Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features How many of you guys have a 1940-1941 Non-truck Mopar ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemiken, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

2. j hansen

j hansen

3. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

I had a similar dilema with a gearshift handle, i was waiting for years to find the right shifter for my Automatic 70 `Cuda floor shift. Then i dawned on me to just build what i wanted and it is looking like i will be offering up my shifters to the world as a product.
    When in doubt, just knock it out.
    Try making your own fender skirts, start with cardboard to get a feel of what you would like to see visually and then transfer what you made on to steel.

4. j hansen

j hansen

I tried a few years ago to make the skirts,but gave up after a week.
    I am terribly bad at shaping sheet metal.
    But a solution may be in the works,I found skirts to a Plymouth 1940,maybe
    I can get them to fit on my De Soto.

5. desertdroog

desertdroog

I'll throw my hat in.

I picked up this mid-restoration project out of Alabama. Doing research right now on what to do first. It needs wiring (so I think it will be a good time to just go 12 volt), has the original flat 6 and a rebuilt front end. Missing a few things but for the most part very solid.

Attached Files:

6. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

WOW......
    What a beautiful car you have. Is it like a caramel colour ? I would leave it as it and modify the crap out of the running gear and suspension, that body looks perfect. What are your plans. :D

7. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

You would think the Plymouth skirts would come very close. Keep us posted on your progress, interested to hear what the results are buddy. :D

8. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

9. j hansen

j hansen

10. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

11. desertdroog

desertdroog

It is a Taupe color, I also dig it as it keeps an old timey feel. It was in the middle of a Resto and the owner fell too ill to finish it. I have to rewire it to get it on the road and redo the seat, as it sinks quite low when I get in it. There is also no interior. However, the body and paint is very nice, floors are clean and it is a good canvas to make my own. The engine has been rebuilt, as well as the suspension.

My immediate plans are to lower it via new springs/ relocate the pocket, upgrade the brakes to disc, convert it to 12 volt and de-arch the rear springs, upgrade the front sway bar (I heard tell that a 96 Cherokee 1" may work as it does for the 49's-50's?) and run it with the stock 6 cyl flathead until my Model A is on the road.

Then I want to go full bore into a chopped kustom with a MoPar V8 (360? 383? 440? Hemi?), skirts and some nice Sombrero's of some sort.

12. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

nice plans,,, do a search on this forum 40 plymouths or 46 47 48 plymouths,, a few projects going on with the lowering and disc brake conversion you may want to look at,,what are you doiing with the model A?

13. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

/\ /\ /\ I agree, plenty of information from what others have done.
    I am really loving that Taupe colour, different and refreshing to see something different, but still looks so slick. Pretty good to get the car the way you did, just makes your job easier not having to pull heaps apart.

14. desertdroog

desertdroog

The A Coupe has been on the back burner until the shop doing the chassis/subframe and metal work can get an open spot for me. It has a 401 and an M-20 4 spd slated for it, on ASC repro rails, '57 ford 9 inch...Going for an early 60's build with that one. The Plymouth is a stop-gap to get on the road while the A gets finished.

15. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

sounds kool,,,any pics ?

16. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

I have a feeling the stop gap is going to be a real winner in fit and function, it already has an awesome look to it already.

17. desertdroog

desertdroog

Check the link in my signature at the bottom of every post. It has a link to my album and thread here on the A.

Thanks Hemiken, I'm currently pricing out wiring harnesses now, so the ball is rolling.

18. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

Hey desertdroog, where in PHX are you located? Weird that we both went from 50s Fords to 40s Plymouths. I'd like to see yours sometime. I'm located in Mesa. Also, do you happen to know of any of these 40s Plymouths that are being parted out? I need some stuff for my 42. Look forward to hearin from ya!

19. tasvalowna

tasvalowna
    from tasmania

Hi , seeing you folks seem to know your 3 window coupes , maybe you could help identify mine . I thought it was a chrysler , because it has Chrysler Windsor on the dash , but the dash is different to all that i can find .
    Ive got the build number but it doesnt seem to quite fit in anywhere either.
    I think its a little later , a 48? but its got different running gear so the numbers off that dont help either.
    [​IMG]
    as you can see , it looks like a desoto grill from a later model perhaps , and the tail lights arent stock either so im a bit lost , any suggestions?

20. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Front fender runs in the and forms as part of the door, so i would say it is anything from a 1946-48, very hard to tell what make because of the modification to the front, it does have a later model DeSoto grille in it. You may be able to measure the wheel base and that could give you a better idea to what the car is, do a cross reference to see if it is the same as Chrysler or DeSoto, also see if you can find an over all length too.

21. desertdroog

desertdroog

I'm in North Central Phoenix. I am not aware of any being parted out, currently, but if I hear of something I will let you know. Also, take a look at the http://p15-d24.com/ forum classifieds. I imagine you would get a better shot at parts there than here, only because they are specific to MoPars.

22. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Any one else in to these cool select run of great cars...................

23. 1959apache

1959apache

[​IMG]

Working on mine again Hemiken. How's the weather in Australia?

fstfish66 and Valtin like this.
  24. actionrog

actionrog

Hi guys, I had a little accident in my 40 Plymouth and I'm in need of the front vertical stainless from the hood ornament down. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Roger

25. Kellen WM

Kellen WM

Here's my 1941 Plymouth. Nothing special but fun to drive.

Attached Files:

26. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

sedan is super nice

27. 64Kaddy

64Kaddy
    from SoCal

I do. 1940 Desoto coupe Project went stalemate about an year ago but will be back soon.

28. 64Kaddy

64Kaddy
    from SoCal

You were correct! i still have it.

29. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

40 desoto nice,,,

30. Time for a bump...
    [​IMG]