Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "A" Basket Case

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ty johnson, May 12, 2013.

1. ty johnson

ty johnson

Got a little update. not much. Made some panels for above the doors since the don't make the coupe ones. Also got the trans tunnel in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Christom

Christom

That's going to be one killer coupe. I will follow this build with much interest. Can't go wrong with 4" chop - pretty standard and still good for head room. I bailed at 3.5" because of headroom concerns. Should have gone the wee bit more to 4" in hindsight but hey, haven't bumped my head on the roof!

3. ty johnson

ty johnson

Got a 5" hair cut today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. I love it. Keep up the great work!

5. pitman

pitman

Must have found the assy intructions...
    Looking good Mr. J !

6. ty johnson

ty johnson

One thing is for sure, with a car this dismantled nothing has fit. Ya have to make it fit with a BFH. LOL I'd like to get it going and just throw on epoxy primer for a couple cruz's. Then get the body work and paint done this winter. Thinking of a deep solid burgandy color.

7. ty johnson

ty johnson

The dudes showing off some skills.
    [​IMG]

8. zjerry

zjerry

Love the look of your model A..:)

9. pitman

pitman

Overhaulin', the home edition! ;)

10. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

cool build! I love seeing guys start out with a pile of parts and turning out bitchin hot rods. It gives me hope that my roadster might actually become something someday!

11. ty johnson

ty johnson

Got the front steering arms finished up last night. Mounted up the shocks and added another leaf back to the front spring. Grill and radiator is in there places. Pulled the old intake and set the new set up on so i can get the loud pedal and linkage done. Then i can get the body pulled and start blasting and get the parts all painted up. I'm very happy with how the air scoops just peak over the grill and that you can see them thru the windshield opening.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. ty johnson

ty johnson

I'm going to raise the header in the car so the window frame won't have as much chop too. I know somebody out there wants these blue valve covers. LOL I have a pair of Cal Customs and Cal Customs oil pan for a lil dress up. The original ones too.
    [​IMG]

13. hallrods

hallrods

Looks great well proportioned

14. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

X2 on that. You got the proportions dead on. Either way your headed in the right direction to a sweet ride.
    I like where this is headed.

15. ty johnson

ty johnson

Thanks Guys. Hopefully to have the body ready to pull off by te end of the day.

16. ty johnson

ty johnson

I was like wtf. I'm digging the new forum setup. Where does this old dog lie now?

Ty

17. teddyt

teddyt
    from U.S.

Great job,......a lot of people would have been too intimidated by that project. Looks amazing so far !

18. ty johnson

ty johnson

Not much to post. Took some stuff to the blasters today. In the of tear down. Going to paint it Dark Maroon with either black wheels or gold.

19. ty johnson

ty johnson

I was messing around with my deck lid skin that i got from Howell's(that took 3 weeks longer to get here than said) and came to realize it doesn't fit. the opening itself is off. Gonna have to figure out how the hell i can push/pull things around to somewhat square up the opening. Does anybody have the measurements for the opening?

20. ty johnson

ty johnson

Got out in the shop and started beating on the car again/ I bought another set of doors, had them blasted and built lower skins for them. Much happier with these over the others. Got the panels over the doors pretty much finished up and the fire wall. Need to pull the rear window panel and make a new lower section for it. It's going to be a bitch i know it. Should have all the sheet metal work done soon. It pays to start with a nicer body for sure, but i have hardly any $ in it, but a lot of time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. ty johnson

ty johnson

Had some left over parts i threw together. Not sure where i'm going with them. Looked at some coupe qtrs in the classifides. Maybe a coupster build in the future or a pick up.
    [​IMG]

22. jackalope

jackalope

It was nice meeting you yesterday Ty! Your coupe is very nice and the sheet metal work is looking great! I'm still fixated on that grill shell and insert. That will just finish it out nicely with the carbs and intake.

Really a super nice all around A. Just shows what talent and a yard full of parts can turn into!

Thanks again!

Grant

23. ty johnson

ty johnson

24. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Coupesters are hard to make them look right...I know, I'm doing one myself and still am not happy with it, YET. I say do an RPU....or maybe a Sport RPU? I really like the window frame look, looks mean! Has anyone done a Sport RPU before?

25. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Great looking coupe, Ty!

26. ty johnson

ty johnson

Well i got ALL the metal work done finally. Started in on the mud work now. I'm up in the air as far as color. I had a vision of a real dark solid maroon or just black. The frame will be black, wheels black too. Going to do the firewall in a ivory white. Just not sure about the body 100 %. What do you guys think, dark maroon or black?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. ty johnson

ty johnson

Thanks! You guys sell that 29 sedan?

28. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Go with Maroon. Everything looks good maroon!

No we are keeping the A (at least as if right now). Trying to sell the 28 pontiac sedan.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. jackalope

jackalope

Looks great! That is the skill I don't possess! (body/paint/mud). This is going to be one nice coupe. I love the deep maroon and as always, black never is outta style. There is a dark maroon sedan with fenders flaoting around my neck of the woods and the color is f'n awesome. I contemplated it but I am so far away from paint that thinking about it is moot;)

Keep the pics coming and hope to see this in person again before long.

30. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

That is some OUTSTANDING work you have pulled off there, sweet looking Hot Rod!
    My vote for color is deep dark green with black fenders! but I'm always in the minority!