brought that car home! Trophies mean nothing.

My '27 T Roadster build: www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

X2 That's about the nicest most detail oriented hot rod I've ever seen. Wish I could have seen it live at the show!

7. 1947vert

1947vert
    from Minnesota

George, your car was amazing and I feel lucky to have seen the car in person after following the build here on the HAMB. Now comes the best part driving it! ENJOY

8. ScooterCO

ScooterCO
    from Parker, CO

Can't drive a trophy.. Go drive your car!
    An amazing build, thank you for sharing it with the rest of us.

9. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

10. Bulletnose26

Bulletnose26

Thank you very much, for the time spent, sharing this build. Congratulations to your team of builders, they built one heck of a HotRod!
    I hope the story doesn't end here......get out and drive that thing!

11. daddio211

daddio211

We all knew that, there couldn't be anything bad said about George or his car. :cool:

12. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Here is how she looked displayed at the show.

[​IMG]

13. loudbang

loudbang

A couple more photos from bangshift.

1934 (800x533).jpg click to enlarge photos

1934 a (800x533).jpg

1934 b (800x533).jpg

14. geoking

geoking

Thank you all, for the very nice comments....it is very much appreciated.

Everyone has now made it home safe and sound. We still have work to do to finish the coupe.

1. She has only been driven in first and reverse. It will need to be road tested for adjusting the 700r4 automatic transmission throttle valve cable.

2. She will need to go for a front end alignment.

3. The heater hose fitting at the back of the head leaks. Not a hard fix , but a PITA to get to it via the fire wall.

4. There is an oil leak that we do not know if it is the rear main seal or the oil pan from the last minute thrashing to get the timing fixed.

5. The drivers side door latch needs adjusting to pull the door closer for sheet metal alignment .

6. She needs to be put on a dyno and be performance tuned.

7. Last ....but "NOT A HAVE TO".... the wiring harness for the EFI needs to be shortened.

That's about it...smile

Best Regards,
    George

15. Great to see you at GNRS George!
    The car is amazing!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391018406.001027.jpg

16. geoking

geoking

Mike ,
    Thank you for stopping by. It was nice to see ya'll.

For those that don't know who's whom in the photo...I'm the chubby guy on the left. Mike is on the right. The nice lady in the middle is Mike's sweet heart.(Amy)

Regards,
    George

17. fryguy

fryguy

. Seems like the car went over well and it looks like you had a blast at GNRS. In my book, thats a big success

18. geoking

geoking

Thank you Fryguy,

It was a nice effort and I am glad we did it. What's important for me now is to bring the build to completion.

3 items on the punch list are now complete.

1. The anti freeze leak has been repaired by replacing the gasket on the heater hose adapter plate at the rear of the head. PLUS adding sealant to the threads on the two bolts. Not sure which area was the actual culprit?
    Either way.....cross this off the to do list.

2. The fuel gauge wasn't working and replacing the sending unit has cured this. Not sure why a new unit wasn't working. Maybe it was just a grounding issue. check this one off the list!

3. The drivers door did not close flush and this was caused by the latch not pulling in tight enough with the new door seals. The latch was adjusted and all good now.

We still have the following to address.

1. Rear main seal leaks. We are hoping the seal will swell and fix itself before the dreaded effort to replace. ON hold for now. We shall see.
    2. Front end alignment will be scheduled
    3. putting her on a chassis dyno and tuning the fuel injection for peak performance will be scheduled
    4. EFI wiring harness will be replaced with a new one to eliminate the 42 inches that is coiled up under the dash. I KNOW IT WORKS!. But , it just isn't a clean install. Holley Sells a kit to build your own. I am dreading this but just cant leave it alone.
    5. I hate my Limeworks turn signals. Not sure if it is their product issue or our install? When you turn them off , it takes a moment for the power to bleed off and the flasher on the end of the arm to quit flashing. I want the thing to stop flashing IMMEDIATELY. smile. It's low on the priority list but still on the list just the same.
    6. The TV cable to the 700r4 still needs to be road tested and adjusted.

That covers all the issues and when all are completed , then I will be satisfied. smile.

Warm Regards to all that have been following the build. I really appreciate the kind words and support.
    George

19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

It's been fun watching this come together. Thanks for sharing.

20. geoking

geoking

http://youtu.be/C8TVysVzUhE

She's been in the after the show detail clean up stage and is almost fully de bugged. Today was tranny TV cable tune in / adjustment day.

So much fun! 25 MILES ON THE ROAD TODAY!

She still needs to have 3 items completed...chassis dyno and rear main oil leak and a new gasket water leak ( easy fix).

ALMOST THERE GUYS!

Loving the vroom part....

George

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  21. daddio211

daddio211

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/C8TVysVzUhE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Way cool!

22. loudbang

loudbang

Now it even sounds like a Hot Rod.

23. amen!

24. ScooterCO

ScooterCO
    from Parker, CO

The sound is awsome! Great looking ride..

25. geoking

geoking

Crocodile Tears.... She isn't making the power that she should and a compression test shows bad news on one bank. Please find TODAYS pictures. There is a little good news in that the oil leak will be easy to fix. grin.
    regards,
    George

Attached Files:

26. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

Looks like a damage piston?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. fryguy

fryguy

Not sure if I'm pointing out the obvious but I think it needs heads on the engine in order for it to run properly?:D

28. geoking

geoking

Good Morning Jason,
    A close inspection shows that the piston is ok. #3 and #5 cylinders have extremely low compression and we are betting on ring issues as the heads are newly rebuilt and look great. It's off to the Greeley Engine shop for a little discovery effort. I hope that it isn't anything major. I learned a valuable lesson and will not trust a purchased short block assy. in the future. In hind sight, it would have been a sound investment to have pulled it down at receipt for a thorough going through. The good news is that we have time to get her fixed and back together for the upcoming season.

While disappointed, It wasn't the Custom Auto guys fault. The blame falls squarely on my shoulders for my failure to insure it was right.

We shall see. I will report back as we learn more.

Regards,
    George

29. geoking

geoking

Here's the finding.
    LACK OF OIL DURING OUR INABILITY TO GET HER STARTED caused cylinder wash. When we had timing issues and pushed too much gas down her throat we screwed up. The fact that the intermediate shaft was too short and we swapped out early may have also contributed.

There is no major damage and the block will be honed, new rings , new seals/ gaskets and re assembly.

As a precaution, we will use a four barrel intake for running her in on the engine shop dyno before going back with the EFI.

Ill need to buy a set of spacers for this as I am running 331 heads on the 392.

A little relief to know what happened. smile

regards,
    George

30. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Glad to hear you have found no more than that, George. Also, I have been looking at your avatar for over a year now, and just recently found out is a Ford. I have been thinking it was a Plymouth business coupe all this time. Now I have to get new glasses.