Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

FACE-PLATE engagement..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  2. 65COMET

65COMET

SIX GUN;I forgot you had switched to a 5 speed,I didn't realize they used a combo of faceplate and proshift!!!The trans looks plenty strong!!! To each his own,but I use the Fairlane shifter location,puts the shifter closer to me! ROY.

3. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;are those collectors from Burns Stainless? Nice looking pieces,supposed to work well too!! I ran back to back tests on standard collectors and Merge collectors[unknown brand],did not notice any change in ET or MPH!! I would like to do a test again with the bigger 418 now,the old test was on the 'little' engine! ROY.

4. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Thanks for the explanation Six-Gun! Once pointed out, easy to see. How much faster with 5 spd. over the Jerico? and did you change your rr. gear?

5. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

Roy:
    From what I know (witch isn't much) the Doug Nash race trans were PRO-SHIFT, and Liberty Gears offer the FACE-PLATE up-grade...

6. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

Al:
    That video was the first & last time I went out last year, so I have to wait a few more months to see if it will make a difference in performance...

7. 65COMET

65COMET

SIX GUN;what are the gear ratios in the 5-Speed? Did you need to change rear gear ratio? ROY.

8. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

[​IMG]
    Tweaking the combination!

9. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390708731.601167.jpg
    Next to a certain mercury today at the GNRS

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;I see you found the DUNGEON with my Comet wedged in there!!! Not looking forward to getting it out of there,going to be a REAL PAIN!!!!! ROY.

11. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Well I'd like to be there, getting more lake effect today and 9*, this is getting to be a pain. I did hit a local swap this AM, scored some new wrench sets reasonable, so had some fun. Hope you did a holeshot before you loaded up Roy.....Al

12. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;we can not move our cars out until 6 PM,not looking forward to the mayhem!!!!!!! ROY.

13. ec164

ec164
    from MI

I see that is late to then head home, plus I remember how most think which is why the ma-hem.....well just smile it's not all bad......Al

14. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

Roy:
    The gears ratios are..
    1st - 3.25
    2nd - 2.06
    3rd - 1.54
    4th - 1.24
    5th - 1 to 1
    I haven't made a full pass yet to see if I need to change the rear gear...

15. 65COMET

65COMET

SIX GUN;sounds like good gear ratios!!! Al;what a major cluster F_ _ _!!!! I can not believe the mayhem getting all those cars out,that bldg was never meant to house cars!!ONE door way,maybe two inches wider than most cars,you had to make at least a four point turn to get lined up for the door,then in less than 20 feet,you made another four + point left turn,go about 50 feet then another four or more point right turn through another doorway about two inches wider than your car!!! I have never been so happy to have my Comet out on the loose!! NEVER again!!! ROY.

16. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Roy-Sorry to not have been there to give you a hand on the way out. This house thing has us scrambling.

17. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;NO WORRIES!!! Each of us in the 'DUNGEON' helped each other,I think[HOPE] everyone got out with NO damage!!!! Offer still stands if you need help!!!! ROY.

18. ec164

ec164
    from MI

While reading post Roy I thought it would be last trip! Didn't sound fun, just the thought of a scrape may of kept me from entering.

Six Gun, In the past were you able to hit redline across the stripe?.....Al

19. sideoiler10

sideoiler10
    from Missouri

I am new to posting on this thread, so I hope you all can bear with me. I have been following all the comments and photos for quite some time. My name is Bob and I have been a 64/65 Comet freak since first seeing Jack Chrisman's 64 at Indy. About 3 or 4 years ago I was finally able to build a tribute Comet to Dyno's 64, who was my favorite racer of all from back in the day. I saw him several times and he always was willing to talk with fans.

I built the Comet mostly by myself but had a childhood buddy who was an excellent welder do all of that for me. I have driven it quite a bit since completion. Drove it part of the way on the 2012 Hot Rod Powertour. I have ran it a few times but I am so out of practice from when I used to race. My goal is to get into the low 11's at least.

427/488 ci, 603 hp on the dyno, 4.30 detroit locker, 35 spline moser rear, and a TKO600. Oh, and yes, I know Dyno's 64 (as was all 20 of the coupes was the Caliente model. I had originally bought a beautiful little all original 64 Caliente from Texas but once I got to driving it around I decided it was just too nice to cut and weld on. I sold it and bought this Cyclone that had a race history with the 289 4-speed that was in it. I got it running with the 289 before I started the build. I still have the original 289 and 4-speed toploader, headers, and all the accessories. They are stored on a pallet in the shop. If anyone is interested in an original 289 and 4 speed that are numbers correct for a 64, I might sell them.

Hope I didn't bore you with too many details.

I have a good stack of photos from the 60's that I took at Indy and a few from the old Alton, Ill strip in the mid-sixties. If there is any interest in seeing some of them I'll try to make time to post a few.

Thanks, Bob

Attached Files:

20. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Welcome Bob, Great looking car! I like the white steel wheels Nostalgia all the way. I look forward to the old Comet photos you have, hope you find the time to post them. Glad you posted your car and filled us in......Al

21. 65COMET

65COMET

Bob;nice looking 64 Comet! I would think with the HP that FE is putting out you should be easily in the high 10s! If you want to make it a true Drag Car you may need to step up the rear gear,bigger slicks[at least a 29.5X9X15 Stock Eliminator slick],better clutch and a race prepped trans. JMO , ROY.

22. sideoiler10

sideoiler10
    from Missouri

Thanks for the kind words guys. Roy, I have already regretted the tranny selection. I have been looking at the larger slicks. I am pretty well limited to the 10.5s that I have unless I do a mini-tub. I could still go with the 29.5 or 30s though. When I built it my goal was to make it as near like the originals as possible, with the exception I wanted a 5th gear for occasional street use. I used all the Crites parts for the build.

My primary problem at this point is lack of practice and poor reaction times. But I plan on addressing those issues this spring.

I've been looking at different trannys also. I currently run all McLeod clutch and hydraulic T/O. Heck, I think a Toploader 4 spd. might do a better job than the 600.

I'll try to post some photos tomorrow. Bob

23. SOHC427

SOHC427

Hi Bob,

That is a real Beauty of a car you built! I, for one would love to see some more vintage 64/65 Comet pictires.
    And welcome!
    Eric

24. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Welcome !!! Your car is REALLY NICE !!! Looks awesome!!!

25. sideoiler10

sideoiler10
    from Missouri

I have posted a few photos I took back in the 60s. All were taken at the 64 or 65 Nationals at Indy, except for the Premier Motors Comet which was taken at Alton, IL in early 64, right after they began racing.

Bob

Attached Files:

26. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Great Stuff Bob! The Sachs and Premier Comets are my Favs!:cool:.....Al

27. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Great stuff Bob!

28. 65afxcomet

65afxcomet

Great vintage pics Bob , very cool. Anybody notice flags on Premier comet's front fender ? Are those 2 cyclone flags back to back ?? Or a one piece emblem i can't tell .
    Hamps

29. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

30. SIX GUN

SIX GUN